Who has rented a UHaul utility trailer to haul a scoot?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Whimscootie

Who has rented a UHaul utility trailer to haul a scoot?

Post by Whimscootie »

I've got a receiver hitch on my Honda CRV.

Thinking about using a UHaul utility trailer to haul it home when it's ready.

Experiences good or bad using one of these?

Other choices are cargo van or smallest truck. Price and mileage costs go up with those.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
charlie55

Re: Who has rented a UHaul utility trailer to haul a scoot?

Post by charlie55 »

Whimscootie wrote:I've got a receiver hitch on my Honda CRV.

Other choices are cargo van or smallest truck. Price and mileage costs go up with those.
Never rented one myself, but my Helix was delivered about 150 miles in one with no problems. It was one of those with a drop gate and railing all around. Plenty of spots for tie-downs.

Tip for ya: after you have the scoot all tied down snug, take a pair of zip ties and apply one to each brake handle such that the brakes are applied. This will prevent the scoot from creeping forward or backward if any slack develops in the tie-downs.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

My experience ended with me stranded by the side of a lonely road with a flat tire on the U-Haul trailer on 4th of July weekend, so... yeah. Seriously, here's what I learned. U-Haul actually rents a special "motorcycle" trailer for this purpose. The particular one I rented had been way overloaded by previous renters and, as a result, the tires had rubbed themselves bald against the fenders on the inner edge, so the tire looked fine on the outer edge but was completely worn bare from the middle to the inner edge. This was very easy to overlook because of the way the fender sits over the tire. In order to actually see the inner tire tread, it was necessary to crawl under the trailer with a flashlight, which I did not do, to my lasting regret. And yeah, a couple hundred miles later, there I was by the side of the road, in the middle of nowhere, on 4th of July weekend, and so on...

P.S. The contents of the conversation between my (intensely angry) wife and the U-Haul folks on the phone the third (or fourth) time we called remains a closely guarded family secret but they did finally send somebody to change the tire. :wink:
Syd

Post by Syd »

But all of this doesn't say don't rent a U-Haul trailer! just do what you can to make sure the trailer is in good working order.

(Did you record that last conversation, jars jar? ) :)
The majority is always sane - Nessus
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

I've rented one several times with no problems. Just make sure you get the one designed for motorcycles. It has tie down hooks on the bottom 4 corners, a slot in the front which keeps your scooter's front tire from swiveling back and forth on the trailer floor and the tail gate is taller than the rest of the trailer so it doubles as a loading ramp. I use 2 tie-down straps at the front secured around the handlebars and 1 at the rear looped through the rear wheel. Haven't lost a scooter yet!

Bill in Seattle
'09 150 Blackjack
'12 170i Italia
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I use my CRV to pull my 6x8 trailer with a drop gate to transport my scoots to Bryson City NC for rides, to my dealer for repairs, stuff like that. All the advise about securing the scoot is excellent. Once secured and the brake controls tied down it will be secure. Your gas milage in the CRV will drop to about 19mpg. :wink:
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

As long as there are adequate tie down points, it should be fine. You can get pretty much any tie downs at Harbor Freight or Home Depot and just make sure there is enough angle to them from the bars to the tie down points (in other words you don't really want to come straight down from the bars) so that the headset can't swivel. If you can tie down from the back as well that's great but two ties from the bars should work.

I've had trouble with motorcycle trailers/carriers as well. I bought one from HF - the kind that connects directly to the receiver hitch and holds a bike long ways across the back of the vehicle. The problem is that most of the little slots for the tires of the bike are made for tires much larger than 10" and so they don't sit properly. Almost lost my Buddy off the back.
DaBinChe

Post by DaBinChe »

How far is it? Have someone drop you off and ride it home. Check the tire pressure, oil level and brakes.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Also use a tie down around the front tire rim and the front bar of the trailer.
Zip tie or bungee the hand brake which locks the brakes, do all of the above mentioned securing methods and that scoot is good to go!!! :wink:
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

