Bike Color - Safety

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DanAW

Bike Color - Safety

Post by DanAW »

Hi.

I'm new here and am in the market to buy a new Buddy. My wife and I are split on what color to buy, but agree on the black. But, I'm a little concerned about the visibility of black at night.

Has anyone heard about this being a problem?

Thanks!
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

I wouldn't worry about it.

Any shortcomings on the part of the scoot itself can be addressed by aftermarket lighting such as led strips (where allowed by law and in compliance with any regulations as to prohibited colors), the addition of reflective tape, and/or the use of riding gear with good night visibility qualities such as reflective patches and piping.

We have a rule here in NJ that helmets (which are mandatory) must have at least two square inches of reflective material applied on each side.
DanAW

Thanks!

Post by DanAW »

Thank you. I did see a helmet (I'm in Maryland) with a flashing red light on the back.
charlie55

Re: Thanks!

Post by charlie55 »

DanAW wrote:Thank you. I did see a helmet (I'm in Maryland) with a flashing red light on the back.
Since you're contemplating black, you might be interested in something similar to this:

http://www.streetglo.net/reflective.mot ... e.kit.html

It's basically a reflective tape that appears to be black in daylight. A good way to increase your nighttime visibility without detracting from the appearance of the scoot.
DanAW

Great idea

Post by DanAW »

That's a great idea. Thanks!
snoozy

Post by snoozy »

As you drive around, notice all the motorcycles and scooters that are on the road. Soften your eyes' focus on the whole road scene, and note what stands out. Which ones are most visible to you? Notice the jackets. Are they neon or bright, or are they black or grey? Which catches your peripheral vision quickest?

Look at the cars. There are a lot of black and asphalt coloured cars out there. The few bright red or yellow cars really stand out, don't they?

Reflective decals and tape will only help you at night, but car drivers need all the help they can get to see you during daylight hours, too.

Being all stealth looks fine and rad on the cinema screen, but on the road, being visible can be a lifesaver.
DanAW

Post by DanAW »

Thank you. That's also good advice. My wife and I just need to agree on a color! :D

Seafoam is nice.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Make sure the jacket you may or not wear is either bright in color ( I ride Hi-viz yellow jackets, myself ) or with plenty of reflective materials. People may not see the scoot, but they will see you.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I wear one of these.
http://www.revzilla.com/product/icon-mil-spec-mesh-vest
I don't think the color of the scoot would help with visability
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (5.63 KiB) Viewed 1989 times
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
DanAW

Reflective vest

Post by DanAW »

Good idea. Do you wear it during the day...or only at night?

I've thought of riding with one at night...only a little rough in the winter with my winter overcoat on top of my suit
KABarash

Re: Reflective vest

Post by KABarash »

DanAW wrote:Good idea. Do you wear it during the day...or only at night?

I've thought of riding with one at night...only a little rough in the winter with my winter overcoat on top of my suit
I wear it all the time, it's sized so it can be worn over any outer garment yet snugly enough so it won't 'billow' up like the construction 'safety' vests do.
(My son's Colonel gave them to us upon passing the MSF class)
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I had a flat black Buddy. And I too was concerned with visibility. But I came from riding little 49cc scoots on country back roads, so I was already gearing up "hi viz". Even a hi viz motorcycle flag that I bought on line.

Hi viz saddle bags, hi viz flag, hi viz jacket, hi viz vest. You can even buy hi viz helmets, gloves, pants/chaps, top cases.

Dorky? Some may think so, but I'd rather be a "live dork than a dead duck"!

:P

I have one of those vests too and I have some hi viz tees and mesh vests that I bought in Wally World in the mens' work wear department.

Lime green, that's me!
Attachments
OlympiaVest.jpg
OlympiaVest.jpg (8.93 KiB) Viewed 1978 times
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
DanAW

Vests

Post by DanAW »

Hi deb

You must be a sight to see! Thanks for the info.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

More than anything, visibility is a two-to-tango proposition - you need to do your part, and others need to do theirs (i.e., pay attention). My scoot is bright red, as is my armored jacket, and my helmet is bright safety orange. And yet, people still "do not see me".

I'm convinced that you could ride in broad daylight with a hundred strobes on your scoot and a Roman candle up your butt, and you still "wouldn't be seen". Think about it: even emergency vehicles, with all of their colors, lighting effects, and noisemakers get t-boned far too often for it to be a simple matter of visibility.

So, do everything you can to be visible, but ride as if you're not.
DanAW

Good advice

Post by DanAW »

I appreciate the words of wisdom.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

charlie55 wrote:More than anything, visibility is a two-to-tango proposition - you need to do your part, and others need to do theirs (i.e., pay attention). My scoot is bright red, as is my armored jacket, and my helmet is bright safety orange. And yet, people still "do not see me".

I'm convinced that you could ride in broad daylight with a hundred strobes on your scoot and a Roman candle up your butt, and you still "wouldn't be seen". Think about it: even emergency vehicles, with all of their colors, lighting effects, and noisemakers get t-boned far too often for it to be a simple matter of visibility.

So, do everything you can to be visible, but ride as if you're not.
Couldn't be better stated!

:clap:
skully93

Post by skully93 »

True indeed!

My wife had a very large yellow truck. someone slammed into it, and tried to say "Sorry, I didn't see you".

A friend stated "Having visibility is great, but if you're relying on others to see you, well...your funeral will be very nice."

Sad but true.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Put another way: "Ride like every other driver is out to kill you!"

:shock:
alleycat2332

Post by alleycat2332 »

I have to agree with most of the advice, if you dig the black scooter, get the black scooter. The most important thing you can do is be a vigilant rider. You have close calls when you're driving a car, you have close calls when you're on a scoot.

If you're really concerned you can load yourself down with light strips, reflectors and safety vests, but people are still gonna miss you every now and then.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

skully93 wrote: "Having visibility is great, but if you're relying on others to see you, well...your funeral will be very nice."
I believe in Hi-Viz, but this is all too true in my experience. (I have found I need to ride with the assumption that others are trying to hit me)
DanAW

Thanks!

Post by DanAW »

Thanks again for everyone's advice. It's really appreciated. I decided to get the black buddy 50.. I pick it up on Saturday.

I've really taken to heart all your advice about being seen and being safe.

I'll also wear a full face helmet..

happy riding!

Dan
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Get whatever color scooter you want. You can put reflective tape on your helmet, place a light on your backpack and do all kinds of things to be visible.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

What Deb and Dooglas said is spot on, excellent advise. Always be a little scared when you ride.
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

In my anecdotal experience of seeing which motorcyclists / scooterists stand out visibly, the helmet color is always what sticks out. I wear very visible white or yellow helmets for everything now. Enjoy your new scooter!!