Buddy 170i engine light just came on

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

uklemond

Buddy 170i engine light just came on

Post by uklemond »

Hi All

Until a month ago things were running fine, then all of a sudden my exhaust practically fell off. I had that replaced at a costly sum, and then for amonth it has been fine. However yesterday when i went to start up the bike, her engine light came on as normal, went off but as soon as the engine started the light came back on again.

She starts fine everytime, just the engine light will stay on. I have to pay to have it towed, and also investigated so was wondering if you all had any ideas that i might look at first before paying huge expenses.
TVB

Re: Buddy 170i engine light just came on

Post by TVB »

uklemond wrote:She starts fine everytime, just the engine light will stay on. I have to pay to have it towed, and also investigated so was wondering if you all had any ideas that i might look at first before paying huge expenses.
The engine light doesn't necessarily mean you can't ride it to be serviced. It's just a generic indicator that there's a problem that should be addressed. If the engine seems to be behaving normally, ride it (conservatively, just in case) to the shop, for them to hook it up to the protocol droid that translates that light into English.
uklemond

Post by uklemond »

I checked my oil level and it is low but it is still a third of the dipstick Would low oil make siad light come on?

Thinking about doing my own oil change to see if that could get it sorted.

Nearest mechanic is 16 miles away so not far in the grand scheme of things but might try and hoist into the back of the mini van as my luck would have it that i break down in the middle of nowhere if i tried to ride it :)
Mbates50

Post by Mbates50 »

You can change your own w/o much fuss/muss, it takes 10-15 minutes.

Use 10/40w motorcycle oil, not auto. Filter is about 7 bucks. The drain plug has a spring and filter screen attached, so don't lose them.

Warm scooter up a bit before draining. You Tube has a couple good videos if you want a visual. Once you've done that, you can change your gear oil.

Don't forget to clean the air filter. All it takes is to loosen about 6/7 screws.
"Put the top down. What could possibly go wrong?"
-JFK-
ScootLady

oil/air filter

Post by ScootLady »

I changed my oil last weekend and the gear oil too.. Where is the air filter located?
Scooting through life...smiling all the way!
Mbates50

Re: oil/air filter

Post by Mbates50 »

ScootLady wrote:I changed my oil last weekend and the gear oil too.. Where is the air filter located?
Right above the gear box. Big black plastic cover. Same area where you changed the gear oil.
"Put the top down. What could possibly go wrong?"
-JFK-