It's a Riot!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ravenlore

It's a Riot!

Post by ravenlore »

http://www.genuinescooters.com/riot.html

I like that matte silver.

(looks to me like it's just a silver Psycho, but that's OK.)
bluebessie

Post by bluebessie »

I want those mirrors!
Last edited by bluebessie on Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I like that it's not fuel injected (kickstarter!) but I'm not crazy about the color.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
TVB

Post by TVB »

P.S. I am not a mod. ;)
Last edited by TVB on Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Those mirrors look like the old Rattler mirrors.
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
snoozy

Post by snoozy »

I try to avoid asphalt on my body panels...
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

TVB wrote:Image
Yes.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Looks like a "Nismo" edition of a Buddy. I would like to have the 170i motor to go with the better brakes and suspension, but its a nice looking scoot.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

bluebessie wrote:I want those mirrors!
Order some Yamaha C3 mirrors. Looks exactly the same.

8)
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
caffeine65

Post by caffeine65 »

The name "Riot" is genius. Kudos to Genuine for that. Since I know the Buddy's a good bike (thanks to you guys), if I were in the market for a new scooter, the name and paint-scheme of the Riot would have me sold.

I love the logo too. Can I just say though, I hate hate hate the promotional video! Everything about it is the exact opposite of the word "riot". C'mon Genuine! RIOT!!!
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

caffeine65 wrote:The name "Riot" is genius. Kudos to Genuine for that. Since I know the Buddy's a good bike (thanks to you guys), if I were in the market for a new scooter, the name and paint-scheme of the Riot would have me sold.

I love the logo too. Can I just say though, I hate hate hate the promotional video! Everything about it is the exact opposite of the word "riot". C'mon Genuine! RIOT!!!

"Riot" and "Hooligan" sound like they'd have a fantastic time together, don't they?
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

I heard that they'd floated the idea of calling it the "Genuine P.I.T.A.", but they dropped it when it was determined that they'd have to pay my mother-in-law royalties for use of the name.
caffeine65

Post by caffeine65 »

ravenlore wrote:"Riot" and "Hooligan" sound like they'd have a fantastic time together, don't they?
Now that I think about it, Hooligan, Roughhouse, Blur, Riot, Psycho, Blackjack, etc are all pretty brilliant and very iconic-sounding. Big hat tip to whomever's in charge of Genuine Scooter Co nomenclature.
TVB

Post by TVB »

caffeine65 wrote:Now that I think about it, Hooligan, Roughhouse, Blur, Riot, Psycho, Blackjack, etc are all pretty brilliant and very iconic-sounding. Big hat tip to whomever's in charge of Genuine Scooter Co nomenclature.
On the other hand ... Buddy. :)
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

TVB wrote:
caffeine65 wrote:Now that I think about it, Hooligan, Roughhouse, Blur, Riot, Psycho, Blackjack, etc are all pretty brilliant and very iconic-sounding. Big hat tip to whomever's in charge of Genuine Scooter Co nomenclature.
On the other hand ... Buddy. :)

Still better than Bu Bu... :P
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Sad part is, nobody here knew this model was coming out.

If someone had known, they missed a great opportunity to quote some Kaiser Chiefs:

I Predict A Riot... :lol:

Joking aside, it looks sharp. Almost wish they'd offered that color on a Hooligan too.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

wheelbender6 wrote:Looks like a "Nismo" edition of a Buddy. I would like to have the 170i motor to go with the better brakes and suspension, but its a nice looking scoot.
I'd slap a kit on it!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

wheelbender6 wrote:Looks like a "Nismo" edition of a Buddy. I would like to have the 170i motor to go with the better brakes and suspension, but its a nice looking scoot.

I'm with you on that. Genuine is probably trying to keep the price point low(er).
SF Pamplona

Post by SF Pamplona »

KrispyKreme wrote:

I'm with you on that. Genuine is probably trying to keep the price point low(er).
I have been considering going Vespa next year with a 250 or 300cc model just because I want something a little more significant for longer trips. Honestly, I wish Genuine offered more in that genre.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

SF Pamplona wrote:
KrispyKreme wrote:

I have been considering going Vespa next year with a 250 or 300cc model just because I want something a little more significant for longer trips. Honestly, I wish Genuine offered more in that genre.
Even the new guy wants the elusive Genuine cruiser. :rofl:
SF Pamplona

Post by SF Pamplona »

KrispyKreme wrote:
SF Pamplona wrote:
KrispyKreme wrote:
Even the new guy wants the elusive Genuine cruiser. :rofl:
That should tell you something... get it together Genuine!
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

It's complicated SF. :)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: It's a Riot!

Post by jrsjr »

ravenlore wrote:I like that matte silver.
I like the specs:
  • Sport Tuned Suspensions: upgraded front fork springs on the 125 and an adjustable rear sport shock on both models
  • Upgraded Front Disc Brakes: custom front wave rotor, high performance braided steel front brake lines and a red sport caliper
  • A Blackout Kit: wheels, bezels and rear grab rail
  • Sport Brake Levers and Hand Grips
  • Custom Sport Mirrors
  • Low Profile Seat
The upgraded suspension and braided steel front brake lines sound like a great idea plus all the blackout parts make it look BA. It's pretty much my favorite Buddy ever. I like the "Riot!" badge, too. All it needs now is a proper loud exhaust. :twisted:
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

charlie55 wrote:I heard that they'd floated the idea of calling it the "Genuine P.I.T.A.", but they dropped it when it was determined that they'd have to pay my mother-in-law royalties for use of the name.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Re: It's a Riot!

Post by BuddyRaton »

jrsjr wrote: All it needs now is a proper loud exhaust. :twisted:
And as part of a 161 kit... that would be a hot scooter!:mrgreen:
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

"I have been considering going Vespa next year with a 250 or 300cc model just because I want something a little more significant for longer trips. Honestly, I wish Genuine offered more in that genre."
I think that if Genuine offered a strong 300cc scoot, they could stack up well against the Forza, GTS 300 and Citycom. They still must compete with the small Ninjas and CBRs too. There is a lot of competition in the quarter liter class and it is very tough to compete in price with the small motorcycles. The CB300F lists for only four grand, and it's pretty fast.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
bluebessie

Post by bluebessie »

Whimscootie wrote:
bluebessie wrote:I want those mirrors!
Order some Yamaha C3 mirrors. Looks exactly the same.

8)
Already been looking for those at a decent price but so far not luck.

Though I wonder if these would work...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/45 ... al-mirrors

I admittedly really dislike the round ones in both style and how ineffective they are.
Last edited by bluebessie on Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
SF Pamplona

Post by SF Pamplona »

wheelbender6 wrote:"I have been considering going Vespa next year with a 250 or 300cc model just because I want something a little more significant for longer trips. Honestly, I wish Genuine offered more in that genre."
I think that if Genuine offered a strong 300cc scoot, they could stack up well against the Forza, GTS 300 and Citycom. They still must compete with the small Ninjas and CBRs too. There is a lot of competition in the quarter liter class and it is very tough to compete in price with the small motorcycles. The CB300F lists for only four grand, and it's pretty fast.
I understand the business angle well. These are niche markets, and Genuine has presented products which fulfill specific needs. That said, some people are brand loyal, or the least, would prefer to be brand loyal. As long as they weren't taking a loss (and I know that's no guarantee either), it would be worth if for Genuine. As many offerings as there are in the 300cc category, an offering from Genuine would still only be apples to apples when comparing to Vespa. A stylish scooter that's more highway friendly. The other competitors are still fruit but not apples.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

SF Pamplona wrote:
wheelbender6 wrote:"I have been considering going Vespa next year with a 250 or 300cc model just because I want something a little more significant for longer trips. Honestly, I wish Genuine offered more in that genre."
I understand the business angle well. These are niche markets, and Genuine has presented products which fulfill specific needs. That said, some people are brand loyal, or the least, would prefer to be brand loyal. As long as they weren't taking a loss (and I know that's no guarantee either), it would be worth if for Genuine. As many offerings as there are in the 300cc category, an offering from Genuine would still only be apples to apples when comparing to Vespa. A stylish scooter that's more highway friendly. The other competitors are still fruit but not apples.

PGO does not make a bike like that. There is that.

Change gears, go to another manufacturer such as Sym or Kymco to build it. They already have a bike in that class available in the US. Why would they create competition?

It is not easy.
AF1 Racing
Dealer

Post by AF1 Racing »

we got our Riots already shipped to us as of this morning....we have one 50cc and one 125cc coming to check them out.
bluebessie

Post by bluebessie »

I just saw a 125 in person today at my dealer. I was dropping my scooter off for an oil change/tune up and the delivery guy showed up.

It is sooo cool in person. I was thrilled to have been there for the unboxing of it. The matter silver is even nicer in person and the over all look is awesome.

If I didn't love my Brit Blue 170i so much, I'd be all over this one!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

AF1 Racing wrote:we got our Riots already shipped to us as of this morning....we have one 50cc and one 125cc coming to check them out.
Give us that report as soon as you can!
www.teamscootertrash.com

az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

My local dealer had a 125cc Riot in the showroom floor yesterday. Looks pretty sharp in person! Handgrips and brake levers came from the Blur, the seat has RIOT stamped on the back and the decals are cool, albeit small.

It needs white-letter tires, or maybe yellow letters for bonus toughness.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
bluebessie

Post by bluebessie »

I kind of liked the tires as they were. I did like the mirrors and how they kind of just blended in with it all. Of course I just replaced my round with Yamaha C3 mirror so I'm a bit biased towards the look.

We weren't quite as keen on the RIOT badge on the front. The coloring seemed odd to me. I would've liked it more if it had been yellow, but I appreciate the small size of it.

Both my dad (who picked me up after I dropped my scooter off) and I liked the look and thought it would be one sweet ride.
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

az_slynch wrote:My local dealer had a 125cc Riot in the showroom floor yesterday. Looks pretty sharp in person! Handgrips and brake levers came from the Blur, the seat has RIOT stamped on the back and the decals are cool, albeit small.

It needs white-letter tires, or maybe yellow letters for bonus toughness.
You over looked the USB plug that replaces the previous 12v outlet.. ;)

it also comes with wave disk brakes, full black out kit, steel breaded brake line in the front, upgraded rear shock.
Pretty cool looking bike and the matte gray is actually metallic too!
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

TVB

Post by TVB »

Alexbv200 wrote:You over looked the USB plug that replaces the previous 12v outlet.. ;)
Hmmm... that's very 21st-century, but I'd kinda prefer they left this as ye olde standard 12V socket. That gives the flexibility of using the port for charging USB-cabled phones and such, connecting a Battery Tender, powering other 12V devices, and the inevitable replacement of USB with some other standard.
bluebessie

Post by bluebessie »

TVB wrote:
Alexbv200 wrote:You over looked the USB plug that replaces the previous 12v outlet.. ;)
Hmmm... that's very 21st-century, but I'd kinda prefer they left this as ye olde standard 12V socket. That gives the flexibility of using the port for charging USB-cabled phones and such, connecting a Battery Tender, powering other 12V devices, and the inevitable replacement of USB with some other standard.
I didn't notice that when I was looking at the Riot (we were unboxing and drooling at the same time) but I am like you, I like the 12v socket for the tendering. We still have a lot of car chargers so it isn't worth it for me to have the USB direct either.