NSR - do you (can you) drive a stick FOUR wheel ride?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

do you drive a stick car and or truck?

Yes - my regular car/truck is a manual
46%
I can drive stick, but don't own one right now
52%
No... what's that 3rd pedal for anyway?
2%

Total votes: 61

ScootLemont

NSR - do you (can you) drive a stick FOUR wheel ride?

Post by ScootLemont »

So.... I have a 6 speed manual in my Cooper & a 5 speed manual in my pickup

Anyone else drive a stick car or truck?
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

And as a related question, can you shift a scooter?' R
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

5spd Toyota Yaris. Before that 5spd Toyota Corolla. Also 4spd Stella, lol.

Can't imagine the Yaris without a manual. The gearbox mates perfect with the little 1.5L and conserves and transfers to the wheels every ounce of power from the engine. With an automatic, that thing would be a dog, with a manual, it's a zippy quick handling little go cart.

The only replacement for displacement, IMHO, is a good old gearbox.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

2014 Chevy Sonic 5-speed.
I learned on a stick, and my last one was a 1980 Mercury Bobcat (Pinto with lock washers). I was surprised at how easy it was to go back to a stick after 30+ years of automatics. One big diff is that the Chevy uses an hydraulic clutch which is effortless compared to the old cable and spring arrangement.

The one nice thing about driving a standard is that nobody else in the family can borrow it.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I've been driving a stick-shift since before MTV went on the air. Until hybrids came along, a manual would always get better gas mileage, and the best acceleration for the engine size (one of my cars was a 1400cc), so I've never seen a reason to buy an automatic.

Until I bought a scooter. :)
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

charlie55 wrote:2014 Chevy Sonic 5-speed.
I learned on a stick, and my last one was a 1980 Mercury Bobcat (Pinto with lock washers). I was surprised at how easy it was to go back to a stick after 30+ years of automatics. One big diff is that the Chevy uses an hydraulic clutch which is effortless compared to the old cable and spring arrangement.

The one nice thing about driving a standard is that nobody else in the family can borrow it.
Is it the turbo?

I had a hankering for the Sonic Turbo with MT. Then the Fiesta came out with their turbo I3. Nothing quite like the sound of a triple!
Syd

Post by Syd »

Though I haven't driven a stick in a couple decades, I have driven several hundred thousand miles in manny-trannies.

What makes you ask?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Syd wrote:
What makes you ask?
Just wondering if there was any common thread... Like there seems to be with Mini owners and scooter owners.
Syd

Post by Syd »

ScootLemont wrote:
Syd wrote:
What makes you ask?
Just wondering if there was any common thread... Like there seems to be with Mini owners and scooter owners.
I think the connection might be more age than scooter-owning related. Most everyone "my age" had little choice, while many kids today have never seen, let alone been taught a manual.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

2013 Frontier KC, 6-speed manual.
1987 Audi Coupe GT, 5-speed manual.

I learned to drive on a manual and I prefer them.

As for scooters, I have four manuals, two three-speeds and two four-speeds.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I can drive a stick and have had several.

No car right now. And LA traffic eats car clutches.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

brianwheelies wrote:
charlie55 wrote:2014 Chevy Sonic 5-speed.

Is it the turbo?

I had a hankering for the Sonic Turbo with MT. Then the Fiesta came out with their turbo I3. Nothing quite like the sound of a triple!
The Chevy 1.4L Turbo only comes with a 6spd auto or manual. The Sonic with a the 1.4 turbo is a blast, drove one when looking for a new car last year, but was out of my price range. Torquey as a diesel but with the high rpm hp of a gas, needless to say it was fast and handled very well but not as well as my Yaris, especially after I installed a rear sway bar (I say it corners like a jack rabbit on cocaine). Also drove a 5spd Spark, that was quick and well built, too, but again, just barely out of my price range.

I really think more people would drive manuals if they would only learn how. So many people think it's so hard to learn but it's truly pretty easy. Especially a Vespa/Stella, everyone loved the way the Stella looked but were afraid of shifting. The gearbox may be clunky and not that smooth, but damn is it easy to shift, and fast too.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

What Syd said!! :wink:
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

06 Chevy SSR
6.0L LS2 motor modified to 450 hp
6 speed manual, only 535 produced in 06 - final production year
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

I don't currently have one. Sold my manual Nissan 240sx to make room for scooters in my garage.

