I added the wrong oil to my 2stroke engine

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

alvidb

I added the wrong oil to my 2stroke engine

Post by alvidb »

I have a Buddy Little International 50cc 2 stroke engine, and by mistake I added 85W-140 oil to the fuel tank instead of 2 stroke oil. Would this damage the engine? Do I need to drain the fuel tank and how? Or, can I just run the engine, and make sure next time I add the right oil?

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Syd

Post by Syd »

I'm not a 2-stroke mechanic, but I would suggest you fully drain the oil tank before you run the engine (any more).
The majority is always sane - Nessus
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

The wrong oil is better than no oil BUT...drain it out of the oil tank as soon as possible and replace with a good 2T oil for injection. Your fuel should be fine.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

If the gear oil got added to the fuel tank, yeah, it's good (and easy) to siphon it out as best you can and refill with fresh gas. It may smoke a little after starting.

Buddy Guys: if the gear oil has been added to the oil reservoir, that's a bit harder, yes? Is there a drain for that?
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
TVB

Post by TVB »

You're adding oil to the fuel tank? Not the oil reservoir next to where you put the fuel? The Buddy 50 is designed with separate fuel and oil tanks, so you don't have to mix it yourself: the gas tank holds a gallon of gas, and the oil tank holds a quart of oil, which will last for several gas fill-ups.

There's probably a way to drain it with some disassembly, but siphoning is probably the simpler way to drain either one. Stick a length of plastic tubing all the way down to the bottom of the tank, suck on the other end enough to fill both the section of tube inside the bike and a greater length of the tube outside of the bike (if the tube is long enough you don't have to suck it all the way to your mouth), then hold that end down at ground level, in a pan or some other container to catch it. I wouldn't worry about getting all of it, but get enough out so that what's left will get heavily diluted when you refill.

If you're talking about a few ounces of oil already mixed in with a gallon of gas, I would save that gas and put it in my car (along with another 9 gallons) next time I needed a fill-up. Note, however, that 1) I know very little about the specifics of internal combustion engines, and 2) don't give a damn about my car, which I'll be selling for scrap when it dies. So this may not be good advice. :) But I figure a few ounces diluted in a 10-gallon tank aren't going to be a problem.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

TVB wrote:You're adding oil to the fuel tank? Not the oil reservoir next to where you put the fuel? The Buddy 50 is designed with separate fuel and oil tanks, so you don't have to mix it yourself: the gas tank holds a gallon of gas, and the oil tank holds a quart of oil, which will last for several gas fill-ups.

There's probably a way to drain it with some disassembly, but siphoning is probably the simpler way to drain either one. Stick a length of plastic tubing all the way down to the bottom of the tank, suck on the other end enough to fill both the section of tube inside the bike and a greater length of the tube outside of the bike (if the tube is long enough you don't have to suck it all the way to your mouth), then hold that end down at ground level, in a pan or some other container to catch it. I wouldn't worry about getting all of it, but get enough out so that what's left will get heavily diluted when you refill.

If you're talking about a few ounces of oil already mixed in with a gallon of gas, I would save that gas and put it in my car (along with another 9 gallons) next time I needed a fill-up. Note, however, that 1) I know very little about the specifics of internal combustion engines, and 2) don't give a damn about my car, which I'll be selling for scrap when it dies. So this may not be good advice. :) But I figure a few ounces diluted in a 10-gallon tank aren't going to be a problem.
I've had many cars with separate oil and gas that managed to mix them very well in the engine. (Even though they were all 4-strokers) :wink:

Years ago, the standard answer as to how to clean up an oil spill in the ocean was to simply dump in a barge full of Buicks.
rentonhighlander

Post by rentonhighlander »

Don't run the bike and drain the gas tank. I would not recommend using 30w for your bike but that's what 2T's used to run on. There should be no damage for this mistake and even if you did run it a bit you're probably ok.

When finished add 2T oil to your "oil tank".
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

alvidb wrote:I have a Buddy Little International 50cc 2 stroke engine, and by mistake I added 85W-140 oil to the fuel tank instead of 2 stroke oil.
rentonhighlander wrote: I would not recommend using 30w for your bike but that's what 2T's used to run on.
First, read the post.
rentonhighlander

Post by rentonhighlander »

I did read it and caught the reference to the use of gear oil. I'll assume you're not trying to be a smart ass.
My point is if a 2T can run on 30W fine then running the some gear oil momentarily should not be the end of the world. Just trying to give the original poster some peace of mind. Maybe you can contribute something.
Benzo Mike

Post by Benzo Mike »

OP is all sorts of lost on this issue. The scooter is oil injected, no reason on earth to premix (unless the oil injection pump is shot). And certainly way off the mark dumping gear oil into the fuel tank, way off.

A good 2-stroke oil in the oil tank, only. Keep it full. Gasoline in the fuel tank, only.

If the scoot were mine, I would drain the fuel tank. It's very easy to do. Or siphon it out. Gear oil will not lubricate properly, WAAAAY too thick. I would not want to burn a tank of gear oil, either. A lot of weird anti-shear additives, who knows what sort of crap it's ultimately going to leave behind?

Sure, you can just chill and run that tank out. The motor is going to be way (at least 2x) over-oiled (injection plus premix). So it damn sure won't seize or anything. You very well might foul a plug. You're going to be spewing a lot of smoke. And let's not discount the depression in octane from all of that oil in the fuel, if the OP tanked up on 87, this might be enough to get it pinging. And so on.

1) Drain or siphon out the tank.
2) Make sure the oil tank is topped up with proper 2-stroke oil.
3) Fuel up with 93 octane. Sure, it doesn't need it. But for the extra 30 cents per tank it's worth the detonation protection. 30 cents...
4) Read the owner's manual. Digest and understand it.
5) Read the owner's manual again.
New signature - you don't care what else I have, and I don't care to tell you about it. I have a 2009 Buddy Italia, let's leave it at that.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

TVB wrote: There's probably a way to drain it with some disassembly, but siphoning is probably the simpler way to drain either one. Stick a length of plastic tubing all the way down to the bottom of the tank, suck on the other end enough to fill both the section of tube inside the bike and a greater length of the tube outside of the bike (if the tube is long enough you don't have to suck it all the way to your mouth), then hold that end down at ground level, in a pan or some other container to catch it. I wouldn't worry about getting all of it, but get enough out so that what's left will get heavily diluted when you refill.
Or go to Harbor Freight Tools and buy their siphoner. Much easier (and healthier) than putting a tube in your mouth and sucking on it.

Bill in Seattle
'09 150 Blackjack
'12 170i Italia
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

skipper20 wrote:
TVB wrote: There's probably a way to drain it with some disassembly, but siphoning is probably the simpler way to drain either one. Stick a length of plastic tubing all the way down to the bottom of the tank, suck on the other end enough to fill both the section of tube inside the bike and a greater length of the tube outside of the bike (if the tube is long enough you don't have to suck it all the way to your mouth), then hold that end down at ground level, in a pan or some other container to catch it. I wouldn't worry about getting all of it, but get enough out so that what's left will get heavily diluted when you refill.
Or go to Harbor Freight Tools and buy their siphoner. Much easier (and healthier) than putting a tube in your mouth and sucking on it.

Bill in Seattle
'09 150 Blackjack
'12 170i Italia
And, they're on sale! $6 for the deluxe and $4 for the standard. Think how much healthier your lungs will be. And, no, I do not own stock in Harbor Freight Tools nor do any of my relatives or myself work there.

Bill in Seattle
TVB

Post by TVB »

skipper20 wrote:Or go to Harbor Freight Tools and buy their siphoner. Much easier (and healthier) than putting a tube in your mouth and sucking on it.
I think you have a vastly exaggerated sense of both the difficulty and the health risk of using a plain old length of tubing.
Benzo Mike

Post by Benzo Mike »

Only a card-carrying moron would EVER start a siphon by sucking on a tube of gasoline. Really, people?

Method - fish tube, as much of it as possible, into the fuel tank, submerged. Now the majority of the tube will be full of gas. Pinch off the end of the tube that is in your hand. Withdraw as much of the tube as possible/necessary from the fuel tank. Notice it is mostly full of gasoline. drop the end of the tube down as low as possible/necessary, stop pinching end, watch fuel flow.

Amazing. Or you can aspirate some gasoline into your lungs (or swallow some) and have some happy happy fun time at the ER.
New signature - you don't care what else I have, and I don't care to tell you about it. I have a 2009 Buddy Italia, let's leave it at that.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Benzo Mike wrote:Only a card-carrying moron would EVER start a siphon by sucking on a tube of gasoline. Really, people?

Method - fish tube, as much of it as possible, into the fuel tank, submerged. Now the majority of the tube will be full of gas. Pinch off the end of the tube that is in your hand. Withdraw as much of the tube as possible/necessary from the fuel tank. Notice it is mostly full of gasoline. drop the end of the tube down as low as possible/necessary, stop pinching end, watch fuel flow.

Amazing. Or you can aspirate some gasoline into your lungs (or swallow some) and have some happy happy fun time at the ER.
Dude...really? :? If you have to start out a post with calling people names, then you need to do some more thinking before you post. Be nice or leave. Thanks.
ModBud #442
Benzo Mike

Post by Benzo Mike »

I did not call <anyone> a "name", simply commentary. Information and implied warnings re:siphoning are true, and to be heeded. And bluntly presented, with no tact or sensitivity to intended audience offered.

Placing a tube into a container of gasoline, placing the end of the tube into one's mouth, and sucking on said tube is Darwinism, really, if you think about it.

Not trying to start an argument or stir the proverbial pot. More just trying to strongly dissuade any and all from ever doing something completely unnecessary with potentially bad (fatal in the extreme case) consequences.

And rather than just flinging poo, I also offered (in detail) an alternative solution.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Mike, first change the avatar. Really weird bro.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Says the man with the angry Black Cat.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Another one of these threads where the OP asked a significant question of the forum and then evidently disappeared. So far, it is unclear whether he put gear oil in his oil reservoir or his fuel tank (he said fuel tank, but it remains uncertain why he would do that with a Buddy 50). Either way, most members advised removing the contaminated gas or oil to the degree possible and replacing with fresh. I am in that camp as well. I don't believe that burning a tank of 85-90 gear oil in your engine is a good idea.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Benzo Mike wrote:I did not call <anyone> a "name", simply commentary.
Yeah, sure... whatever it takes to face yourself in the mirror.

Seems to be part of a general trend of abrasiveness around here.