Alternatives to top case or basket on scoot. Suggestions?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Whimscootie

Alternatives to top case or basket on scoot. Suggestions?

Post by Whimscootie »

I am tired of the look of the basket, though it is very functional and I have used one on all my scoots.

Top cases don't do it for me either. Functional, lockable, but I don't like the look.

Don't say "milk crate"-same category as the basket.

What else is there?

I know (or assume) the only locking choice is the top case, but I can lock big stuff under the seat, so not too focused on that.

What other luggage pieces for the rear of the scoot have you tried or seen?

I have soft saddlebags that work so let's just focus on some type of rear luggage piece that sits on the rear rack.

Thanks ahead of time!

:P
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
skipper20

Re: Alternatives to top case or basket on scoot. Suggestions

Post by skipper20 »

Whimscootie wrote:I am tired of the look of the basket, though it is very functional and I have used one on all my scoots.

Top cases don't do it for me either. Functional, lockable, but I don't like the look.

What else is there?

I know (or assume) the only locking choice is the top case, but I can lock big stuff under the seat, so not too focused on that.

I have soft saddlebags that work so let's just focus on some type of rear luggage piece that sits on the rear rack.

Thanks ahead of time!

Large Prima roll top bag available in brown or black. Available from Scooterworks and sold on eBay as well. I've had 2 of them, one on a Honda Helix and one currently on my Blackjack. They work great and look good too.

Bill in Seattle
'09 150 Blackjack
'12 170i Italia
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

skipper20 wrote:
Whimscootie wrote:I am tired of the look of the basket, though it is very functional and I have used one on all my scoots.

What else is there?

Thanks ahead of time!

Large Prima roll top bag available in brown or black. Available from Scooterworks and sold on eBay as well. I've had 2 of them, one on a Honda Helix and one currently on my Blackjack. They work great and look good too.

Bill in Seattle
'09 150 Blackjack
'12 170i Italia
As an option, you can also bungee the roll bag to the back half of your seat and use it for lumbar support.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I use a Biker's Friend roll bag. Works great and they come in a lot of different sizes. The only downside is that I have it on the passenger seat so I can use it as a backrest and that means it's a little more trouble to get in the pet carrier should I need to.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Well though I'm a 'basket guy' (Basket case maybe) I vote for this one also...
Whimscootie wrote:Yeah!

Here's one I am looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/Saddlemen-R1300LX ... r=positive
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
BoulderBud

Post by BoulderBud »

I use an elastic net. $3.20 on amazon. I keep a red nylon bag in my seat and sometimes fill it up and put it in the net. Also have a grocery bag to put on the deck. And, if I get desperate, I have a cheap nylon shoulder pack for more stuff. The 3 bags take up almost no room in the seat. Still plenty of room for my shitzou. I also keep a bungy cord for odd items like a tennis racket.
Last edited by BoulderBud on Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I use a bungee net, too, and find myself using my front rack more often than the rear. Might have a higher weight rating, too. At least if things start to come loose, hopefully I'll see it before it flies off! :lol:
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Whimscootie wrote:Yeah!

Here's one I am looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/Saddlemen-R1300LX ... r=positive
Be careful. As some of the reviews point out, no dimensions are given and the complaints are that it's on the small side. My Prima large roll bag measures 18" wide, 13" deep and 9" tall. The zippered side pockets make it even wider as they expand when you put stuff in them. My 170i has the folding rack on the front so I fitted a small Prima roll bag to that rack (the rear rack has the matching Italia top case) and with the under seat storage, the bag hook, the top case, large & small roll bags, I can bring home a week's worth of groceries with no problems.

Bill in Seattle
'09 150 Blackjack
'12 170i Italia
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

The size is listed and the sides expand too:

Product Dimensions 15 x 11 x 11 inches

I just bought one on Ebay as I am rolling in Ebay bucks right now.

With this, the huge under seat space, the bag hook, and the floor board I should be good to go.

Plus I've got a set of equine saddle bags (shown on my Met on my blog) that hold 2 water or fuel bottles. I can slap them on for grocery runs too.

There is a return option if it does not work out, which is a must.

I love that net idea mentioned above too. I have one in my pet carrier, but have never used it.

Nifty ideas, guys! :D
BoulderBud

Post by BoulderBud »

Love the net! Doesn't get in the way at all.

To attach the net I added a couple of eyelets to the forward bolts on the rack. Made my own by twisting a coat hanger to fit just right. The eyelets also provide an anchor for the bugee cord.
Godio13

Post by Godio13 »

What else is there?

Thanks ahead of time!

My husband got me saddlebags and I don't know how I lived without them. The ones I have are very simple, and not bulky or "hard" which means that they expand really well with whatever I put in them. I literally can hold $80 worth of groceries. It's unreal. They do not change the look of the bike all that much and look really nice with it. I will search for a picture! I HIGHLY recommend :)
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Here's a pic of mine on my Met. I bought mine at an Amish tack shop. $20!

Would love to see a pic of yours too!
Attachments
IMG_0429.jpg
IMG_0429.jpg (170.45 KiB) Viewed 1629 times
snoozy

Post by snoozy »

jrsjr wrote:I use a Biker's Friend roll bag. Works great and they come in a lot of different sizes. The only downside is that I have it on the passenger seat so I can use it as a backrest and that means it's a little more trouble to get in the pet carrier should I need to.
Do you have pic so i can see how you have it attached? I've been wanting a backrest and been pondering how to do it.
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

I have a vintage train case on my Buddy. From a suggestion here I used some beeswax-based waterproofing on it (though I have a hi-viz rain cover from an old bicycle pannier that I like to use for the safety aspect). Just drilled small holes in the bottom and used zip ties to attach.

I have one like this but green:

Some other styles:

Perhaps they're too much like a top case for your tastes, but I like the character they offer. They're all over etsy if your local vintage/Goodwill doesn't have any.
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

I have coveted the Givi trolley laptop bag.

Reviewed by Rider Magazine:
http://www.ridermagazine.com/gear/givi- ... eview.htm/

Tough to find but recently came across it on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIVI-T467-LAPTO ... b1&vxp=mtr

Ended up getting the much more sensible and reasonably priced Kappa case:
http://tourandride.com/browse-products/ ... ltr-detail

I'm not all that fond of the topcase look either, but can't beat the functionality.