swapping out Mirrors

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Tomato Bisque

swapping out Mirrors

Post by Tomato Bisque »

I haven't been impressed w/my mirrors. From day one the Left swivels constantly and the other day the Right one just decided to fall off! I was planning on replacing but thought maybe I should get a different brand. I don't want to spend too much. Just want to make sure they fit and work well my 170. I saw a post here but the links seemed outdated.

any info appreciated!
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

They probably weren't tightened enough as I had the same problem. Might have a look around and see what kind of deal you can get. Do you want oem or an aftermarket?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I did all manner of things. locktite, wrenching, praying to Arcane Deities under full moons...

Still they would get loose all the time, probably because I have a cover. I ended up putting on a pair of yamaha c3 mirrors, which work wonders.
Tomato Bisque

Post by Tomato Bisque »

Thanks for responses. I will definitely check out the Yamaha C3 thanks

And just looked up oem etc. guess whatever works and doesn't break the bank. Not eager to replace with Genuine as they are letting me down thus far. Tired of keeping a wrench in my caddy and tightening at stop lights
Blackdog73

Post by Blackdog73 »

I don't like the mirrors on my 170 as well but for different reasons, they just look odd. I was curious if anyone has seen bar end mirrors on the Buddy? Do you know who the manuf. is?
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I have been running cheap eBay bar-ends for abt 3 years. For $20, I'm not complaining.

Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Blackdog73

Post by Blackdog73 »

Thanks PeteH. That's probably the route I'm going.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I reckon if I'd bought fancy CRGs or something, they'd come with stainless screws, but I can replace a lot of screws for the $80 delta.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I've got the C3 mirrors too. Cheap on Ebay.

You can see them on my scoot in my Gallery post.

Wide enough to do the job and they don't move.

I like the way they look too.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Another vote for C3 mirrors. Much more solid than the stock mirrors

Tomato Bisque

Post by Tomato Bisque »

Those bar ends (and handle grips!) look nice but I fear it would make it tougher to squeeze between cars.

I called cheap cycle parts and asked about yamaha c3 - they said they had no idea knowing what make/model would match up with mine. Is there some basic info I'm missing? Are all buddy's the same reqs? I looked up on ebay and became more confused as there seem to be a lot of different types of mirrors listed as yamaha c3. Help?
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Check out this post for the part numbers. You'll need to enter each part number into a search at Cheap Cycle Parts. Unfortunately, there's no picture of the part on their site but seems to be the right part.

This eBay listing seems right too but who knows what the quality is.

Last but not least, Boats.net is a good place to try. The first two items on this search result page are the Left and Right ones you need, I believe.

The Buddy takes 8mm threads with the right one being reverse threaded.

Sorry, it's been a while since I ordered mine.
Tomato Bisque

Post by Tomato Bisque »

thank you jmazza that is SUPER helpful!
cheapcycleparts ain't so cheap- after shipping is $53.
I tried amazon but doesn't look right. I like that the ebay has them lumped together and may go that route unless I find a local yamaha dealer for decent price.

much obliged:)
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Tomato Bisque wrote:thank you jmazza that is SUPER helpful!
I tried amazon but doesn't look right. I like that the ebay has them lumped together and may go that route unless I find a local yamaha dealer for decent price.

WOW that's crazy. Shipping is usually a beast at a lot of these sites. Scooterworks as well.

I just looked up my order email from a couple years ago and each mirror was $9.71 and shipping was $9.99. Grand total just under $30 which was not bad at all for good mirrors. $53 is rough.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Tomato Bisque wrote:thank you jmazza that is SUPER helpful!

Is there a local yamaha or powersports dealer nearby? I would just roll in and tell them you need 8mm mirrors that don't suck.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Good idea on the Yammie dealer. They can get you C3 mirrors.

Don't use Honda Ruckus mirrors as they won't work on the Buddy. Threaded wrong way.

I tried that already.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
TVB

Post by TVB »

I got the Yamaha C3 mirrors too after one of mine broke off in a parking-lot tipping incident. I do prefer them (much better made, and larger, and I prefer the black), but be aware that they have shorter stems than the current Buddy stock mirrors, so the view is a little constrained.
Tomato Bisque

Post by Tomato Bisque »

so I was all set to buy the ones listed above ($26 w/ship at boats.com) but just couldn't pull the trigger. The black would really look off on my bike and am having a tough time locating a chrome version. When I ask dealers/shops they can't seem to point me in the right direction. Nearest parts place that has the black ones in stock is 30 miles away. considered riding down to see what options/alternatives they have but that is far for me.