2015 Genuine buddy 170i

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kentuckybuddy

2015 Genuine buddy 170i

Post by kentuckybuddy »

Does anyone know when the 2015 Genuine Buddy 170i's will be at dealers? Also the MSLP of the 170i? Thanks
I am a Viet Nam Vet 65-66 (Big Red One) Search and destroy missions
Buddy 170i
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Unless Genuine announces such explicitly, don't assume there will be a 2015 model. Depending on the demand and on the supply chain agreements with PGO, Genuine may not import further scoots from PGO, but may provide warehoused or in-transit 2014 (or prior) stock to dealers. This happened with some past years of 125s and 150s.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
TVB

Post by TVB »

Genuine doesn't generally make changes from year to year just for the sake of making changes (unless you count dropping/adding a color option or two), so don't expect a "model year" announcement. The scoots they sell next year will be pretty much the same as this year's ... unless they aren't. :)

Likewise, the 170's MSRP (which will almost never be the same price you pay out-the-door) will probably remain $3299.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

As far as I've seen, other than the headlight change with the '07 and on models there's been nothing other than a few color change, the addition of the 170i and deletion of the 150cc since the beginning...
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
kentuckybuddy

Post by kentuckybuddy »

All the dealers around me are all charging more than the MSLP> One is $3,349.00 and the other starting price is>$3,549.00. List is> $3,299.00 Then you have to add Sales tax-Shipping Cost-Documentation Fee. Do most dealers charge over list? So you are talking over 4 grand. As you can tell, I still have not got my 170i at this time. Do not want to make payments, pay cash. Only have on debit card. The wife and I got into a lot of trouble when we were young and (not so smart) just went wild a bought all kinds of things then we are surprised when we got those big bills. Pay off one with one card and so on - so on. We have been only paying cash since the 80's. If we can not pay for it, it just has to wait. Cars etc. Hate to say this, but have also been looking at the Like 200i. Really nice scooters and much cheaper. Made by Kymco. They have a beautiful 50th Anniversary 200i and it is in Gold with racing strips like the 170i. Great reviews except for the seat. So will have to make up my mind. Has disk brakes on the front and rear. I think they are MSRP $2,799.00 for the Anniversary model which I like. Price includes case on rear behind passenger. Also had Cell phone plug in. Bigger tires. Just checking my options. Kymco has a good reputation.
Buddy 170i
kentuckybuddy

Post by kentuckybuddy »

Here is a picture of the Like by Kymco. It is called 200i for some reason but only has (I think) 167 cc. Around the same speed and mileage as the Buddy.
Attachments
Like200i.jpg
Like200i.jpg (23.69 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
Buddy 170i
TVB

Post by TVB »

kentuckybuddy wrote:All the dealers around me are all charging more than the MSLP
Yes, I would expect they are. Unfortunately, pricing in this industry works on a model that involves a lot of "added" expenses that aren't included the manufacturer's "suggested" price. In addition to sales tax not being included, there's also the cost of shipping to the dealer, their assembly/prep labor, and vehicle title fees and registration with the state. The rationale for this is that these costs vary substantially from state to state, so the manufacturer doesn't try to build them into the list price. So what you need to ask right away whenever you talk to a dealer is what the out-the-door price is on a bike, and compare based on that.
TVB

Post by TVB »

kentuckybuddy wrote:Here is a picture of the Like by Kymco. It is called 200i for some reason but only has (I think) 167 cc. Around the same speed and mileage as the Buddy.
The "200" is a bit of subconscious marketing trick, to make people think of it as a 200cc-class bike.

But I hear it's a good bike, so it's worth considering on its own merits.
Slam

Post by Slam »

Everything is negotiable, though apparently there's not a lot of mark-up on scooters, so you probably won't see the sort of deal you might expect on a car. If I were you I wouldn't hesitate to ask for a price you are comfortable with. Best case scenario the dealer accepts your offer, worst case they say no. As always, be respectful and negotiate for a win-win outcome.

I think Genuine currently has a deal for a bonus year of service, which you might factor into your decision. I'm not sure what Kymco's warranty is, but 3 years unlimited mileage ain't too shabby.

Good luck!
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

Don't expect any changes really for 2015.
Genuine does one special edition, limited production model every year, but that is about it.
At this time, Tangerine is SOLD out until January 1st.
White and Seafoam is very low and might not have replacement until then too.
170i Pamplona is SOLD out too.
They have no more scooters coming into their warehouse (apart from Rough Houses and Matte Black 170i) until early 2015.
kentuckybuddy

Post by kentuckybuddy »

Slam wrote: I'm not sure what Kymco's warranty is, but 3 years unlimited mileage ain't too shabby.

Good luck!
Kymco "Like" has a 2 year warranty.
Buddy 170i
TVB

Post by TVB »

Slam wrote:Everything is negotiable, though apparently there's not a lot of mark-up on scooters, so you probably won't see the sort of deal you might expect on a car. If I were you I wouldn't hesitate to ask for a price you are comfortable with. Best case scenario the dealer accepts your offer, worst case they say no. As always, be respectful and negotiate for a win-win outcome.
Yeah, unlike car dealers, scooter dealers don't have the room to knock 10% off the sticker price just because you ask, even if you say that's the key to making the sale. The place to try negotiating is to ask for add-ons that don't cost them much, such as some free/discounted service, or discounts on accessories bundled into the deal. For example, when I bought my Buddy 50, I asked them to derestrict it (no cost to them), and add a rear rack (which cost them only wholesale price) for the price they originally quoted.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Go used. Way more bang for your buck on usually very little use machines.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

We fully expect the Genuine 300cc Cruiser to be available in 2015! IT WILL HAPPEN!

Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Benzo Mike

Post by Benzo Mike »

No doubt. The Buddy 170i is one of the four (FOUR!) models that have been EPA certified for the 2015 model year. Wouldn't cert it if you weren't going to import it.
New signature - you don't care what else I have, and I don't care to tell you about it. I have a 2009 Buddy Italia, let's leave it at that.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Benzo Mike wrote:No doubt. The Buddy 170i is one of the four (FOUR!) models that have been EPA certified for the 2015 model year. Wouldn't cert it if you weren't going to import it.

Four models of what?

Genuine bikes? Buddies?
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

ravenlore wrote:
Benzo Mike wrote:No doubt. The Buddy 170i is one of the four (FOUR!) models that have been EPA certified for the 2015 model year. Wouldn't cert it if you weren't going to import it.

Four models of what?

Genuine bikes? Buddies?
Looking forward to this answer.
Benzo Mike

Post by Benzo Mike »

Come on, people. Genuines. Buddy 50. Buddy 170i. Hooligan 170i. Stellauto 125. Info is easily retrievable over at EPA. You paid for it already, use it.

Already posted in another thread.
New signature - you don't care what else I have, and I don't care to tell you about it. I have a 2009 Buddy Italia, let's leave it at that.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Benzo Mike wrote:Come on, people. Genuines. Buddy 50. Buddy 170i. Hooligan 170i. Stellauto 125.
Genuine currently sells eight different models of scooter, so it wasn't quite so obvious what you meant.
Info is easily retrievable over at EPA. You paid for it already, use it. Already posted in another thread.
:roll: