future owner of a buddy 170cc scooter - road trip?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

thespykidfromseattle

future owner of a buddy 170cc scooter - road trip?

Post by thespykidfromseattle »

I'm gonna be moving from Miami to Tacoma early next year. I'm not gonna be able to bring my car with me, so I decided to purchase a scooter. My commutes to my future place of employment wont be more than 12 each way.

But before I start my new job, I'm taking two weeks to go up to the Washington/Canada border.

Will my scooter make it? I don't plan on taking a lot. Just some clothes and food.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

If you are up to it, the Buddy will be up to it.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
KrispyKreme

Re: future owner of a buddy 170cc scooter - road trip?

Post by KrispyKreme »

thespykidfromseattle wrote:I'm gonna be moving from Miami to Tacoma early next year. I'm not gonna be able to bring my car with me, so I decided to purchase a scooter. My commutes to my future place of employment wont be more than 12 each way.

But before I start my new job, I'm taking two weeks to go up to the Washington/Canada border.

Will my scooter make it? I don't plan on taking a lot. Just some clothes and food.
If it's a new scooter I would recommend "breaking it in" first. Taking a road trip like that(unless you vary the RPMs, which would be a major pain in the ass) would be the worst way to break in an engine. If it's broken in(500 miles or so and after the first service) It's good to go.
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

If purchasing a brand new scooter, you probably should break it in before tackling a longer trip.

Edit: Also, don't wait so long to hit "submit" or someone else will post the exact same thing before you. :lol:
TVB

Post by TVB »

As long as you don't try doing the ride non-stop. :)

I've taken my Buddies (50 and 125) on week-long road trips in the 1200-1500 mile range. I cover 125-150 (sometimes up to 200) miles a day; you can do more easily, but it starts to get tiring and tedious, especially day after day. I pack a tent and sleeping bag on the rear rack, a few changes of clothes under the seat, and not much else. I eat at restaurants, which saves the trouble of bringing food, and give both you and the bike time to rest during the day. It's a great way to travel!
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Wait, are you buying the Buddy in Washington or Miami? One road trip is significantly shorter than the other. But the break-in advice is pretty much the same.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

jrstone wrote:If purchasing a brand new scooter, you probably should break it in before tackling a longer trip.

Edit: Also, don't wait so long to hit "submit" or someone else will post the exact same thing before you. :lol:

Great minds and all that. 8)
thespykidfromseattle

Post by thespykidfromseattle »

PeteH wrote:Wait, are you buying the Buddy in Washington or Miami? One road trip is significantly shorter than the other. But the break-in advice is pretty much the same.
In Washington.
pcameronbrooks

Post by pcameronbrooks »

Check out NW Motor Scooter in Tacoma, they may have a great used Buddy for sale. That way you do not have to break it in. Riding between Tacoma and Canada would be fun.
dress for the crash, not for the ride.....ride on
skipper20

Re: future owner of a buddy 170cc scooter - road trip?

Post by skipper20 »

thespykidfromseattle wrote:I'm gonna be moving from Miami to Tacoma early next year. I'm not gonna be able to bring my car with me, so I decided to purchase a scooter. My commutes to my future place of employment wont be more than 12 each way.

If you try it on I5 you'll be a hazard as most drivers are driving 5 to 10 mph over the 60 mph limit. Then when you get to Marysville the limit jumps to 70 and you'll really be a hazard. Especially with a brand new 170i where you are faced with breaking-in the engine. With cars crawling up your backside you'll be tempted to go WOT. For your engine's sake, don't do it. And, even at WOT you won't be going much over 60 especially with a new engine. Get out your WA state map and find SR 9 which parallels I5 to the east and goes all the way north to the border. You'll cross into Canada at Sumas but don't be tempted to get on Trans-Canada 1. It's as bad as I5. Go north to Mission, BC and then go west into Vancouver on BC hwy. 7. These WA and BC back roads are perfect for scooters like your new Buddy 170i. Lots of stops so your engine speed will vary which is what you want to do when breaking in an engine. Even if you buy a used 170i with a nicely broken-in engine, I still urge you to stay off the Interstates. I've been there and done that and they're just plain unsafe for small scooters like a Buddy especially with its 10" wheels and tires. I'm 81 years old and I didn't get this far by being stupid with 2 wheelers. Above all be safe and give us a trip report when you get back. Good luck!

Bill in Seattle
'09 150 Blackjack
'12 170i Italia :)
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

You would not want to make the trip solely on I-5 in any case. Not only is the Interstate the wrong place for a Buddy, but it is neither a pleasant nor very scenic route for a scooter ride. As skipper says, there are other routes. Washington has the huge advantage that it is possible to include ferry rides in your trips. You can go from Tacoma across to Gig Harbor and then up the Peninsula and across the Hood Canal Bridge to Port Townsend. From there you could take the ferry over to Whidbey Island and circle around to return to Tacoma; or you could go on to Port Angeles and take the ferry to Victoria, see Vancouver Island, then back or on by ferry to Vancouver. The US 101 loop around the Olympic Peninsula is another good trip. Lots of choices. Longer or shorter trips. Whatever you choose.
TVB

Post by TVB »

The best thing about traveling by scooter is staying off letter-number roads, and taking roads that have names.
snoozy

Post by snoozy »

Yeah, I-5 would be the pits! It's not really enjoyable going flat-out. And you shouldn't on an unbroken-in Buddy. (Ooh -- look at that: on, an, un, en & in all in a row, practically! :lol: )

Sorry -- back to the subject...

Nice thing about scooting on pleasant country roads are the smells -- fresh cut hay/grass, sea smell, fir needles all sunheated... You won't be able to smell that on the interstates. I-5 is straight as an arrow and boring. Smaller roads have gentle curves to them where leaning to turn is graceful and pleasing and feels very free.
jenspoke

Welcome...

Post by jenspoke »

...to the Pacific North West! I'm on the Canadian side, and totally agree with all the recommendations about sticking to the secondary roads. You'll love it up here, and will find lots of scooter friendly roads to explore.

:D
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

On any longer trip I take, I usually do two things:

1. plan the distance travelled around a speed of 45 mph--then I usually go 60+ but stop whenever I want to.

2. only go about 300-350 miles in a day. That's around six hours of riding during a day, which strikes me as not too much.

Just my thoughts.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).