[nsr] Durn You, Kawasaki. How Could You?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

[nsr] Durn You, Kawasaki. How Could You?

Post by jrsjr »

Meet the "Vulcan S," a gorgeous, comfy, fast bike you can afford. Durn you, Kawasaki...

Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Brilliant!
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Sweet. I've always been a sucker for that Kawasaki green.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I haven't owned a bike in Kawasaki green since the (very) early 80s, but did you read about the adjustable ergos on this bike??? They have three different seats, including a short reach one, a mid position one, and an extended reach seat for big folks like me. Plus, the footpegs are adjustable an inch each way from the mid position. Finally, some forward thinking from Kawasaki. Credit where it's due. Plus it's beautiful and the motor is the Ninja 650 motor retuned for lower end power. Did I mention the beautiful lines?
caffeine65

Post by caffeine65 »

Pretty sweet! I really like the overall design.

Interesting they went with such a small engine for a power cruiser, but it can probably open a serious can of whoop ass regardless.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

KrispyKreme wrote:Sweet. I've always been a sucker for that Kawasaki green.
Same!

Other than the DCT, it's competing in the same space as the Honda CTX. Nice beginner or commuter bike.

Good thing I'm broke :P
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

KrispyKreme wrote:Sweet. I've always been a sucker for that Kawasaki green.
Here you go:
Attachments
Kawasaki.jpg
Kawasaki.jpg (9.11 KiB) Viewed 2930 times
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Did I mention that it can be had with ABS? For $7399. Under 500 lbs. With ABS?!? Durn you, Kawasaki. Durn you to heck! :twisted:
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Wow. I like that. A lot. A friend of mine has a Versys and he loves it. Unfortunately that bike is a bit too tall for me. This one has a lower seat than a Buddy!

Generally not a fan of cruisers but this is nice.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

jmazza wrote:Wow. I like that. A lot. A friend of mine has a Versys and he loves it. Unfortunately that bike is a bit too tall for me. This one has a lower seat than a Buddy!

Generally not a fan of cruisers but this is nice.
The fact that it has adjustabe ergos right off the showroom floor makes me hope that aftermarket pieces like seats and footpegs will become available. There is already a pretty good sized aftermarket industry that serves a different Kawasaki, the KLR650. I'm hopeful that same ecosystem will help develop and distribute aftermarket parts for this bike. I'm more optimistic about Kawasaki than I have been since the beginning of The Great Recession. Check it out, Kawasaki have put a stone beautiful bike out there while keeping the price down by repurposing a motor whose costs they have long-ago amortized. A beautiful Kawasaki FFS? With ABS and adjustable ergos? For $7399?!? It's what we all said they should make, durnit! If it doesn't sell, then shame on us. :oops:
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I don't own any motorcycles but I love the new Vulcan S. I think the single, laid down rear shock from the 650 Ninja is a clever addition. The old Vulcan 500 looked too much like a Honda Rebel.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Lv98o7IAgrk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Riding is riding
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

well here is a real good look. so good it might make OP faint in anticipation :P

i must say i am not a cruiser guy, but this bike and the Bolt C spec is giving me pause for thought. this Vulcan would seem to be everything this vid describes. it just seems a well done bike, and like the Honda CTX does something new with a cruiser motorcycle. and thats not easy

i like a standard riding position. and with the adjustable ergos of this bike and the design of the Bolt C spec both would seem to come close to a compromise i could perhaps live with

hey, maybe i am a cruiser guy!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TO9suT9kxAk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Riding is riding
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Riding is riding
JOHNHOF

Post by JOHNHOF »

I like that more and various types of mid-size motorcycles are coming out. A few more mid size motorcycles in the inexpensive price range are the Honda NC700, Harley Davidson Street 500 and Street 750, Star Bolt and any Royal Enfield. They are all different but alike in they offer fun motorcycles at a reasonable price

The Kawasaki I miss is the W650 from 99 to 07 (USA). In 2007 it had a MSRP $6,499. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_W650.

When I started riding on the streets in the 70's a 350 or 450 were mid-size and a 750 was a cruiser. I miss a LTW bike and am glad to see them coming back in style.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

This is the first Kawa that I had and I miss it dearly. A '83 KX125 I was only about 10y/o and I grew into it. It was a fun ride. I got busted up a few times but I learned to ride because of it. The pic is of an '84 but no big difference.
Attachments
bikepics-2436035-800.jpg
bikepics-2436035-800.jpg (128.83 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
JOHNHOF

Nice 125

Post by JOHNHOF »

Awesome KX125 especially for a ten year old. I bet you have some great memories with that bike.
In 1975 I bought a 1974 Honda Elsinore MT125, I was 15 years old. I have owned a number of different motorcycles since but I still have the Elsinore and it still runs. It is not worth much but I would not sell it simply because I have had it this long. The Elsinore and the Buddy are what go on the back of the motor home for when we need to run someplace close.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

JOHNHOF wrote:The Kawasaki I miss is the W650 from 99 to 07 (USA). In 2007 it had a MSRP $6,499. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_W650.
You and everybody else! I assume you are aware that the rest of the universe gets the 800cc version of that bike, but not the USA. This owing to the fact that dealers got burned badly on the W650. Everybody said they wanted it, but nobody would pay MSRP for it, that kind of thing. Here's a pic of the W800. Search around and you'll find pix of a factory cafe racer version of the W800 which Kawa better durn well never bring to the USA or my marriage is toast. :shock:

JOHNHOF

Nice Cafe

Post by JOHNHOF »

jrsjr I was not aware of the W650 until about four years ago when I saw the one the owner of Flying Tiger motorcycles owns. I have been a fan ever since.

I have seen the 800 and wondered why it was not available to the USA.

Wow the factory cafe is nice. Thanks for turning me on to that one.

I think a scramble version would be cool.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Nice Cafe

Post by jrsjr »

JOHNHOF wrote:I think a scramble version would be cool.
My favorite version would be any version of that bike that has a street-legal US title. :wink:

P.S. I'm going to have to get a Flying Tigers Motorcycles t-shirt or something. The Flying Tigers are a long story with me. My Dad met Chennault once after WWII. As a kid, I owned stock in Flying Tigers Airlines that was started by ex-FT pilots. That name has a ton of mythical resonance for a lot of folks.
JOHNHOF

Post by JOHNHOF »

I am not sure if they advertise their shirts online but I know they have them and they are usually cool looking. I have one from the shop and two from Halloween rides they sponsored. If the shirts are not online call the shop and ask. Besides they are the local STL dealer of Modern Scooters.
That is cool your dad met one of the flyers. I understand as I have liked the planes since I was a kid. When I was around 10 years old I had a little gas powered P40 with the Flying Tiger paint job.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

(USAF Museum, Dayton, 2008)

I loves me some planes with teeth. Need some for my front fender. :D
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

My father flew for Chennault. But that's all I can say. Most of it is still secret.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

k1dude wrote:My father flew for Chennault. But that's all I can say. Most of it is still secret.
:shock: :shock: :shock: Here's to your dad!