Aprilia Sport City 250 - Good Touring Scooter?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skipper20

Aprilia Sport City 250 - Good Touring Scooter?

Post by skipper20 »

I may not go the Honda Helix 250 route after all. I stumbled across a nice, clean '08 Sport City 250i yesterday. Asking price $2,950. Fuel injection and just over 4,000 miles with medium height windshield and Aprilia top case. I understand fuel tank holds about 2.4 US gallons.
Seems like it would make a nice touring scooter. Anybody have any experience, good or bad, with these Aprilias?

Bill in Seattle
'09 150 Blackjack
'12 170i Italia
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Talk to "cdwise" over at ModernVespa. She ran one in cannonball so I would imagine it is fine for touring. That aside I REALLY like the styling. And the engine is the same as the GTS250. Good luck! Maybe you can get them to come down on the price a little.
Christophers

Re: Aprilia Sport City 250 - Good Touring Scooter?

Post by Christophers »

skipper20 wrote: Seems like it would make a nice touring scooter. Anybody have any experience, good or bad, with these Aprilias?
Tall seat (32") = taller than BV350.
Big wheels = no storage.

FWIW:
http://motorcycles.about.com/od/newmoto ... lia250.htm
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Christophers wrote:
skipper20 wrote: Seems like it would make a nice touring scooter. Anybody have any experience, good or bad, with these Aprilias?
Big wheels = no storage.

FWIW:
Bags on the sides. Where you see a fault, I see promise.

Let not what has rocked you continue to rock.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

KrispyKreme wrote:
Christophers wrote:
Big wheels = no storage.

FWIW:
Bags on the sides. Where you see a fault, I see promise.

Let not what has rocked you continue to rock.
LOL :D
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

Two guys rode SC 250s from Kansas City to Oklahoma City last year for our scooter rally. Great scooter.

I wish I had gotten one every once in a while when I'm doing 55 on my SC 125 and it just doesn't have much more to give. With 14" wheels it feels like it wants to go faster. I think the 250 would be all the scooter most people would ever need.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I have the SC 300 and I use it for longer distance riding (100-250 miles per day). It does the job quite nicely in my opinion. The 250 and 300 SC are very similar as are the two versions of the Quasar engine. I have a top case so storage is not an issue. I use a mid-height windscreen and sheepskin seat pad to round out my additions to the bike.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Dooglas wrote:I have the SC 300 and I use it for longer distance riding (100-250 miles per day). It does the job quite nicely in my opinion. The 250 and 300 SC are very similar as are the two versions of the Quasar engine. I have a top case so storage is not an issue. I use a mid-height windscreen and sheepskin seat pad to round out my additions to the bike.
Thanks for your comments and thanks also to the rest of you who commented. I went ahead and did the deal - my '09 Scarabeo 200 w/2500 miles plus $500 cash for his '08 Sport City 250 with 4,000 miles. And, yes, the Sport City is a bit tall in the saddle compared to the Honda Helix that I had been looking at but the economics of the trade were just to good to pass up. Now I've got the road maps out ready to do a bit of fall touring around the Puget Sound country. Next year, the WA and OR coast! Thanks again,

Bill in Seattle
'09 150 Blackjack
'12 170i Italia
'09 250i Aprilia Sport City :)
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

skipper20 wrote: Now I've got the road maps out ready to do a bit of fall touring around the Puget Sound country. Next year, the WA and OR coast! Thanks again,
Should be fun. The Washington ferries are particularly scooter friendly. The US 101 loop around the Olympic Peninsula is a good ride as well.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Sounds like a decent enough deal. A few friends here that have them seem to be fond of them.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

DO you still have your Helix Skully? :)
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

skipper20 wrote:And, yes, the Sport City is a bit tall in the saddle compared to the Honda Helix that I had been looking at...
Anything is a bit "tall in the saddle" compared to a Honda Helix. :wink: (except a Yamaha Morphous)
skully93

Post by skully93 »

peabody99 wrote:DO you still have your Helix Skully? :)
I sure do! It hasn't seen as much use as I would like this year due to time and a pesky rear tire leak.
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

Fingers crossed, I will be the new owner of an '09 SportCity 250 by Monday/Tuesday coming up. 1 owner, garage kept, only 1700 on the odo, Puig windshield, Aprillia topcase, sidestand.

:+!: :+!: :+!: :goofy:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain