Someone offered me $$$$$$

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rsrider

Someone offered me $$$$$$

Post by rsrider »

I'm going to eventually sell the Buddy, no doubt. I will need the $$$ for the Vespa, but I was waiting for the summer to be over and the desperation of after Xmas bills to get serious on buying a used Vespa. Today, someone offers me $1,300 for my 2008 50cc Italia, with top box. I'm torn..........take the cash now, go scooterless, or continue to plot my cheap acquisition of said Vespa?
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Take the money and run.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Be like Steve Miller and "Take the money and run"....
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Syd wrote:Take the money and run.
Hell to the yeah. No kidding. :evil:
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

Take the cash!
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

:cry: My Buddy is gone!!! A sweet 16 year old kid bought it. I've got $1300 in my pocket and a mission to get the VESPA!!!!!
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

What Vespa? The Primavera? The Sprint? Or an old school PX type? I really like the look of the new Sprint....
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

GTS or GTV, I'm going BIG!
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

rsrider wrote:GTS or GTV, I'm going BIG!
I think that is the most bang for the buck.. Wise decision!!!
snoozy

Post by snoozy »

Does the kid's Mama know you sold her son/daughter a scooter?
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

snoozy wrote:Does the kid's Mama know you sold her son/daughter a scooter?
I'm not a like dealership, who only cares about the sale. :no:

His dad was the one who came up to me and told me his son was looking for a moped or scooter, and they both came to my house to pick it up. I wanted to make sure the kid liked it and let him putt it up and down the alley so he knew he could handle it. They both drove away happy. I was the one who was sad, but I don't think I could get that price for the scoot during the winter.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Don't forget about us lowly Buddy riders. I suppose you will be over at Modernvespa now....how soon they forget..... :cry: :P
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

KrispyKreme wrote:

Don't forget about us lowly Buddy riders. I suppose you will be over at Modernvespa now....how soon they forget..... :cry: :P
Right now, I'm more lowly than you guys because I'm scooterless. I don't know when I'll get the Vespa, just have to wait for the right deal. But when I do get it, yeah I'm going to put my snoot on and kick you peeps to the curb. I may even run you over as I go by. Movin' on UP!!!! (some of you older folks may get that) Ciao baby.....

In other news: I finally saw a GROM on the show room floor. I even sat on it. It really is a toy, but I can see the fascination because you could probably have some serious hooligan moments with the thing. But how many curb hops and wheelies can you do before it gets boring? I use to go to some of the stunt shows back when it was becoming popular and they were pretty tedious to watch. Circle wheelie left, circle wheelie right, now do it standing up, now do stoppie, now a long wheelie, now a long stopie, ummmmmmmm repeat with a woot woot this time. Don't forget the fist bump brah. srsly.....meh.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

rsrider wrote:But when I do get it, yeah I'm going to put my snoot on and kick you peeps to the curb. I may even run you over as I go by. Movin' on UP!!!! (some of you older folks may get that) Ciao baby.....
Uh, let me know when the beatdown tour reaches NJ. I need some time to strap a helmet on my mother-in-law and prop her up in the driveway.

Seriously, I agree with your sales M.O. If only everyone on Craigslist practiced it as well. :roll:

Good luck with the upcoming quest and purchase.
Syd

Post by Syd »

rsrider wrote::cry: My Buddy is gone!!! A sweet 16 year old kid bought it. I've got $1300 in my pocket and a mission to get the VESPA!!!!!
Congrats, rsrider! We'll done. Don't forget, after you get your snoot on, to sign up over at Modern Vespa (unless you are already). There's plenty of snooty-snoots there. But lots more good folks than snoots.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Well, while we're on the subject....

I've crossed over to the Dark Side myself. I bought a 1980 P200E today.

The Mrs. had always shown a preference for classic, to the extent of really going Stella shopping (but not finding good options) when we bought the Italia a few years ago. This scoot was up for sale on consignment by one of the top scooter wrenches here in STL. Price was right, so we pulled the trigger.

This P is bone stock. I've got the original title (one owner), original paperwork from its purchase in '80 at a now-defunct Chevy (& Piaggio) dealer here in STL, all maintenance records, etc. Only 4xxx miles, too. It has a few dings and scratches, but nothing too bad. Before the sale, the shop had done an engine rebuild - new bearings, seals, gaskets, clutch, cruciform, etc. It runs nice and strong, and all the electrics work. I haven't had a shifty since my CB550F back in the mid-80's, but picking up the grip-shifter was like ... er ... riding a bicycle.

The Buddy will most likely go up for sale shortly.

And so to prove it actually happened...

Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

I thought about going retro for about 10 seconds, but I like new stuff. :)

So I won a 2012 Kawi Ninja 250R a couple years back in the Kawasaki Good Times Give Away. I gave it to my wife because she needed a bike and it was like perfect for her. Today she tells me to sell the Ninjette and use the money to buy a Vespa. I love my wife. :cry:
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

rsrider wrote:I thought about going retro for about 10 seconds, but I like new stuff. :)

So I won a 2012 Kawi Ninja 250R a couple years back in the Kawasaki Good Times Give Away. I gave it to my wife because she needed a bike and it was like perfect for her. Today she tells me to sell the Ninjette and use the money to buy a Vespa. I love my wife. :cry:
If only I had a breeze like that. :(
pattio

Post by pattio »

PeteH wrote:Well, while we're on the subject....

Dark Side?
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

pattio wrote:
PeteH wrote:Well, while we're on the subject....

Dark Side?

It is a 2-stroke.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Things were going so well, and now they've come to a complete stop. I thought the flow was going to have the Kawi 250r sold within the week, and a shiny Vespa in my garage by the end of the month. Looks like I'll have to dial back the enthusiasm. :( Come one universe make some magic happen!!!!
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

rsrider wrote:Things were going so well, and now they've come to a complete stop. I thought the flow was going to have the Kawi 250r sold within the week, and a shiny Vespa in my garage by the end of the month. Looks like I'll have to dial back the enthusiasm. :( Come one universe make some magic happen!!!!
Better break out the candles and start the chanting...;)
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

rsrider wrote:Things were going so well, and now they've come to a complete stop. I thought the flow was going to have the Kawi 250r sold within the week, and a shiny Vespa in my garage by the end of the month. Looks like I'll have to dial back the enthusiasm. :( Come one universe make some magic happen!!!!
OK, St. Anthony will remain inverted until you either sell the Ninja or get pregnant. I forget which.

PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Everybody (in STL) knows you bury a little statue of St. Joseph in your yard to sell your house.

Hmm. St. Columbanus of Bobbio is the patron saint of motorcycling. Might be tricky to find his statue to keep in your pet carrier.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
rsrider

Still on the front page....so use it.

Post by rsrider »

My saga continues: it's a bit of a read, but there's pictures!!! So yeah, read on.

After selling the Buddy, my search for the Vespa intensified. Especially when I started missing riding a scooter. (confession: total scooter junkie now) Everything that I'm interested in is $4K and up, and all of it is like 5+ years old. My wife tells me to go the Vespa dealer and see what they have. I tell that I'll get there, they'll have what I want, but it will be $7K and up and out of my range., no point. Tuesday, I gear up for a maintenance ride on the Triumph, and the battery is dead, like so far gone when I hook it up the charger it starts to smell like sulfer and gets really hot. Yeah, it was on a trickle charger, obviously a POC charger. And this is while I'm still in the garage getting the Ducati ready, because I'm determined to ride.

So I'm out riding my normal loop and it's going pretty good as only a couple of people try to kill me, and I make to the local Hardley dealer, where I always stop because the have FREE COFFEE! hellyeah...and they also have Triumph, Honda, and Kawasaki. And two doors down there is a Yamanail Suzuki, and Genuine dealer, so it's motorcycle awesomeness.

I walk in the door, and there is Carlin Dunne, google him, he owns Ducati/Vespa of Santa Barbara. He's picking up a Triumph for a client, srsly, picking up a bike that's not even something he sells, (yet, as the shop will selling Triumph in a couple of months) and WAKE UP!!!THIS STORIES NOT OVER YET!!!!!

I'm talking to him and tell him I'll be down cause I need the torque values for the fittings on the front wheel of my Monster as I'll be pulling it off soon to have it replaced. And I did look on web, and no I couldn't find them, even in the Ducati Monster forums. blah.......I completely space about asking him about a Vespa, until after I've wandered around and had some coffee, coffee is good coffee is great. And so I ask him if he has any left over GTS's or GTV's he's willing to deal on. He say he has a 2013 GTS Super, and to drop by and he'll work out some numbers. I finish my coffee, and leave because looking at liquid cooled Hardleys makes me cry.

I'm a firm believer in the idea that the universe flows and ebbs and things that appear, out of nowhere, usually appear for reason that is either promoted by your thoughts at a conscience or unconscious level. You attract or repel depending on your state of being and it's never ending quest to attain your personal truths and fulfillment. Running into Dunne at a place that I would never think to see him is to me, serendipity. I told my wife when I got home, and she thought that as well.

Next day, we mesh our schedules because my wife is heading to SB, and I'm retired so a 4 hour session of Skyrim can be postponed indefinitely. Get to Ducati/Vespa, and Carlin shows us the scoot, which is WHITE, and is pretty much exactly what I wanted in my Vespa. I tell him yeah, I'm interested and so he goes to run some #'s. Comes back.....$6.5K OTD. That's like $150 over MSRP. I BUY IT!!!!!!

VESPA!!!!

Srsly, I need to get rid of some shite:
The red bike: kawi 250r will be sold and the money put back into my savings account, which I devastated when I bought the VESPA! yeah, a VESPA!

Ok, now I need a photo site that doesn't suck as much as flickr, anyone?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Congratulations, she's a beaut! :clap:

If it'll help you feel better about your garage, I'll get you a picture of the club garage I share. It's brimming with busted scoots. One of these days, I'll have time. For now, I just stockpile parts as I find them when the prices are right.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Worked better than expected - you got your Vespa and neither my wife nor my mistress is pregnant.

Congrats!

rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Even weirder, I have a WHITE Suomy Spec1-R that I use when I'm filming my ummm rides, yeah, and when I ride at night, which really is only on full moons during warm evenings. So it's like a nice color match. I'm removing stickers and cleaning right now........So much to do, and all the time and world. ;) being retired is awesome, except for the being old part, that sucks.