DaBinChe wrote:How far is it? Have someone drop you off and ride it home. Check the tire pressure, oil level and brakes.
I am considering this. It is over 120 miles on isolated rural back roads with sketchy to no cell phone service in some areas.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Whimscootie wrote:I am considering this. It is over 120 miles on isolated rural back roads with sketchy to no cell phone service in some areas.
Perfect. :)
DaBinChe

Post by DaBinChe »

Whimscootie wrote:
DaBinChe wrote:How far is it? Have someone drop you off and ride it home. Check the tire pressure, oil level and brakes.
I am considering this. It is over 120 miles on isolated rural back roads with sketchy to no cell phone service in some areas.
You should be able to do that in about 3-4 hours on one tank of gas
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

TVB wrote:
Whimscootie wrote:I am considering this. It is over 120 miles on isolated rural back roads with sketchy to no cell phone service in some areas.
Perfect. :)
I would not hesitate to do it myself. In fact, I wanted to do that originally for the adventure of it all.

When I and my partner went to look at the scooter we started to drive home that route. It is very convoluted with no direct, on-going roads from point A to point B.

We got so lost, even using GPS, that we finally got back on the interstate and returned home that way. And I HATE the interstate in the car and the scoot could not use it anyway.

There are 4 local bridges over the river from Kentucky into Ohio from where the seller lives. They are all interstate highway.

To get to one that isn't interstate involves the 70 mile drive, a crossover, then a 50 mile drive to home on rural back roads that are my passion.

It could be done, no doubt, but it might be more aggravation than adventure and fun.

I haven't totally discounted it as an option, however. It really appeals to me.

Heck, I rode my first Ruckus home over 50 miles and over the Mighty Ohio River bridge (non-interstate) and it was a blast! And in the rain too.
Whimscootie

Wrap it up...

Post by Whimscootie »

I've decided to rent a cargo van from UHaul to pick up the scooter.

It's cheap and my scooter will be protected from the elements and the heavy traffic that I will be traveling in over in the urban sprawl.

The back road trip sounded good, but involves other people who are not that available, or capable, of accompanying me on something like that.

Not sure when I will get it. Seller is still working on getting the battery charged up or replaced between working shift work.

I am trying to be patient because I really want this scoot!
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Smart move!!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wrap it up...

Post by jrsjr »

Whimscootie wrote:I've decided to rent a cargo van from UHaul to pick up the scooter.
I've done that, too, and I found a bag of 4 of soft-ties to be an enormous help. The cargo van didn't have a great way to attach the large hook that my tie downs have, so we used the soft ties everywhere and then attached the hooks to the soft-ties. It worked great. Good luck!
Berner

Post by Berner »

charlie55 wrote:Tip for ya: after you have the scoot all tied down snug, take a pair of zip ties and apply one to each brake handle such that the brakes are applied. This will prevent the scoot from creeping forward or backward if any slack develops in the tie-downs.
Great suggestion ... thanks. I used small bungee cords wrapped around both brake levers to achieve the same effect during my 200 mile tow this morning. The scooter felt just a little more stable than without.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I use bungee cords too, cheaper than plastic ties but works too. Without bungee cords and duct tape the world would be in serious trouble. :wink:
Whimscootie

Re: Wrap it up...

Post by Whimscootie »

jrsjr wrote:
Whimscootie wrote:I've decided to rent a cargo van from UHaul to pick up the scooter.
I've done that, too, and I found a bag of 4 of soft-ties to be an enormous help. The cargo van didn't have a great way to attach the large hook that my tie downs have, so we used the soft ties everywhere and then attached the hooks to the soft-ties. It worked great. Good luck!
Thanks for that tip! I will definitely look for those!
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Wolfhound wrote:I use bungee cords too, cheaper than plastic ties but works too. Without bungee cords and duct tape the world would be in serious trouble. :wink:
Yeah, and don't forget to add cable ties to that mix!

I love the new colors and patterns in duct tape too! :D
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

So it's looking like I will need:

4 soft ties
4 straps with hooks
roll of duct tape
package of long, thick cable ties

cargo van
scoot

anything else?

:wink:
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Wolfhound wrote:I use bungee cords too, cheaper than plastic ties but works too.....
Not if you're on good terms with the installation techs at work. :wink:
Whimscootie

Starting to worry...

Post by Whimscootie »

Starting to worry now because it has been a week and a half and the seller seems no closer to getting the scoot's battery either charged or replaced.

I texted last night that I would take it "as is" at a reduced cost and get the repairs done myself, but no response.

No response!

What to think? I am starting to feel jerked around, aggravated, etc.

What is so damn difficult about putting a scooter on a battery tender or at least responding to my offer with something like, "No, we'll get it running" or "That offer sounds reasonable. When do you want to pick it up?"

Anything.

I am beginning to believe that I may not be getting this scooter and I really, really want this particular one!

Am I being too impatient? Unreasonable? What?

:roll:
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

No, you are being sensible. Give it a day or two for him to answer and then
look somewhere else. I don't believe that you put any money up to hold it.
If not then all you are out is your time and the aggravation.
pattio

Post by pattio »

It's normal and human to feel impatient. Some things in life just can't get here fast enough, like holiday morning when you're a kid. I drive myself crazy 'tracking' a package when I've ordered something online.

If you end up with the scoot, the memory of it taking too long will soon be forgotten. If this one isn't to be, there are plenty of fish in the sea.

I know I came off like a jerk in the other thread on the subject of getting the deal done, but my silly personal rule set is a direct result of being a person who has a lot of sympathy for where you are at with this and comes up with personal rules to keep from ending up there. Again.

Best of luck.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

pattio wrote:It's normal and human to feel impatient. Some things in life just can't get here fast enough, like holiday morning when you're a kid. I drive myself crazy 'tracking' a package when I've ordered something online.

If you end up with the scoot, the memory of it taking too long will soon be forgotten. If this one isn't to be, there are plenty of fish in the sea.

I know I came off like a jerk in the other thread on the subject of getting the deal done, but my silly personal rule set is a direct result of being a person who has a lot of sympathy for where you are at with this and comes up with personal rules to keep from ending up there. Again.

Best of luck.
Well, thanks for that. I just went through the process of selling my Buddy to a person out of state and gosh darn I was absolutely the most "customer service friendly" seller on the planet!

Most people on CL fall short of this. They won't return calls, ignore texts, fail to show up to look at an item or buy it, etc.

I guess it's par for the course.

Like a family member said, "If they didn't take care of the scooter for 4 years why would they rush to do it now."

Good point, well taken, as were yours.

I am actually NOT expecting anymore contact from this seller and so I say, "Que Sera"...

:(
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

It is a shame. Having been business on my own I know that the only way to sell or serve successfully is to take care of the client!
Sorry that this one fell thru but there will be another deal coming that will
be better.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

If I don't hear anything by Friday I am moving on...
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Whimscootie wrote:If I don't hear anything by Friday I am moving on...
It's God's way of telling you to buy a Helix. :lol:
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

"What a revoltin' development this is!"

I hope you get something sorted out.....
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

KABarash wrote:"What a revoltin' development this is!"

I hope you get something sorted out.....
I've actually been thinking it may be for the best.
Thinking about a used Met to go with my Yammie.
Miss mine so much!
Dage'sVew

Post by Dage'sVew »

Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

2002 scoot with only 280 miles? That could spell trouble if the seller has not
gone over it carefully, made sure it runs, carb is ok, tires have not dry rotted, things like that. This scoot has basically been stored for 12 years. :(
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Dage'sVew wrote:Here ya go: <a "href=http://tuscarawas.craigslist.org/mcy/46 ... l">[b]2002 Met[/b]</a>

Hmmm, didn't link. Try this: http://tuscarawas.craigslist.org/mcy/4609204451.html
Way too far away from me, but pretty nice! :D
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Wolfhound wrote:2002 scoot with only 280 miles? That could spell trouble if the seller has not
gone over it carefully, made sure it runs, carb is ok, tires have not dry rotted, things like that. This scoot has basically been stored for 12 years. :(
Yeah, I'd be concerned somewhat. If it starts right up and runs good, ok. Tires can be replaced at pretty low cost. Looks good tho, doesn't it?
Godio13

Post by Godio13 »

I rented a trailer from uhaul out of Boston. With no insurance it was 15 a day and came out to something like 47.00 from a Friday pick up to a Monday drop off. Not too shabby for a whole weekend plus some.

