Un-Official MB Cannonball Thread

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Whether or not I actually do it again, I certainly would do it again. Like, next week.

A number of us are suffering from withdrawal, which I've head is common. Our daily routine was so dialed in. But beyond that, I want to spend all day riding, exploring, seeing something new and different every time I get up and leave.

SO BORED.

Then I think about astronauts. Holy crap, I'd be so depressed after going to space.

Meanwhile, cdwise, speedometer for most scooters is on the front wheel, attached by cable to the headset. Did you do anything for the front tire or change a headlight, anything like that? Maybe the Aprilia is different…
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
TVB

Post by TVB »

ericalm wrote:Whether or not I actually do it again, I certainly would do it again. Like, next week.

A number of us are suffering from withdrawal, which I've head is common. Our daily routine was so dialed in. But beyond that, I want to spend all day riding, exploring, seeing something new and different every time I get up and leave.

SO BORED.

Then I think about astronauts. Holy crap, I'd be so depressed after going to space.
Yeah, even though I'm very much a home-body, and starting each day not knowing what to expect like that tends to fill me with anxiety, the end of a road trip always leaves me ... disappointed.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

ericalm wrote:Whether or not I actually do it again, I certainly would do it again. Like, next week.

SO BORED.

Meanwhile, cdwise, speedometer for most scooters is on the front wheel, attached by cable to the headset. Did you do anything for the front tire or change a headlight, anything like that? Maybe the Aprilia is different…
I can relate to this. I think we realize how much we are caged animals after being on the road for several days. While I wasn't c'ballin' :) my 9 day 1750 mile (mostly solo) trip gave me enough of the taste of the delight and problem solving of the open road where just commuting to work and riding on the weekend doesn't seem to quite cut it. I have traveled a lot not on 2 wheels (and it's always hard to readjust upon return) but I truly cannot remember having this bad a case of the blues upon return...and it's been a month!

The best thing about the cannonball is it inspired me to take my big trip and now I am planning the next, so that is a beautiful thing.i have to say this last route was so epic...I mean how could you beat that?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

peabody99 wrote:

SO BORED.

I can relate to this. I think we realize how much we are caged animals after being on the road for several days. While I wasn't c'ballin' :) my 9 day 1750 mile (mostly solo) trip gave me enough of the taste of the delight and problem solving of the open road where just commuting to work and riding on the weekend doesn't seem to quite cut it. I have traveled a lot not on 2 wheels (and it's always hard to readjust upon return) but I truly cannot remember having this bad a case of the blues upon return...and it's been a month!

The best thing about the cannonball is it inspired me to take my big trip and now I am planning the next, so that is a beautiful thing.i have to say this last route was so epic...I mean how could you beat that?
Your route was pretty awesome, too! I'm also planning big trips for the future… whenever. One I'm thinking about, if you're interested, is all the way down Baja to Cabo. About 1200 miles from SD.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

Man, reading about CBR has made me want to take a trip to the Minnesota North Woods on my Stella. I'm seriously considering it. Just a tent and whatever supplies I can carry, hop from one campground to the next. Only thing I'd be worried about is a new scooter still breaking in and my unfamiliarity with it.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Neurotic-Hapi-Snak wrote:Man, reading about CBR has made me want to take a trip to the Minnesota North Woods on my Stella. I'm seriously considering it. Just a tent and whatever supplies I can carry, hop from one campground to the next. Only thing I'd be worried about is a new scooter still breaking in and my unfamiliarity with it.
Go for it! That's how I've been traveling around Michigan on my Buddy. A Stella requires a little more ingenuity to pack, but you don't need to bring along much. (Hint: restaurants make cooking gear unnecessary. :) )
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

ericalm wrote: BootScootinFireFighter did it on a Buddy.
The other Buddy rider in 2012 was our own "thatscooterguy", Claude, from southern Illinois. He managed to pull it off without any major issues (that I know of). I showed up with a faulty stator at the start and didn't realize it was a stator until the end of day 1, costing me all the points of day 2 and a reroute to Jackson MS for a replacement part. Claude used to be more active on this forum, but I haven't heard from him lately. I remember he tried to organize a similar event called the "scooter gumball", but that never came to be due to logistical problems with organizing. Hopefully he's doing well.