how fast for how long

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScootLady

how fast for how long

Post by ScootLady »

I ride my 170i to work and it is about 22 miles. I am going on state highways and for extended periods I am at 60+mph. I am riding on the weekends and days off the same way. Am I pushing my scooter to hard to far?

I see a lot of info on folks who are not getting above 40 mph. I thought this fellow was born to run so I have been running him like crazy.
Scooting through life...smiling all the way!
MYSCTR

How Fast How Far

Post by MYSCTR »

My first full year of riding my scoot for pleasure and work meant about three trips a week to and from Dallas, many trips (with several stops for business) would go over 100 miles, generally not more than 140 miles in single day. Racked 9,200 miles that year.

Biggest pleasure riding day was about 240 miles riding to the North Texas Lakes Rally; McKinney through Dallas to Waxahachie, (rally rides), Midlothian, Arlington then working our way back to Dallas and then McKinney. Fun Day.

Most of my work trips included WOT for 18-24 miles at times (highway on and off again). Never had any problems from that.

I would not recommend that for a brand new scoot until you have something over 500 miles on it.
DHegg33

Post by DHegg33 »

Well I can only offer my own opinion and experience. I run my 125 pretty hard. Maybe not quite as consistently as you do, but I do not shy away from taking it on the highway and running it at capacity (about 65-70 bmph) for twenty or thirty minutes at a time if need be. It has always performed quite admirably, but I do get the sense sometimes that I am pushing it a little too hard. The only time it really was struggling was on the way back from my cabin last year, which is about 180 miles one way. On the way back there was a 30+ mph headwind pretty much the whole way and about halfway through I was having a hard time keeping it at 50-55 bmph so I took a couple extra stops I may not have taken just to give it a rest. For that reason I have decided not to make that annual trip with it this year. But next year when my warranty expires on my 125 I am going to upgrade to a i170 and I will take on at least two trips a year to the cabin and will continue to take it on the highway whenever I want to get somewhere quicker and I am on the scooter. The Buddy is a really solid machine. I think you are fine using it the way you are. Of course it will wear out quicker but so will anything that you run hard and fast and alot.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Not at all. You're good.

Though hopefully, you didn't break it in riding like that.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Mbates50

Re: how fast for how long

Post by Mbates50 »

ScootLady wrote:I ride my 170i to work and it is about 22 miles. I am going on state highways and for extended periods I am at 60+mph. I am riding on the weekends and days off the same way. Am I pushing my scooter to hard to far?

I see a lot of info on folks who are not getting above 40 mph. I thought this fellow was born to run so I have been running him like crazy.
You 170 is basically a small motorcycle. So that speed is Ok. Actually you are probably only going 55 mph. Most scooter's speedos are dialed up about 5mph faster than its actual land speed.
"Put the top down. What could possibly go wrong?"
-JFK-
Mbates50

Re: How Fast How Far

Post by Mbates50 »

MYSCTR wrote:My first full year of riding my scoot for pleasure and work meant about three trips a week to and from Dallas, many trips (with several stops for business) would go over 100 miles, generally not more than 140 miles in single day. Racked 9,200 miles that year.

Biggest pleasure riding day was about 240 miles riding to the North Texas Lakes Rally; McKinney through Dallas to Waxahachie, (rally rides), Midlothian, Arlington then working our way back to Dallas and then McKinney. Fun Day.

Most of my work trips included WOT for 18-24 miles at times (highway on and off again). Never had any problems from that.

I would not recommend that for a brand new scoot until you have something over 500 miles on it.
Lived in Plano. Riding there can be like riding in a blast furnace during the summer.
"Put the top down. What could possibly go wrong?"
-JFK-
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

In my experience, rides like that are simply good workouts for a Buddy. Scooters like to be ridden. The worst thing you can do to one is leave it sitting in the shed for months. The only thing that stresses a Buddy is rides of an hour or two at highway speeds in hot weather. It is air-cooled after all. In hot weather on longer rides it is good to take a break once in a while. You probably need a break anyway. :wink:
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

22 miles at WOT won't hurt your Buddy. Over time, if you do all day road trips at WOT, it can do some damage.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

My old 07 Buddy now has 30,000miles and the new owner rides it just as hard as I did. Just keep the oil changed (start a dyno vs. synthetic debate!) and a eye on tire pessure and your Buddy will just keep on runnin' strong.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

sc00ter wrote:My old 07 Buddy now has 30,000miles and the new owner rides it just as hard as I did. Just keep the oil changed (start a dyno vs. synthetic debate!) and a eye on tire pessure and your Buddy will just keep on runnin' strong.
My 07 is about 400 miles short of 30k. I've burned the engine out twice though from extended cross-country rides.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).