I have only ridden a manual scooter once. It was my friend's old Vespa PK50. It was fun. He sold it and bought a Stella.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Oh yeah
5 4 speed Vespas
1 4 speed Lambretta
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
RoadRambler

Post by RoadRambler »

I can drive a stick shift car/truck (and we have one) but other than during the MSF half-day intro course, haven't tackled a shifty PTW.
SockyTX

Post by SockyTX »

I learned to drive in a manual 1982 Datsun Sentra Wagon. I still own what use to be my daily driver- 1968 VW Beetle which has 4gear manual transmission like my Stella 4T. My bug just sits in the garage at the present time.
SockyTX
Hispanic Panic
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

All my cars have always been and always will be manual transmission.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

Yes. I learned on a 5 speed VW Rabbit. I like the interaction and greater connectedness. I've also had a Camaro 4 speed, a Sunbird 5 speed, now I have a Maxima 5 speed. Looking for a Civic automatic as my daughter is going to learn to drive next year. My VStrom is a 6 speed. I also like the infinitely variable transmission on the Buddy. T & G, loads of fun.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I learned to drive with a 37 Buick straight 8 Business mans coupe , 3 forwards and 1 reverse. I was 12 and sat on a stack of pillows, my Dad
riding shotgun and teaching me. That was 66 years ago. Have driven a lot of shifters since then and a lot of automatics too. The old Buick was a floor shift, a tough car!! :wink:
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

My first car had a Muncie 4 speed on the floor dropped in it. Smooth as silk. Have had other standards since, just always assumed driving a standard is normal.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I drove a tow truck with a two speed rear end for a few years and learned a few things.

If you drive a stick can you shift without the clutch?
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Sure, but I however now am driving my first automatic transmission car since 1980
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Syd wrote:I drove a tow truck with a two speed rear end for a few years and learned a few things.

If you drive a stick can you shift without the clutch?
Of course. It gets a bit trickier and stop-and-go traffic gets to be a pain. It's more fun to ride a Vespa/Stella without a clutch; LeMans starts at every light! :wink:
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Syd, yes you can if you are very good at synchronizing the engine speed to
the gear aped but I don't recommend it. :lol:
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Gear speed!!! Hard to type this early in the morning!! :cry:
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

gr8dog wrote:Looking for a Civic automatic as my daughter is going to learn to drive next year.
Why not a manual Civic? Teach her properly. Hondas are very forgiving and easy to learn on.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Learned to drive in a Ford F150 manual. Dad and I, were driving down the road one day when I was 13, he pulled over and said, "Alright you have to get us home, and if you kill my truck you pay for it!"
I got us home with a few stalls between, the truck no worse for wear, and I drove him all the time after that. I think he liked having a chauffeur. My first brand new car was a Dodge 5 speed. After that it was a Scion XA that I always thought would have been a much better car if it were a manual. Alas, the missus can't drive stick...
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
RickWaza

Post by RickWaza »

Syd wrote:If you drive a stick can you shift without the clutch?
I grew up on a farm in Montana driving tandem axle diesels. Most fun was a 5 speed with a 4 speed auxiliary. You could use the clutch for the 5, but the 4 had to be shifted by RPM matching only. Had two different MT Ford pickups, but the clutch went out on the second one after I moved to California. Since then, wife and kids have made the manuals go away, and now I have station wagons and sedans (and a Blur!). Don't really miss it, though, when I have to go through about 12 stop signs and lights in 6 miles to work.
kary

Love having a stick

Post by kary »

My present cars are a VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI with the 6 speed stick, a 1980 Z/28 with a 5 speed and a 1955 Chevy pickup with a 3 on the tree. Every time I shop for a new car there are less and less sticks available. Will try to keep driving a stick as long as I can.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Rick, double clutching?? :wink:
RickWaza

Post by RickWaza »

Nope, no double clutch. For the 4 speed it was get the RPMs close, pop it out, rev up and down and grind until it popped in again. Sometimes, if you had the engine just right you could pop it out and back in seamlessly. The worst part is that it wasn't linear. IIRC the sequence loaded was start in 1 main, 2 aux, shift through to 5, take aux to 3, main back to 4, then 5, aux to 4 with main back to 4, then 5 or something like that. Unloaded you could skip some of the auxiliary steps, but I would load it so full of wheat that I'd need to hit every gear. Needless to say, there was no weigh station between the field and the bin. :)
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Rick, sounds like fun. :wink:
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Rick, sounds like fun. :wink:
Syd

Post by Syd »

RickWaza wrote:Nope, no double clutch. For the 4 speed it was get the RPMs close, pop it out, rev up and down and grind until it popped in again. Sometimes, if you had the engine just right you could pop it out and back in seamlessly. The worst part is that it wasn't linear. IIRC the sequence loaded was start in 1 main, 2 aux, shift through to 5, take aux to 3, main back to 4, then 5, aux to 4 with main back to 4, then 5 or something like that. Unloaded you could skip some of the auxiliary steps, but I would load it so full of wheat that I'd need to hit every gear. Needless to say, there was no weigh station between the field and the bin. :)
Yep, that's how those multispeed rear ends work too. But I never had a load heavy enough to worry about shifting correctly, or using the two speed rear end, for that matter. It was just fun to play with.

It's easier with trannys that have gears closer together than those that have some really long gears like my old '65 GMC Pickup. 2nd gear went out on it, so it was either compound low to 3rd, or just start in 3rd - 0 - 40mph.
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

First car - 1965 VW Beatle. I don't know if they even came in auto. Also drove my dad's Pinto. Moved on to a manual Toyota Corolla then 5 speed turbo Dodge Conquest followed by a Mercury Capri convertible. It wasn't until I had kids that I bought my first automatic. Still miss that little convertible but no real room for car seats so after the second kid was born it had to go. :cry:

Looked for a manual when I bought my current car (BMW 328i convertible) but had to settle for paddle shift buying used.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Back in 1986, my clutch went out on my 1979 Celica GT - I drove it home 15 miles shifting without a clutch (started it in 1st & then worked hard to time my approach to the 3 traffic lights & just rolled through stop signs in 1st)
TVB

Post by TVB »

cdwise wrote:First car - 1965 VW Beatle. I don't know if they even came in auto.
Doubtful that they did. In addition to the classic Beetle* being notoriously underpowered (so an automatic transmission would make it worse), the hallmark of their engineering was simplicity, which would also mean manual transmission.

*note spelling: they were not musicians :)
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

TVB wrote:
cdwise wrote:First car - 1965 VW Beatle. I don't know if they even came in auto.
Doubtful that they did. In addition to the classic Beetle* being notoriously underpowered (so an automatic transmission would make it worse), the hallmark of their engineering was simplicity, which would also mean manual transmission.

*note spelling: they were not musicians :)
There was an Automatic Stickshift for the Beetle starting in '68. First Beetle to get Independent Rear Suspension (IRS). The transmission pattern was as follows:

R 1
|-|
L 2

You still had to push down to select reverse. There was only a gas and brake pedal. There was a microswitch in the gearshift that sensed pressure on the shifter and activated a vacuum solenoid in the engine compartment. The solenoid actuated a vacuum diaphragm on the transmission housing that pulled the clutch arm. Press lightly on the gearshift to declutch. Stayed de-clutched until you took your hand off the shifter.

There was also a torque converter assembly in between the motor and gearbox. The oil pump on the back of the motor had a second pumping stage just to run the automatic section of the gearbox. In the gearbox, the ratios were similar to a manual Beetle, with the first gear removed.

Ideally, you put it in 1st and left your hand on the stick until the light turned green. Accelerate to 35mph and shift to 2nd. You could use Low to start off or climb hills. You could start in 2nd, but it took a loooong time to accelerate to top speed. Burnouts were fun; pick a low gear, rev the motor and let go of the shifter.

While the design was publicly available in '68, the first auto-stick cars were testing as early as '60.

Yes, I'm a VW nerd too. :D
Last edited by az_slynch on Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snoozy

Post by snoozy »

I applied for a job delivering sandwiches back when i was 18. They said, can you drive stick? I said, Sure! They said, Great -- you start Monday.

I called up my friend Nora and said, Teach me how to drive stick! And so the next day we went to the cemetary in her parents' VW bus and she taught me. Monday i turned up and began driving the restaurant van. I had to go up steep streets (Queen Anne Hill, if you know Seattle) and boy it was stressful the first few days!

So happens my car right now is automatic, but i've usually had manual transmissions.
ohiotj

Post by ohiotj »

My non-scooter daily driver is a 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth 5 speed. And, the race car is a 1998 Dodge Neon 5 speed. If I want an automatic, need to ride a scooter, take the van, or drive my wifes car.

Ridden a dual sport motorcycle for my MSF class, but am not as comfortable shifting a 2 wheeler. The consequences for screwing up could be considerably worse. Still, I'll probably get a motorcycle someday.
vintage red matthew

Post by vintage red matthew »

I've always preferred manuals. In the early 80s I had a sweet 66 Nova SS with a powerglide 2 speed automatic. If it had had a 4 speed I would probably still have it. My current car is a Toyota MR2. It's the only modern car I know about that was not available with an auto. Just regular manual or sequential shift similar to a motorcycle. My beater pickum-up truck is automatic but i don't mind that too much. If there were a manual shift scooter capable of crusing at 75 I would have one.

Just last week my girlfriend was saying that here dream car was a pink Miata with an automatic but she knew they were not available in pink or with an auto. I said that yes, indeed some came with autos so we looked on craigslist and found one that had been painted pink and I bought it for her. Some people are easy to please.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

az_slynch wrote: There was an Automatic Stickshift for the Beetle starting in '68. First Beetle to get Independent Rear Suspension (IRS).
My sister had one of those. It was a fun little car!
www.teamscootertrash.com

misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

My first car was a tiny 4-speed 1979 Honda CVCC ---- then I owned a 1965 Ford Falcon which had been converted from a 3-Speed to a 4-Speed.... if there was any car I've ever owned that should have been an automatic, that was it. Plus I lived in San Francisco at the time and some of the hills were downright SCARY in that thing. The only car I've ever purchased new was my present 5-Speed Honda Fit. It was the only manual on the entire lot. My wife drives it 90% of the time now since I'm always riding the Stella to work :)

I must say that my favorite car I've ever owned was the 4-speed '79 CVCC --- just a cool little car that never gave me any problems. Unfortunately, it completely rusted out :(
RexM

Back in the day...

Post by RexM »

I mostly drove stick during my twenties, and back then assumed I always would. Then the commute got longer, traffic more congested, and the real killer: dropping kids at school. Drove a stick again for awhile last year and found it had lost its appeal.

That said, I would like another bike--a manual--to compliment the Burg. Something like a DRZ400 to handle in-town chores as well as dirt roads.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

misterbrackets wrote:My first car was a tiny 4-speed 1979 Honda CVCC ---- then I owned a 1965 Ford Falcon which had been converted from a 3-Speed to a 4-Speed.... if there was any car I've ever owned that should have been an automatic, that was it. Plus I lived in San Francisco at the time and some of the hills were downright SCARY in that thing. The only car I've ever purchased new was my present 5-Speed Honda Fit. It was the only manual on the entire lot. My wife drives it 90% of the time now since I'm always riding the Stella to work :)

I must say that my favorite car I've ever owned was the 4-speed '79 CVCC --- just a cool little car that never gave me any problems. Unfortunately, it completely rusted out :(
Was your Falcon a column-shift? I had a '62 Falcon coupe with a 170cid straight-six and a three-on-the-tree. Fun car, though shifting handling and braking could hardly be considered "crisp". I had a '72 SAAB 96 with a 1500cc Ford V4 and a four-on-the-tree. That one was more fun, though it still had crazy slop in the shifter.

We had a `78 Accord hatchback for a little while back in the 90's; it was decked out with a roofrack, overrider bumpers and 1500cc CVCC engine. Those funky triple-barrel carbs were a bit fiddly to set up right. The feature I loved the most was the dash clock. It had a mechanical flip-clock! A silly thing, but it was like having a tiny alarm clock in your dash.

Good on the missus, a light car with a good gearbox is almost as much fun as a scooter! :D

DariaSen

Post by DariaSen »

I have been taught how to shift on many occasions but for some reason my brain refuses to accept the training. I couldn't even get the hang of shifting a mountain bike...I just stayed in the same gear no matter what (I am thankful to Hipsters for bringing back cruisers) My husband and I came to the conclusion that it is just safer for me and society in general if I just stick to auto transmissions for everything I drive.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I learned to drive on a Ford Cortina 4 spd. Dad had gotten rid of the Austin Healy by then

Yeah...the girl came with it :mrgreen:

www.teamscootertrash.com

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

The fourth "dead" pedal is always nice to have too!

www.teamscootertrash.com