Which mod or accessory are you most glad you did/have?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

snoozy

Post by snoozy »

Right now I'm thinking about a windshield (may start a thread on pros and cons of windshields/type thereof...) And I'm scrolling through Scooterwest's inventory of Buddy stuff (See, Eric, I clicked on an ad here!) and I'm thinking about getting the moribund front sidelights working with the LED kit, etc.

What mod or upgrade or accessory do you think was the smartest thing you've done to/for/with your Buddy?
TVB

Post by TVB »

When I first bought my Buddy 50, I had two things done before I even took delivery (and worked into the final sale price):
1) Derestricted.
2) Rear rack added.

For a 50cc, restoring it to its intended configuration and allowing it to travel at the speed it was engineered to go, makes a huge difference in practicality. I would not have been able to do so much riding around in town, and the road trips would've been impractical (or worse) otherwise.

For the 125 that was unnecessary, so the winner for this bike (the rack) is what allows me to use the scooter for groceries and road trips. Not essential to quite as many miles of riding, but still quite a lot.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

In order of preference:
  • Dr. Pulley siding variator weights.
    Prima pipe.
    Oversize rear tire.
    Performance CVT parts: Dr. Pulley variator, NCY racing clutch.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

Wolo Bad Boy horn. It's kept people from changing lanes into me many times. It's not quite as loud as the horn on the Buddy, but it's way better than the factory one on the Sportcity.
Attachments
71H5XbblN7S._SL1500_.jpg
71H5XbblN7S._SL1500_.jpg (35.03 KiB) Viewed 3215 times
Christophers

Re: Which mod or accessory are you most glad you did/have?

Post by Christophers »

snoozy wrote:Right now I'm thinking about a windshield (may start a thread on pros and cons of windshields/type thereof...) And I'm scrolling through Scooterwest's inventory of Buddy stuff (See, Eric, I clicked on an ad here!) and I'm thinking about getting the moribund front sidelights working with the LED kit, etc.

What mod or upgrade or accessory do you think was the smartest thing you've done to/for/with your Buddy?
I would recommend activating the deadlights purely as a safety issue. While noting the relative visibility of scooters with and without the LED upgrade, it quickly became clear that having the deadlights working as running lights makes a huge difference in visibility. Activating these lights gives the scooter the unmistakable triangular light arrangement that alerts drivers that a scooter is coming. Without these lights working the headlight alone doesn't put drivers on alert.

It also looks good!
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

TVB wrote:When I first bought my Buddy 50, I had two things done before I even took delivery (and worked into the final sale price):
1) Derestricted.
Not to be some sort of a stickler for the rules, but if you're considering doing this, you should know the risks. It is illegal. If you get pulled over on a 50cc going over the speed limit placed on them in your state without a motorcycle license, that's driving without a license and your scooter will be impounded. The limits are placed on under 50cc/mopeds, because in many states, they are treated like motorized bicycles, and follow bicycle traffic laws. I don't care if you do it, just know what can happen if you're caught.

I know this is a Buddy thread, but the best thing I bought for my Stella is carb jets. It was jetted a touch lean stock, and going up a jet has made it run like a different bike. IMHO, everyone should have a selection of carb jets (if your scooter is carbed) and know how to swap them out. And how to read spark plugs. CV carbs work nearly as well as fuel injection, but they simply cannot react to massive variances in atmospheric conditions like computerized fuel injection can.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Not quite a scooter accessory, but my GF and I have Sena SMH 10 bluetooth communicators. I just got one for my dad for fathers day. Being able to talk people while riding has made group riding much more enjoyable and safe. And listening to tunes and gps voice directions is pretty rad.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

The most important accessory is the rider IMHO.
snoozy

Post by snoozy »

KrispyKreme wrote:The most important accessory is the rider IMHO.
I got one o'those! :D
TVB

Post by TVB »

Just behind the rider, I recommend having a passenger. :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Windshield, yes.

RAM mounts. I'm gathering a collection. I don't love GPS units, but if you have to use one, it's the best was to mount one. Also good for phones. (No, don't text and ride, of course. For maps and such.)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

+1 on Ram mounts.
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Rear Crash bars on my Stella. My cowls took no damage when I had my spill....
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

For me it is my rack/roll bag combo.

It's great always having some extra storage so I can use my Stella to run errands.
(My first scoot was a Rattler & the underseat storage was pretty good, but no such location in the Stella)

Also... I used to have a hard shell case on my Rattler that moved to my Stella - much more practical, weather resistant, secure, easier to remove and put back on than my roll bag but I really prefer the roll bag look on my stella.

Pic of the hard shell before I got rid of it
This is the best pic of the roll bag I have handy right now (with my redneck camera mount)
jd

Post by jd »

I think it depends on how you use your Buddy.

If you like longer rides, then a windshield is essential. 75 miles with a windshield is a pleasure. Without one, it's fatiguing.

If you like to use your bike for practical applications, then you need cargo capacity for running errands, so I recommend a trunk.

If you like to go on really long trips (like the 425 mile loop my wife and I made over a recent weekend), then you need the windshield AND the trunk, so you can carry a change of clothes.

Third in line would be a GPS mount. I use it whenever we're in unfamiliar territory. It makes touring a lot more fun.

jd
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

ScootLemont wrote:For me it is my rack/roll bag combo.

It's great always having some extra storage so I can use my Stella to run errands.
(My first scoot was a Rattler & the underseat storage was pretty good, but no such location in the Stella)

Also... I used to have a hard shell case on my Rattler that moved to my Stella - much more practical, weather resistant, secure, easier to remove and put back on than my roll bag but I really prefer the roll bag look on my stella.

This is the best pic of the roll bag I have handy right now (with my redneck camera mount)
Rollcase looks so much better than the topcase. Topcases look off on vintage scooters. The black really suits the red Stella. Currently looking for/planning to make a wooden crate to go on my rear rack. A little more unique and with better vintage style than the current milk crate.
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

Windshield and rear rack
Both are must-have if you're a every day rider imo
scoots greazy v MCgilacuddy.
TVB

Post by TVB »

jd wrote:If you like to go on really long trips (like the 425 mile loop my wife and I made over a recent weekend), then you need the windshield AND the trunk, so you can carry a change of clothes.
When I travel by scooter I keep my clothes in the pet carrier, which holds them (tightly packed) pretty well.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Windshield and Givi top case… ok top two things that both my wife and daughter would say that they use daily and could not do without.
Boneyard

Post by Boneyard »

Dead lights! I've been told by numerous drivers the scoot stands out. I need all the help I can get.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

ScootLemont wrote:For me it is my rack/roll bag combo.

I really like that roll bag. Would you mind sharing where you purchased it and name?
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I purchased the following in this order:

low profile seat
Yamaha C3 mirrors
matte black rear rack

Also added:

Sun wire basket on rear rack
Cheeky Seat Cover
Gremlin bell
Cramp Buster

Most glad? The low profile seat.
Next? The wire basket.
Last edited by Whimscootie on Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Whimscootie wrote: I really like that roll bag. Would you mind sharing where you purchased it and name?
Sure - its a SX Appeal Canvas Top Case (but most places call it a roll bag not a top case) - I got it from scooterwest.com but it looks like they dont sell it anymore
http://www.scooterwest.com/items?item_i ... _item_view It was $150 2 years ago.

Here is a link to a better pic http://timwall.com/scoot12/10.jpg

But... scooterworks.com sells a similar one
http://www.scooterworks.com/prima-roll- ... 7dkAJRX-uY
I dont remember why I chose the SX over the Prima 2 years ago, but I had some reason. May or may not have been a good reason.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The Prima has longevity issues.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

In this order: windshield, top case, NYC muffler, foot pegs(home made) all for my 170i. If I need to haul stuff I use my hack. :wink:
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

BBK, upsized carb, air box mod and NCY pipe
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

My rear rack and milk crate then the subsequent replacement of the crate with a basket were by far the best I'd done. Putting a windshield on as well was well worth the effort. :D
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

OOPS, , NCY muffler. :oops:
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
snoozy

Post by snoozy »

BuddyRaton wrote:BBK, upsized carb, air box mod and NCY pipe
BBK? You put BB King on your Buddy?? :o
theflash784

Post by theflash784 »

I had the windscreen and the rear added when I first bought my scooter. They are my favorites. I added dead lites, front rack, crowl protectors and saddlebags last year.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

ericalm wrote:The Prima has longevity issues.

Eric, Prima does not make great products. That may be a broad stroke, but the metal that that they use is suspect.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

KrispyKreme wrote:

Eric, Prima does not make great products. That may be a broad stroke, but the metal that that they use is suspect.
That's what I've heard, but I didn't want to say anything since I've never used a Prima product.
jd

Post by jd »

That's what I've heard, but I didn't want to say anything since I've never used a Prima product.
I can vouch for the Prima windshield!
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

KrispyKreme wrote:

I just ordered a Prima whitewall (I know, I know.) I'll report back after it's got some miles on it.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

jd wrote:
I can vouch for the Prima windshield!
A windshield going bad and a BOLT is different.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

1500 Contra spring. Hill climbing is improved.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
MYSCTR

PRIMA

Post by MYSCTR »

jrstone wrote:I just ordered a Prima whitewall (I know, I know.) I'll report back after it's got some miles on it.
We tried and did not care for the Prima white wall tires - seems we got something like 2500 miles on them. How long they last above everything else is the first reason for buying another set of tires to me.

…edit: We use the short Cuppini Windscreens!

We have also used the Prima pipe (that was quite questionable when it first came out) on our scoots, with roughly 27,500 miles of use and NO issues between any of them. Best one liner for the Prima pipe was after I installed our first pipe on my scoot, my wife wanted one then said "It makes my scoot sound tougher" when asked why she wanted it. Awesome. Today our daughter heard the difference between her new stock 170 and my new 170 with the pipe installed and she opted to have one on her scoot as well. Sure, why not, it’s waiting in our garage just for her Buddy!
Last edited by MYSCTR on Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
snoozy

Post by snoozy »

A local Vespa and Genuine dealer recommended the Vespa windshield over the Prima. Said the Prima's extra height did not increase wind deflection but tended to act as a wind sail. Whereas the lower (but wider, if I recall correctly) Vespa windshield deflected the wind sufficiently but did not act as a wind sail.

Any opinions on this?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

snoozy wrote:A local Vespa and Genuine dealer recommended the Vespa windshield over the Prima. Said the Prima's extra height did not increase wind deflection but tended to act as a wind sail. Whereas the lower (but wider, if I recall correctly) Vespa windshield deflected the wind sufficiently but did not act as a wind sail.

Any opinions on this?
What Vespa shield fits a Buddy?

The Prima isn't that tall. How we'll a windshield deflects wind depends largely on the rider and their size. It's very different for various people.

I think the Cuppini shield (maybe the one the dealer's referring to?) looks better and has less room open at the bottom.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Last edited by KrispyKreme on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

jrstone wrote:
KrispyKreme wrote:

I just ordered a Prima whitewall (I know, I know.) I'll report back after it's got some miles on it.

And it will look pretty. :P

Edit-Heidenau K61s
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

ericalm wrote: What Vespa shield fits a Buddy?

I think the Cuppini shield (maybe the one the dealer's referring to?) looks better and has less room open at the bottom.
I completely agree. The Cuppini "short" windshield is the best looking/fitting windshield for the Buddy. If you think the Cuppini is too tall you can have it cut down (or cut it down yourself) to a shorter "fly screen" /vespaesque height, but it really is comfortable/ideally useful at the supplied height.

I have mixed feelings about fly screen height windshields. They definitely help, but in my experience the trade off is increased wind buffeting and noise on your helmet/upper chest. That can get old quickly. The height of the Cuppini windshield is just about perfect in terms of offering wind protection/aerodynamics without being so big as to act like a sail.

At one point I was considering having a Cuppini windshield cut down to (tall) fly-screen height for the Psycho for longer road trips (I agree that a windshield makes a huge difference in terms of limiting fatigue - especially on longer rides), but it turns out that I enjoy/like to hike forward in a tuck when cornering aggressively more than I like to be comfortable on the super-slab/extended straightaways. Any sort of a windshield on a Buddy limits hiking forward of the handlebars.
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

snoozy wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:BBK, upsized carb, air box mod and NCY pipe
BBK? You put BB King on your Buddy?? :o
http://www.scooterworks.com/prima-cylin ... 7ky4fldUpo
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Accessory = Windshield. I don't think I'd ride without it.

Mod = Well, Ericalm is a pretty good guy to have around from time to time. I don't think I've met the other Mods....
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
150 havoc

mods 150 yg6

Post by 150 havoc »

ncy kit 1200-1048 1000 big spring
1000 blue cluth spring
12 or 11 gram rollers

Good diffence If money is a problem leave out the clucth its the bigger pullys that you want anyway.
Karl age 51

ps thanks to boca scooters for there
time trying a few diffent set-ups
TVB

Post by TVB »

Best mods, the Style Council:

scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

I got a fuel bottle that carries 1/10 of a gallon of gas, I haven't had to use it but it's nice to know it's there.

I have a rear rack, but the only thing I carry on it is the fuel bottle. Though it is good for lifting the back of the scooter up to move it around the garage.

My favorite accessory is a beverage in the front cubby. Even better is one in the front and 3-5 more in a small cooler under the seat plus a few granola bars, with that I good for up to 250 miles.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pugbuddy wrote:Mod = Well, Ericalm is a pretty good guy to have around from time to time. I don't think I've met the other Mods....
You've met polianarchy!
TVB

Post by TVB »

scootERIK wrote:I got a fuel bottle that carries 1/10 of a gallon of gas, I haven't had to use it but it's nice to know it's there.
I carry a 20-ounce bottle of fuel in the glove bucket. I have had to use it. And yes, it is nice. :)
snoozy

Post by snoozy »

What kind of bottle do you use? I've got a 16 oz stainless steel water bottle. It is not insulated. Would that work?

My helmet has a little "Bluetooth ready" compartment. I removed the 1/8th inch of foam glued to the little cover and put a folded up a $5 bill there instead. So if ever I need cash for emergency gas, I've got it.