Best 250-300cc FI Touring Scoot?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skipper20

Best 250-300cc FI Touring Scoot?

Post by skipper20 »

Genuine comes close with their 220ie Blur but with its smallish fuel tank I wouldn't consider it in the touring class. And, I owned one for about a year but despite several seat alterations I just didn't feel comfortable with the way it fit. OK, you of all scooter makes, what's your vote for the best 250-300cc fuel injected touring scooter? If the Honda Helix 250 had FI that would be my vote in an instant. And, my legs aren't as strong as they used to be so I don't need any heavyweights.

Bill in Seattle who at 81 would like to do some serious touring before it's time to give it all up

'09 150 Blackjack
'12 170i Italia
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Well, up the CCs by 30 and you get the BV350. Sym makes the citicom300 which would be nice. There is always the GTS300, but with it's smallish wheels it is not ideal for really long trips. Happy owners, im sure, would disagree. That's a few off the top of my head.....still waiting for Genuine's dog in the race..... :roll:
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

KrispyKreme wrote:Well, up the CCs by 30 and you get the BV350. Sym makes the citicom300 which would be nice. There is always the GTS300, but with it's smallish wheels it is not ideal for really long trips. Happy owners, im sure, would disagree. That's a few off the top of my head.....still waiting for Genuine's dog in the race..... :roll:
I'm with KriospyKreme on this one. The Bev350, by all accounts, is a near-perfect all-around bike. Big enough for touring, but not to big for the city. I would also mention Kymco's People 300GTI. the form-factor is roughly similar to the Bev, and it's not lacking for gumption according to an owner.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Raven, the Kymco would seem to fit the bill but that seat is bad. Add a shaved custom seat and I'm in. That engine is strong.
Christophers

Re: Best 250-300cc FI Touring Scoot?

Post by Christophers »

skipper20 wrote: If the Honda Helix 250 had FI that would be my vote in an instant. And, my legs aren't as strong as they used to be so I don't need any heavyweights.
Why not go for a Honda Helix? People have done thousands of mile tours on them with nothing but praise for the scooter.

If you're set on fuel injection I seriously suggest that you check out the Burgman 400. They're relatively and surprisingly lightweight for a maxi. They have a huge amount of storage. They have a very comfortable seat, and they are very comfortable on the freeway, in the twisties and over the duration of a long ride.

I assume that what you like about the Helix is the low seat height and ease of handling the scooter when your feet are down. Burgman 400s probably have even better ergonomics that the Honda Helix (both with feet down and when riding). They have a low seat and cutouts in the floor boards to make it easier to get both feet flat on the ground. I actually find the Honda Helix more difficult to handle by foot than the Burgman, even though the Burgman is a heavier scooter. And this would be my argument against the BV350. It's a tall scooter with a high center of gravity and is therefore less friendly moving around by foot than either the Helix or the Burgman.

FWIW - I don't own either a Helix, a Burgman or a BV350. My comparison is based on a full day of riding of a Helix in the Santa Monica mountains (4-5 hours/about 150 mile) and a two day trip on a Burgman 400 (approx. 750 miles: 50% twisties/50% freeway). My experience with the BV350 is solely from moving it around the showroom floor.
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Being as i'm biased to my Burgman 400... why not a Burgman 200? 2.8 gallon tank, ABS, just about the same amount of storage as the 400/650s. http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20L ... aspx#Specs
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Well skipper already had a helix, maybe back to the best :)? Bill I wish in yours and and my life time Genuine would put out the cruiser, it would be perfect for us! As far as the bv350, Its a wonderful bike but like other piaggios it is tall and top heavy. I'm an experienced rider and am not comfortable on one. Maybe check out a honda forza? Neck and neck with a helix it does better maybe because of the FI. Not too heavy or tall. Really for touring (with 9 days on the road on my recent trip) for me at least-the big issue is comfort, ability to jump on freeway for a little if needed, and room to store or bungee things. Fuel capacity is nice, but chances are you might want to stretch your legs every 150-175 miles or so, and if not, strap a gas can on. That's just me. The helix was great for days on the road. Really it's the top end of a 250 that I find somewhat limiting . Otherwise the Helix's is perfect for touring in my opinion.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

BeefSupreme wrote:Being as i'm biased to my Burgman 400... why not a Burgman 200? 2.8 gallon tank, ABS, just about the same amount of storage as the 400/650s. http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20L ... aspx#Specs
Why not? Because it is butt ugly, and at that price point it should do more.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

KrispyKreme wrote:
BeefSupreme wrote:Being as i'm biased to my Burgman 400... why not a Burgman 200? 2.8 gallon tank, ABS, just about the same amount of storage as the 400/650s. http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20L ... aspx#Specs
Why not? Because it is butt ugly, and at that price point it should do more.
The Burgman 400 does a LOT for the price. What more would you want? :)

I won't comment on the aesthetics of the Burgman, but it's pretty easy to find a good used Burgman 400 for a good price because so many of them were sold.

In comparison, a couple of weeks ago I almost bought a TMAX500... That's a nice maxi scoot...! but they cost at least a thousand to $1500 more than a Burgman 400, offer quite a bit less storage, a less comfortable and taller seat, a less convenient motorcycle-style mount/dismount, poorer gas milage, poorer range, and they're heavier. The Burgman 400, definitely offers more in terms of touring ability. I'm looking for a TMAX because I'm willing to sacrifice storage, easy of moving around by foot, frequency and number of gas stops and initial purchase price for a more exhilerating ride and sportier looks, but strictly speaking the Burgman 400 is an all around better scooter for touring.
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
Syd

Post by Syd »

peabody99 wrote:Bill I wish in yours and and my life time Genuine would put out the cruiser, it would be perfect for us! As far as the bv350, Its a wonderful bike but like other piaggios it is tall and top heavy.
Agree wholeheartedly on both statements (especially the first!). The BV350 is listed at 395 lbs. It's pretty heavy.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

peabody99 wrote:Well skipper already had a helix, maybe back to the best :)? Bill I wish in yours and and my life time Genuine would put out the cruiser, it would be perfect for us! As far as the bv350, Its a wonderful bike but like other piaggios it is tall and top heavy. I'm an experienced rider and am not comfortable on one. Maybe check out a honda forza? Neck and neck with a helix it does better maybe because of the FI. Not too heavy or tall. Really for touring (with 9 days on the road on my recent trip) for me at least-the big issue is comfort, ability to jump on freeway for a little if needed, and room to store or bungee things. Fuel capacity is nice, but chances are you might want to stretch your legs every 150-175 miles or so, and if not, strap a gas can on. That's just me. The helix was great for days on the road. Really it's the top end of a 250 that I find somewhat limiting . Otherwise the Helix's is perfect for touring in my opinion.
I'm leaning more and more in that direction - the Helix that is. Yes, I had an '87 and sold it over a year ago as I had some issues with my left leg which is the leg you have to put your weight on when coming to a stop. The Helix's rear brake is controlled by a foot pedal on the right front floor board (a rather archaic design by today's standards) so when I was stopping on even a slight uphill slope, I held the scooter with my right foot on the brake pedal and my left hand on the left handlebar brake which meant I had to put a lot of pressure on my left leg on the ground to keep the scooter upright. Those left leg issues seem to be behind me now so I'm thinking I should give a Helix another try. I did like that low profile seat and I had a Utopia backrest on it which made for an even more comfortable ride. I looked at an '06 in near mint condition on a dealer's lot several weeks ago and it was very tempting. Asking price was $2,999 but the sales lady assured me that was negotiable. Should I go back and make an offer or would I be better off with a FI Honda Forza at close to double the price? I've always liked the Helix's funky look but I'm sure the Forza, even with its boring cookie-cutter look, is a better, more reliable product. So, what do you all think?

Bill in Seattle
'09 150 Blackjack
'12 170i Italia :?
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

If you pursue the Forza, make sure that you get to sit on one first. While it may look like a next-generation Helix, there's a slight but noticeable difference in the legroom if you ride with your feet on the slanted portion of the floorboards (and have long legs) as I do. It seems like it's an inch or so closer to the seat than the Helix, and I found it to be slightly cramped. If you ride with your feet on the flats - no difference at all.

If you go with a Helix, you can check out Slonaker's Honda Helix Board - there are some threads on there about converting from a foot brake to a left hander.

For my part, I prefer carburetors as they're easier to work on and give you something convenient to throw across the garage when the Helix is having one of its rare hissy-fit days. :D
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

charlie55 wrote:If you pursue the Forza, make sure that you get to sit on one first. While it may look like a next-generation Helix, there's a slight but noticeable difference in the legroom if you ride with your feet on the slanted portion of the floorboards (and have long legs) as I do. It seems like it's an inch or so closer to the seat than the Helix, and I found it to be slightly cramped. If you ride with your feet on the flats - no difference at all.

If you go with a Helix, you can check out Slonaker's Honda Helix Board - there are some threads on there about converting from a foot brake to a left hander.

For my part, I prefer carburetors as they're easier to work on and give you something convenient to throw across the garage when the Helix is having one of its rare hissy-fit days. :D
Yep. When I was looking for something bigger I was all hooked on the Forza till I sat on it. Same thing with the Kymco maxi scoots, ergonomics are not made for anyone over 5'9".