Guns?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skipper20

Guns?

Post by skipper20 »

I tried replying to this post but it was "locked" and the dialogue box said I couldn't reply. Well, that's a first! Is this a new form of MB censorship? Notwithstanding, all I wanted to say is that I don't believe that this subject belongs in a scooter forum. If the author wants to "pack" a gun, his questions should be placed with a gun forum.

Bill in Seattle
'09 150 Blackjack
'12 220i Italia
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Bill,

This particular topic often has a way of escalating into less-than-civil discourse. It's also mentioned in the posting guidelines, albeit obliquely:

• Other blatantly divisive topics such as abortion, the death penalty and gun control (to name a few)

I do not believe it qualifies as censorship if the rules of the forum prohibit it. After all, we all agreed to the forum rules by creating an account...it's poor form to welch on an agreement.
Last edited by az_slynch on Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

az_slynch wrote:I do not believe it qualifies as censorship if the rules of the forum prohibit it. After all, we all agreed to the forum rules by creating an account....
I concur. There a few topics more divisive than the uses of firearms. Pretty clear that was not a subject intended for this scooter forum.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

My arms sunburnt on a long ride a few years back dang that hurt ... oh wait... not THAT kind of FIRE arms?? Oopsie!
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I was actually looking forward to the discussion...not on "gun ownership" but rather on "types of firearms that one might own". However, I understand if the topic is considered too inflammatory (along with iMoses' arms) for MB.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
TVB

Re: Guns?

Post by TVB »

skipper20 wrote:I tried replying to this post but it was "locked" and the dialogue box said I couldn't reply. Well, that's a first! Is this a new form of MB censorship?
It isn't censorship. There are plenty of places to discuss the topic. This just isn't one of them.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

skipper20 wrote:I tried replying to this post but it was "locked" and the dialogue box said I couldn't reply. Well, that's a first! Is this a new form of MB censorship? Notwithstanding, all I wanted to say is that I don't believe that this subject belongs in a scooter forum. If the author wants to "pack" a gun, his questions should be placed with a gun forum.

Bill in Seattle
'09 150 Blackjack
'12 220i Italia
NSR

not scooter related

perhaps all NSR topics should find their own forum?

guns are sport and hobby, mechanical things that take skill and practice and responsibility to maintain and operate safely, much like riding. its not politics or controversial unless you choose that skewered POV

not a big deal, but that is the long and short of it
Riding is riding
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I like good French Toast better than Pancakes.

"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

JHScoot wrote: NSR

not scooter related

perhaps all NSR topics should find their own forum?

guns are sport and hobby, mechanical things that take skill and practice and responsibility to maintain and operate safely, much like riding. its not politics or controversial unless you choose that skewered POV

not a big deal, but that is the long and short of it

now go post about salads
Circling back to the point of this discourse and previous threads, it has been made clear that [NSR] topics are not unwelcome at MB.

That said, there are forum rules. These rules spell out the do's and dont's of actively participating in the MB forum. These rules identify particular topics as taboo. They are taboo for the reason that they provoke strong reactions in people and discussions are know to devolve quickly when emotions override reason.

Some of us have been around long enough to know that throwing one of those topics out there isn't a good idea and probably shouldn't be terribly surprised it the discussion is moderated as a result.

And yes, salads are wholesome. People rarely resort to colorful metaphors and derogatory mudslinging over salad. Go play there and don't do anything that could get you tossed.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I get a little irked at the suggestion that moderation of ModernBuddy is, in any way, "censorship." It's a word that gets misused, and in the context of the forum, belies a fundamental misunderstanding of what we all agree to when we register.

The first line of our registration agreement:
"By registering for ModernBuddy.com, you agree to abide by the posting guidelines."

This is a private, membership-based forum that is moderated for content based on those posting guidelines. Enforcing these is not censorship.

We are not an official body or government suppressing your rights or speech.
We're not in any way hindering your ability to discuss a topic or voice your opinion on it.

Compared to most forums, moderation is fairly light here. This is because we're damn awesome and well-behaved, unlike most of what's out there.

We ask very little:

1. Don't be an asshole.
2. Don't dredge up topics likely to result in flame wars and divisive arguments.
3. No spamming.

If that's too much of a burden or too oppressive for anyone, membership and participation are not mandatory.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…