What would you not do on your scooter?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DrScoot

What would you not do on your scooter?

Post by DrScoot »

Hello MB,
I have been riding for about 3 months now and I can say my life is better from it haha. I did change my rear tire today from the advice in this board; however, I should note that I will hopefully not make that mistake again. Those rims are way to small to not have some specialized equipment.

Anyways, I was wondering what conditions are there that you will absolutely not ride? I was riding home the other day and the wind got up to 15mph and I was a bit nervous as to how easily I was moved by it. So that had me thinking what a more experienced rider would do? What would prevent you from riding? Rain? Snow? Ice?
Thanks for the advice, as I am always just trying to stay alive haha!
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Good question. No snow or ice, my friend. Wind? LOL. Some can't handle it. I have been at a 2 o'clock position a few times due to wind. Don't fight it too much and just lean against it. It's like flying a kite. Of course do this only if comfortable.
skipper20

Re: What would you not do on your scooter?

Post by skipper20 »

DrScoot wrote:Hello MB,
I have been riding for about 3 months now and I can say my life is better from it haha. I did change my rear tire today from the advice in this board; however, I should note that I will hopefully not make that mistake again. Those rims are way to small to not have some specialized equipment.

Anyways, I was wondering what conditions are there that you will absolutely not ride? I was riding home the other day and the wind got up to 15mph and I was a bit nervous as to how easily I was moved by it. So that had me thinking what a more experienced rider would do? What would prevent you from riding? Rain? Snow? Ice?
Thanks for the advice, as I am always just trying to stay alive haha!
Snow and ice for sure. Rain? It does rain on occasion here in Seattle so I'll ride in it only if I'm out and I get caught in it and then I'll take those curves real slowwww. :)

Bill in Seattle
'09 150 Blackjack
'12 170i Italia
'08 250ie Aprilia Sport City
Deweybeachbum

Post by Deweybeachbum »

Over here in Delaware we dont have to worry bout the snow too much but ice and rain will make me take my car. In the summer though if it is just lightly drizzling then ill still ride my buddy
TVB

Post by TVB »

Wind scared the shit out of me at first, but I've gotten used to it, developing a feel for how to react to it. The only time I've let wind stop me from riding was crossing the Mackinac Bridge (5-mile suspension bridge) with a 30mph crosswind, and I'd have to ride part-way on a metal grate.

I don't enjoy riding in the rain, and avoid it if I can. A little sprinkle's OK, and I have rain gear that I keep handy if I need it, but the combination of poor visibility and slick pavement makes it stressful, so I don't do it by choice.

I ride as far into winter as I can, but as soon as there's snow or ice in the street, I take the car or the bus instead. If we get a stretch of nice weather during the winter and the roads clear, I'll take the scooter out to stretch its legs. I used to "push" it a bit more, taking my chances on partially-clear roads, but not so much after some incidents of (nearly) losing control and wiping out.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

Wind, rain or snow does not bother me. In my almost 30 years of riding the suckiest experience ever was hail. No place to pull over and the roads were puddling.
MYSCTR

Been Iced Lately?

Post by MYSCTR »

Have not found anything that we can't ride in Texas!

This was last winter caught at work as the ice storm hit - just made it home as the visor became iced over and i could not see through it.
Attachments
ICE ANYONE?
ICE ANYONE?
20131205 Iced II.jpg (81.45 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Thunderstorm with lightning. At least not intentionally.

Got caught in one once and had to seek cover way out on a back road.

Wound up in a church picnic shelter for a bit.

Kind of a freaky ride.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

No snow or ice for me. I will occasionally ride in rain, but prefer not to because other drivers here seem to lose their freaking minds with the slightest dampness on the road.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Hail....!
Got caught in a hail storm once with no shelter close by, wished I could have completely crawled into my helmet.
I will 'draw the line' at snow and ice, have ridden in the rain but don't relish the thought.
I will NOT ride to the mall under any circumstances. Too many 'nut jobs' in the parking lots...!!!
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
DrScoot

Post by DrScoot »

jrstone wrote:No snow or ice for me. I will occasionally ride in rain, but prefer not to because other drivers here seem to lose their freaking minds with the slightest dampness on the road.
I feel you on that one. Although you would think they would be used to it?

I will probably try to push it as far as I can into the winter, but when it starts snowing I will have to relinquish myself from the scooter, of which, the thought makes me sad. It is rather windy today, and I'm going to brave it, but the winds are up to 25+ mph so Ill probably take the back roads to avoid the insane godless wind.