Replacement Tires

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

climbguy

Replacement Tires

Post by climbguy »

I am looking at getting new tires for my 170i, I heard good things about the Michelin S1. Does anyone have them on their scoot, if so what do you think of them?
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I replaced my stock tires with S1s. They feel pretty good, though I don't have any objective measurements to give you. My stock tires were getting pretty worn, so a fresh set of treads was a big help, especially in cornering and in damp conditions.

Lots of folks are using the S1. There's another nearby thread about sizing, whether or not you can up-size to a wider tire from the stock 3.5x10 / 100/90.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

I went to the S1 from the Heidenau K61. Still got a K61 in the front.

The K61 handled well in dry and wet, but I found it to give a fairly hard ride. The S1 feels more compliant, yet still seems to handle well in both wet and dry conditions, and feels secure in turns. I plan to stay with S1"s at the next tire change.

It also has a fairly substantial and"beefy" appearance. If one can use "beefy" to describe a 100-90/10 tire!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Good experiences with the Continental Zippy 1.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Get the round ones.

And use the Search tool.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Benzo Mike

Post by Benzo Mike »

It's amazing what you can do, with some skill, even on the crappy stock (hard plastic, like a Big Wheel) ties. That tiny amount of weight on a decent contact patch and the low roll axis allows you to bend the laws of physics, if you dare. Crap suspension and flexy frame are the only limitations. I have shimmed up centerstand for clearance.

Needless to say, looking forward to getting some premium rubber on it.
New signature - you don't care what else I have, and I don't care to tell you about it. I have a 2009 Buddy Italia, let's leave it at that.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Heidenau K61
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I just bought some Heidenau K61s. I have had them before and I love them.

This time I got bigger tires for my Buddy (100/90 for the front and 130/90 for the back), thinking it would give me a little better stability since I ride on State Highways quite a bit. It does help but it also makes me "feel" every bump in the road a little more so the ride seems rougher.

Of course, keep in mind that Oklahoma roads are notoriously bad; if you have nicer roads, bigger tires won't be an issue.

Tangent aside, I love the Heidenaus and heartily endorse them.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
climbguy

Post by climbguy »

if i go with the S1, what size should I order?

I looked on the michelin site and didn't see buddy in their search database
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

To make things easy, look at the size on the stock tires and get that size. Easy!
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

climbguy wrote:if i go with the S1, what size should I order?

I looked on the michelin site and didn't see buddy in their search database
Stock would be 100/90-10. Although people have had success with upsizing. Please note PeteH's post above about the thread.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Again, using the search...

... you can find info like this. Scroll down a little and you'll see some pics of the 130/70 mounted on a stock Buddy 150. The cornering is really excellent with that tire.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.