Buddy 50 vs Vino Classic

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pyaniglos

Buddy 50 vs Vino Classic

Post by pyaniglos »

Trying to pro/con between Buddy 50 and Vino Classic. Test drive a 2006 Buddy 50 and that feels like it will meet my needs. I have a Vino dealer in town the Buddy dealer is an hour away, and would require scooter ride in min i van. What thoughts are there out there when comparing these two scooters? Thanks in advance.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Are they both 50cc's? Or is the Vino Classic a 125? You really can't go wrong with either as parts are plentiful for both scoots. Are you buying new or used?
buddyz

Buddy 50

Post by buddyz »

If both are 50cc, I would definitely chose a Buddy. The vino is slower, doesn't have a side stand, has drum brakes front and back, costs more, smaller 90/90 tires and only comes with a 1 year warranty.

The Buddy is faster, bigger 3.5x10 tires, Disc brakes up front, costs less, has double the warranty at 2 years plus Roadside assistance, has a 12v charging port and you don't have regular oil changes and valve adjustments since it's a 2-cycle.

The only pros that a Vino has over a Buddy (in my opinion) is the fuel injection and fuel economy. But if you have any issues with the fuel injection, expect to pay a lot more than you would for a carb cleaning on a Buddy. As for the fuel economy, it's only 10 mpg estimated more.

Good luck with your purchase :-)

:) :)
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Looks like the Vino Classic is a 50cc.

http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Yamaha ... ino50.html

The question is, is it a older two-stroke or a newer 4-stroke model? O think the Classic moniker denotes the latter version.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I owned a Vino 125 at one point and really liked it. The Vino Classic (50), on the other hand, is way down on power and I would definitely choose the Buddy 50 among those two. Out of curiosity, why are you avoiding the Buddy 125? Only a little more money than the 50 and an outstanding all purpose scooter. (as an aside, we have owned a Buddy 125 for 7 years and it has only been to the shop about 3 times - for it's 200 mile service, for a tire, and for 1 or 2 of it's oil changes)
Last edited by Dooglas on Mon May 26, 2014 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pyaniglos

Post by pyaniglos »

Both are 50ccs. That's some really great info. Thanks.
pyaniglos

Post by pyaniglos »

Focusing on 50cc because of parking ease, no special permit or spot needed. I can park it the same place as bikes. Also don't have motorcycle license, something I may do anyway.
pyaniglos

Post by pyaniglos »

On the fence on used vs new. Depends on the scooter.
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

Go with the buddy.
Better support, better deal, Better looking
And a boat load more accessories
scoots greazy v MCgilacuddy.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

pyaniglos wrote:Also don't have motorcycle license, something I may do anyway.
Something I would strongly advise you to do anyway. There is no less risk and no less skill required to ride a 50 than a 125. Look into the MSF Basic course.
wschmechel

Post by wschmechel »

I have a Buddy 125 and recently added a 50cc Vino for my wife this weekend! For me, I love the nimbleness of the Buddy and the power available to me as well. I haven't driven the 50cc Buddy but from what I've heard it is the quickest 50cc on the market. My wife preferred the Vino because it is lower to the ground and doesn't "scare her" when she twists on the accelerator. The Vino has a great look and perfect fit & finish but under the cowling I like the Buddy!
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

the buddy the old 2t vino have the same motor.
the newer vinos have a 4t, so you trade off power/ speed for good gas milage and longer engine life.

personally i like the look of the buddy more, and the build seems more quality.. everything lines up right and the plastics seem tougher/ less brittle.

the cowling and legsheild on the vino seems thin/frail.

plus if you want to change something up, or add a accessory the buddy has way more options for performance and ascetics.
scoots greazy v MCgilacuddy.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

The Vino 50cc are very slow. They can be useful, and Yamaha makes quality stuff. The Vino also has it's own charm in the looks dept. Otherwise...eh.

Buddy 50 is fast and reliable.

I'll definitely add my recommendation that anyone considering 2 wheels should take the MSF class. Just teaches you a lot no matter what the displacement.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Sorry to being up an old thread. I was riding with my buddy today for the first time. He has a vino and was smoking me. I have a stock 50. His is too. What's wrong with my scooter? It is de restricted. And only 700 miles. His is older and also stock. Any thoughts?
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

JJScoot wrote:Sorry to being up an old thread. I was riding with my buddy today for the first time. He has a vino and was smoking me. I have a stock 50. His is too. What's wrong with my scooter? It is de restricted. And only 700 miles. His is older and also stock. Any thoughts?
It could be anything!

For example, a trivial explanation:
50cc scoots are so underpowered that a difference in rider weight or scooter payload could account for the differences in performance that you describe.
Have you switched scooters and tested which was faster with different riders?
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Yes. We are both the same size and weren't carrying anything. I was just shocked because the reason I got a buddy is that all the research I did said the 2t would out perform the 4t scooters. I'm now wondering if that is true. Mine is brand new so I'm really not looking to start modding it yet while under warranty, but I am thinking I might need to. Im going to take it in to the shop and let them see if they can find out anything. On the GPS I run 37mph on flats- that seems normal to me, but when I saw him all day just leave me in the dust and out accelerate me from a stop and while driving I started to sount it is really running the way it should.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

JJScoot wrote:Mine is brand new...

... I started to [doubt] it is really running the way it should.
If your scooter is brand new, it's probably still breaking in.
(Although I honestly don't know if the breaking in process works the same on a 2T engine that it does on a 4T engine)
On a 4T scooter the bike doesn't reach full potential until at least a good 1000 miles are on the clock. Even then, many would argue that it still has more power to deliver as it continues to break in.

From an unrelated conversation about a motorcycle that I test rode earlier this week: "Yes, the bike is a little special. Ported heads and increased compression and about 100 hours of tuning. Miles also really help (over 10k is where they are fully broken in)."

I wouldn't purport that it takes 10,000 miles to break in a Buddy engine ;)
...but it does take some. If your bike is brand new expect it to just get better!

Changing tacks:
See if your friend will switch bikes, see how the two run against each other with different riders, and report back!! :)
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

We traded and got the same results. He got it used with just over 900 miles. The previous owner said there were no modifications that he knew of. I guess I'm wondering 1- what top end speeds (real/gps) is everyone else getting on their stock 50s. And 2- is it really true that the 2t should out perform the 4t of the same size.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

If your bike is brand new and suffering from a lower top end speed, I would bet that it has not been derestricted yet. Ask your dealer if they did this. It involves removing an exhaust restriction plate in between the muffler and engine block as well as an extra washer in the variator assembly. The removal of the exhaust restrictor allows for better exhaust flow out of the engine while the removal of the variator washer allows the the CVT belt to engage the variator farther out on the edge while at speed.

Sorry, I re-read your post and saw that you said it was derestricted. The easy answer would be that either the dealer did not actually derestrict the scooter or only removed part of it.
Last edited by cummingsjc on Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

If you had both a Buddy 50cc and a 2 stroke Vino 50cc, and they were both fully de-restricted, the Buddy would be a bit faster on the top end. The Buddy has a higher final drive gear ratio. I use to know the ratios for both. A friend bought a MINT 50cc Vino and we de-restricted it just to see what it was capable of. Then we ran into a beat up 50cc Buddy and it walked away from the Vino. The Vino is now modded beyond modded, as thats what is was purchased for. But both of those stock 2 strokes de-restricted, the Buddy will walk away on top end. Also, its hard to say what a top speed should be. Weight, height, maintenance, break-in procedure etc all play into a 50cc scooters top speed. But the Buddy 50cc is the fastest current stock production scooter on the market, once it is de-restricted properly.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Mine was derestricted according to the dealer. He told
Me they removed the washer and exhaust restricter. I really have no reason to not believe him, since the bike definitely goes over 30. I go 36/37 on flat ground per gps. I will double check though. I don't have a torque wrench- is it ok to put the variator nut back on without it? Some have said the buddy will get faster with more break in, but I can't imagine it getting 3-4 more mph just from that.

Edit to add: The vino is a 4 stroke.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Have you removed the Variator already? If not, take a sharpie and put a registration mark through the end of the crankshaft and onto the Variator nut. When you re-install, go slightly past your mark. Be sure the belt is out of the way, so you tighten the nut onto the boss and not the belt. A small dab of blue loc-tite is also a good idea.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

I checked and the spacer is not there. The exhaust restrictor is out. I understand if I am at top speed, I'm just blown away at how much faster the 50. 4t was than mine. The reason I got the Buddy was because of the 2t performance factor it supposedly has over a 4t. Pretty disappointed now.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

All I saw was a little plastic washer. I tried to upload a picture but I keep getting a message that it is too big. Anyone know if that plastic ring should still be there?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Resize the photo. Most photo editors will do that, and there are any number of image resizers available as free downloads.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

On my phone couldn't figure it out. Try this link to Imgur for my picture.

https://i.imgur.com/3uB6QaT.jpg
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Restriction washer! Get that thing outta there!
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Seriously?! I thought it was a metal one that was thicker than that. I'm going to have a pretty heated conversation tomorrow with the dealer that told me it was done! I'm fuming right now.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

JJScoot wrote:Seriously?! I thought it was a metal one that was thicker than that. I'm going to have a pretty heated conversation tomorrow with the dealer that told me it was done! I'm fuming right now.
Keep in mind they're not supposed to de-restrict them. It's an 'under the table' discussion.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

They said they do it all the time.I'll give them the benefit of the doubt- I believe it was just an oversight on their part. There really is no reason for them to not have done it, they dont charge anything.

I am actually relieved it is there, because I was so disappointed that I got a brand new Buddy 2t and there I was getting passed easily by an 8 year old 4t. At least I hope this is why...
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Totally figured that was the issue. Once removed, the scooter will be much more enjoyable.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

cummingsjc wrote:Totally figured that was the issue. Once removed, the scooter will be much more enjoyable.
You nailed it. I watched that dealer prep video a million times and could've sworn the ring that they pulled out was larger and metal. And with him telling me they did it, I assumed that ring in the picture belonged there. With me hitting 36/37 gps mph on flat roads, is it safe to assume the exhaust restrictor was definitely pulled? Or should I check that too?
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

JJScoot wrote:
cummingsjc wrote:Totally figured that was the issue. Once removed, the scooter will be much more enjoyable.
You nailed it. I watched that dealer prep video a million times and could've sworn the ring that they pulled out was larger and metal. And with him telling me they did it, I assumed that ring in the picture belonged there. With me hitting 36/37 gps mph on flat roads, is it safe to assume the exhaust restrictor was definitely pulled? Or should I check that too?
If you have some basic tools (Metric socket set) it would not hurt to check that too. Just be careful when taking off the exhaust and reattaching it not to damage any of the threads on the support bolts or the threaded rods that actually hold the exhaust to the engine block. That would really be bad.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Variator ring is out. I feel like I have a whole different scooter now. I was happy as a pig in mud just zipping around at 37 gps/mph max and barely touching 40 on hills... well now that the ring is out, I feel like Im riding a harley. Amazing difference just a few mph can make. Thanks for the help!
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

JJScoot wrote:Variator ring is out. I feel like I have a whole different scooter now. I was happy as a pig in mud just zipping around at 37 gps/mph max and barely touching 40 on hills... well now that the ring is out, I feel like Im riding a harley. Amazing difference just a few mph can make. Thanks for the help!
+1! I'm so glad your Buddy issue was solved in a cheap and easy fashion. Time to challenge the Vino to a race again. Did you ever talk to your dealer about their incomplete work?