You do need a Hitch and to install the connecting wires to the lights. I learned that the hard way when I showed up with just the hitch. They charged me 139 for the cables and labor. I would have turned around and went home to do it myself but my weekend was riding on leaving on time and I needed it done ASAP. Other than that- good experience. Quick and easy and cheap!

The trailer also held two scoots, fy.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Well, good news! (I hope). The seller has the scooter ready, or so he says. Says it's charged. My concern is "will it HOLD that charge?"

Nevertheless, I am going after it!

I am renting a UHaul cargo van and going and getting it on Friday. We don't have a ramp so I am hoping to get a board of some type from Lowes and take along.

There is a Honda dealer not far from there and if I have to I will drive it there and see if they can help us get it ON the truck bed.

On this side there is a Harley dealer near where I live and maybe they can help us get it OUT of the truck bed!

I don't know. Somehow we will get it here....
Last edited by Whimscootie on Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Whimscootie wrote: good news.
I am going after it!.
WooHoo....!
:clap: :clap:
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Whimscootie wrote:I am renting a UHaul pick-up and going and getting it on Friday. We don't have a ramp so I am hoping to get a board of some type from Lowes and take along.
Yep, been there, done that, too. Back the truck (carefully!) into a shallow ditch, then the ramp doesn't have to lift the bike as far or drop it as far at when unloading.

Good Luck!
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

jrsjr wrote:
Whimscootie wrote:I am renting a UHaul pick-up and going and getting it on Friday. We don't have a ramp so I am hoping to get a board of some type from Lowes and take along.
Yep, been there, done that, too. Back the truck (carefully!) into a shallow ditch, then the ramp doesn't have to lift the bike as far or drop it as far at when unloading.

Good Luck!
Yeah, have done that also by backing up to a hillside or rise in the pavement.

I just switched to a cargo van...thinking it might be easier to load and secure the scooter inside.

Hard to say which has the advantage, it or the pick-up with regard for ground to deck as they don't show those dimensions for those two.

I just feel like the cargo van is more manageable. I will take off the mirrors and strap it to the side I guess.

Getting sort of excited, but very nervous about this transport stuff...

Hey, positive thought: I might be riding that scoot this weekend!

:D

Oh, another QUESTION: would you strap it in place on it's tires or on it's center stand?
Syd

Post by Syd »

Unless you are strapping the scoot to the side of the cargo van, put it on the tires. Do not tie down the scoot on the center stand. It's hard to compress the front suspension with the scoot on the center stand. It's the compression that keeps the scoot tight and stable.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Syd wrote:Unless you are strapping the scoot to the side of the cargo van, put it on the tires. Do not tie down the scoot on the center stand. It's hard to compress the front suspension with the scoot on the center stand. It's the compression that keeps the scoot tight and stable.
Thanks for that tip! Can you tell I've never done this? LOL

Always rode them home or had shop deliver them.

I am going over this morning to look at the van vs the pick-up.

Supposed to be beautiful weather all weekend, including tomorrow!

:D
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Good luck and keep us posted. :clap: :clap:
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Yeah, well it all seems to have worked itself out.

I went over to the UHaul this morning bright and early and these vans, trucks, and so forth are pretty darn tall! No ramps to rent, just more money to get a truck with a ramp, ridiculous!

So, on a whim, (no pun intended) I called the local Honda Powersports store which is a stone's throw from the buyer's house and asked if they would deliver it over to my side of the river if I rode it down to their location.

Bingo! Yep! No problem! They will deliver it to my door for a mere $70.

And while I'm down at the Honda shop, I am going to have them look at that battery.

I'm feeling no confidence in a 4 year old battery in a scoot with only 1K miles that has been sitting for all this time. So I may just buy a new one while I'm there.

Now I am getting excited about tomorrow!

:D :wink: :shock: :lol:
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Great news. :lol: