Can you believe the nerve!?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Whimscootie

Can you believe the nerve!?

Post by Whimscootie »

I live in a ground floor, corner apartment and keep my little C3 parked right outside my bedroom window under cover.

Jumped on it to ride to work this morning and the license plate, frame, AND bolts were stolen!!!!

It had to happen in the middle of the night. We have 4 dogs who park at a gnat flying by, and all our neighbors know us.

Scoot is hidden in the dark under a dark cover, not visible from the road for those cruising by. 5 other motorcycles parked in our complex, license plates not mine, and intact.

Grrrrrrr.......!!!

:x
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

I've got $5 someone is riding a stolen MC/scooter with your tag on it.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

BeefSupreme wrote:I've got $5 someone is riding a stolen MC/scooter with your tag on it.
Yeah, me too! I called the police to file a report. Maybe they will catch the thief now that they know what his license plate # is!

:lol:
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Maybe not entirely necessary, but I'd contact my insurance company and let them know as well.
Anthonyf953

Post by Anthonyf953 »

Sorry to hear about your plate. Spend the $50 or so bucks and get a platepuller. Whenever you park for the night just slide the plate out and no more worries!
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Anthonyf953 wrote:Sorry to hear about your plate. Spend the $50 or so bucks and get a platepuller. Whenever you park for the night just slide the plate out and no more worries!
Sounds cool! Where can I get one?
snoozy

Post by snoozy »

You know, perhaps it didn't happen outside your place. Somebody stole my license plate off of my van, but they hadn't done it where I discovered it was missing. I had gone to Seattle and only noticed when someone came running up to me while I was parking, saying that my license plate had fallen off. Only, it wasn't my license plate. It was some other, that the thief had stuck on the bumper like a place holder. So maybe it had happened elsewhere, earlier, and you hadn't noticed.

Not that it really makes much difference...You still have to pay for a replacement. Sorry.
Anthonyf953

Post by Anthonyf953 »

Whimscootie wrote:
Anthonyf953 wrote:Sorry to hear about your plate. Spend the $50 or so bucks and get a platepuller. Whenever you park for the night just slide the plate out and no more worries!

Www.platepuller.com it works great! I pull mine everytime i park for the night just in case.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Pretty neat. I had never heard of such a thing!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Anthonyf953 wrote:
Whimscootie wrote:

Www.platepuller.com it works great! I pull mine everytime i park for the night just in case.
Wouldn't you have to pull it every time you parked and left the scoot?
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Whimscootie wrote:
Anthonyf953 wrote:
Whimscootie wrote: Sounds cool! Where can I get one?

That, my dear, is the point.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

KrispyKreme wrote:
Whimscootie wrote:
Anthonyf953 wrote:
Yeah, but he said ''park for the night'', so I wanted clarification on that comment LOL.
Last edited by Whimscootie on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

:P Sorry for the condescending attitude.

http://youtu.be/lQkpes3dgzg
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

In Chicago, if you park somewhere in public and take your plate off, the city will plasma cut your lock, or the frame, or whatever they have to do to pick it up and throw it on a flatbed and get it to the tow yard. It will then be labeled "abandoned" and thrown on its side on a pile of motorcycles and you'll be lucky to to find it, let alone get it back, and if you do you'll be ticketed for operating a vehicle without a license plate, fined for the tow, and charged for storage.

Try using really weird bolts, like safety torx in a weird size, or something like that.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

illnoise wrote: Try using really weird bolts, like safety torx in a weird size, or something like that.
http://www.scooterwest.com/item_details ... r_cat=true
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
alleycat2332

Post by alleycat2332 »

Is this common, I thought license plate theft was something that had pretty much died out.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

Security Torx bits are too easy to find. Should get something like Triwing or Offset Cruciform, or the numerous license plate anti-theft devices out there. Could even just try some left-hand threaded bolts, might confuse the thieves why turning the screw left tightens it.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

alleycat2332 wrote:Is this common, I thought license plate theft was something that had pretty much died out.
Like back when you were a kid???

:P

:)
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

KABarash wrote:
illnoise wrote: Try using really weird bolts, like safety torx in a weird size, or something like that.
http://www.scooterwest.com/item_details ... r_cat=true
I think I will order these. I'm not finding anything locally in the bike shops.

Thanks!
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
TVB

Post by TVB »

KrispyKreme wrote:
Whimscootie wrote:Wouldn't you have to pull it every time you parked and left the scoot?
And that, my dear, is why I consider it pointless. It seems like a huge amount of hassle and nuisance added to one's day, every day, to solve a relatively minor possible problem. (And if you forget ... the plate's even easier to steal!)
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

TVB wrote:
KrispyKreme wrote:
Whimscootie wrote:Wouldn't you have to pull it every time you parked and left the scoot?
And that, my dear, is why I consider it pointless. It seems like a huge amount of hassle and nuisance added to one's day, every day, to solve a relatively minor possible problem. (And if you forget ... the plate's even easier to steal!)
Those plate pullers weren't invented to stop theft, they were created to prevent the owner from getting a ticket from parking illegally.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Anthonyf953 wrote:
Whimscootie wrote:

I've been thinking about getting this, but then if it's "illegal" to park your scooter in a public place (like work) without the plate on it, what good is it?

I'd still have to leave the plate in the platepuller frame and then thieves could simply slide it out and steal it so much more easily than if it was bolted in.

Thoughts? Am I missing something here?

:?
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Whimscootie wrote:
Anthonyf953 wrote:
Whimscootie wrote: Sounds cool! Where can I get one?

I've been thinking about getting this, but then if it's "illegal" to park your scooter in a public place (like work) without the plate on it, what good is it?

I'd still have to leave the plate in the platepuller frame and then thieves could simply slide it out and steal it so much more easily than if it was bolted in.

Thoughts? Am I missing something here?

:?
They are to prevent you from getting a ticket for parking illegally on the sidewalk. Many jurisdictions won't ticket without a plate, and won't cut a chain to tow. Or at least what people hope.