[NBR] Do you believe this ad?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

charlie55

[NBR] Do you believe this ad?

Post by charlie55 »

Here's the text from a local Craigslist ad for a Jonway 150:

"Up for sale is my 2013 johnway scooter it gets about 80mpg maybe a little more depending on how you ride.. It is still pretty much new runs like the day I got it and is barely even broken in.. I have a disabled child and thought I could use this to save gaswhile he's in school but it only turned into an added expense on insurance as I don't really have time to ride only has 275 miles on bike..
Serious inquires only please I bought the bike for $4,850.00 I'm looking to get 2,500.00 price is stern so please don't call to try to talk me down also it's pick up only and will only except cash thanks for your time I can be reached on my cell show contact info home show contact info or you can e-mail me as well :) "

$4850 for a 150 China scoot and this person thought they'd save enough on gas to make it pay? (That's if you even believe that price.)

Why don't they, if they bought it to save money, "have the time to ride it"? "Having the time to ride" generally implies recreational use, no?

And now they'd have us believe that they're willing to take a 50% bath on the sale? Sounds more like they bought it for $1750 and are trying to gouge on the sale price.

I call "BS". Whadda you guys think?

You bought it to save on gas? At that price
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I agree.
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

If he actually called it a "johnway" and not the correct spelling "jonway", that is another red flag. He is either a hustler or a very stupid consumer.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Another scammer trying to take advantage of people not in the know. Let's face it: Most people don't really know about scoots and even more don't really care....
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

'disabled child', another warning sign, hits the sympathy button.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Did a quick look, 2014 Jonways are going for $999 locally. I call shenanigans, unless the Mafia's started demanding their slice from Chinese scooter resellers. :lol:
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

That is what I found out too. Scooter Depot had the 150cc at $1029.00,
another had them at $999.00 Both were 2014 models. Can you say SCAMMER? :lol:
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i believe that is a scam by someone trying to get $2500 for a scooter, or simply a joke ad

i did meet a fellow lately who bragged to me he got his 150 Big Ruckus clone for "only" $2600, brand new. he also said it would hit 90mph

i felt kind of bad for the guy because i was genuinely interested in the scooter and how long he had it, been riding, etc and after further convo got the idea he rides it because he is money poor

no wonder he looked at me funny when i told him at first i liked it, and showed some interest
Riding is riding
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i believe that is a scam by someone trying to get $2500 for a scooter, or simply a joke ad

i did meet a fellow lately who bragged to me he got his 150 Big Ruckus clone for "only" $2600, brand new. he also said it would hit 90mph

i felt kind of bad for the guy because i was genuinely interested in the scooter and how long he had it, been riding, etc and after further convo got the idea he rides it because he is money poor

no wonder he looked at me funny when i told him at first i liked it, and showed some interest
Riding is riding
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

JHScoot wrote:i believe that is a scam by someone trying to get $2500 for a scooter, or simply a joke ad

If he is talking about a custom Maddog that is about right. :wink: http://www.maddogscooter.com/
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

az_slynch wrote:Did a quick look, 2014 Jonways are going for $999 locally. I call shenanigans, unless the Mafia's started demanding their slice from Chinese scooter resellers. :lol:
SHENANIGANS HAS BEEN CALLED!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

KrispyKreme wrote:
JHScoot wrote:i believe that is a scam by someone trying to get $2500 for a scooter, or simply a joke ad

If he is talking about a custom Maddog that is about right. :wink: http://www.maddogscooter.com/
that is pretty awesome but it was nowhere near it!
Riding is riding
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Wolfhound wrote:'disabled child', another warning sign, hits the sympathy button.
Yeah, playing the "I did it for the children" card is a pathetic ploy on anyone's part. He's either scamming (my vote) or incredibly stupid (and I'll vote for that too). So he's a stupid scammer and should be run over by his disabled child's wheel chair. And possibly have some stranger who is walking by kick him in the sack while he's lying helpless on the ground. I'd also go with setting him on fire and tossing him off a cliff. Let the punishment fit the crime I always say, but hardly ever mean.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

You got it, rsrider. He is a stupid scammer but there will be a stupid buyer out there just waiting to be fleeced. As PT Barnum once said,"There is a sucker born every minute!" :wink:
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Kalifornication rsrider, preach it. :clap:
skipper20

Re: [NBR] Do you believe this ad?

Post by skipper20 »

charlie55 wrote:Here's the text from a local Craigslist ad for a Jonway 150:

"Up for sale is my 2013 johnway scooter it gets about 80mpg maybe a little more depending on how you ride.. It is still pretty much new runs like the day I got it and is barely even broken in.. I have a disabled child and thought I could use this to save gaswhile he's in school but it only turned into an added expense on insurance as I don't really have time to ride only has 275 miles on bike..
Serious inquires only please I bought the bike for $4,850.00 I'm looking to get 2,500.00 price is stern so please don't call to try to talk me down also it's pick up only and will only except cash thanks for your time I can be reached on my cell show contact info home show contact info or you can e-mail me as well :) "

$4850 for a 150 China scoot and this person thought they'd save enough on gas to make it pay? (That's if you even believe that price.)

Why don't they, if they bought it to save money, "have the time to ride it"? "Having the time to ride" generally implies recreational use, no?

And now they'd have us believe that they're willing to take a 50% bath on the sale? Sounds more like they bought it for $1750 and are trying to gouge on the sale price.

I call "BS". Whadda you guys think?

You bought it to save on gas? At that price
I like the price is "stern" phrasing. Well, yes, his asking price could be said to be a bit on the "stern" side.

Bill in Seattle
'09 150 Blackjack
'12 170i Italia
stickyfrog

Post by stickyfrog »

BuddyRaton wrote:
az_slynch wrote:Did a quick look, 2014 Jonways are going for $999 locally. I call shenanigans, unless the Mafia's started demanding their slice from Chinese scooter resellers. :lol:
A call of shenanigans is serious business. ;)
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

stickyfrog wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:
A call of shenanigans is serious business. ;)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MFZG8KQJni8

Only when they're cruel and tragic....evil shenanigans!
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...