New Honda adventure bike revealed at EICMA. It's automatic!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

k1dude

New Honda adventure bike revealed at EICMA. It's automatic!

Post by k1dude »

It's a true off-road capable, true around-the-world bike (unlike the NC700X DCT which was more road oriented). It has a 1000cc parallel twin matched with their DCT automatic transmission! Offroad experts have always pined for a fully automatic offroad transmission, and now they have one. And even though pricing or a name wasn't revealed, Honda's strategy is to blow away all the LuxoEuro bloated adventure bikes in price and performance.

Even though I'd prefer something in the 450cc to 650cc range, this introduction might be enough to get me to purchase a motorcycle. I suspect they put a 1000 in it simply to compete with the LuxoEuro offerings.

wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Looks like they drove some dirt roads on the way to the show.
A lot of Honda ADV fans were hoping for something around 800cc or smaller.
Kawasaki's new big Versys has a 4cyl, 1000cc engine.
I like the new Husqvarna scrambler.
Not yet in production, but slated to get the KTM Duke 390cc thumper engine.
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ ... cepts.html
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

If a liter bike is more than you want, there is the Honda Crossrunner 800 with the v4, 700x twin and the XL650 thumper.
Last edited by wheelbender6 on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Even an 800 is more than I want. If I had to choose what was being offered in 2015, I'd probably choose the new Honda CB300F, the new KTM 390 Duke, or the KTM 390RC.

Last edited by k1dude on Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Is there anyone in the ADV community salivating for an automatic :?:

Honda leaked the remake of the Africa Twin a while ago. Will it make it to the States? I think yes as right now, Honda has nothing for that market, and that's the market that's selling (and growing).

We ALL want a kick-ass ADV bike with a 450-650cc engine (thumper or twin, although I prefer thumpers) that weighs 300 lbs wet, that's great on the highway and brilliant in the woods. Will Husqvarna be able to do it with the 701? I'll say that sumo they're going to release is beautiful. Geez.

Can't wait to see the baby Duke in person next month at the IMS! You know folks are going to adventurize that thing.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

siobhan wrote:Is there anyone in the ADV community salivating for an automatic :?:
I believe so. Theoretically, dirt bike designers have always recognized the superiority of not having to change gears while riding offroad. The problem was no such bike existed. Until now. KTM has been trying for years to create a true automatic dirt bike. The closest they've been able to come is their Rekluse automatic clutch. Even though it isn't a true automatic, it has been accepted with wild acclaim.

Now Honda has a true automatic! Unfortunately in their attempts to be market relevant at release, I believe they missed the boat. Since Americans demand ever increasing displacement, ADV bikes have bloated to the liter class from their original displacements of 450 to 650cc's. Honda felt they had to introduce the bike in the liter range to be relevant with current offerings from the competition. I personally feel that was a big mistake. Like you, I wish they'd introduced it in a more reasonable displacement range. Unfortunately, the Honda will likely never achieve 300 pounds with their DCT. It's just too heavy. But I could see them hitting the 350 mark.

Perhaps a smaller displacement ADV is in the works at Honda for the future. You'd have thought they would have just used the 670cc engine they put in the NC700X since it already has a good history. But I wonder if it didn't have the torque curve that they needed for true offroading.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

I had to ride a friend's Husaberg with a Rekluse when he crashed into a tree and was taken to hospital. Took some getting used to.

The next big step are the electric bikes. All torque, no shifting, no noise. Ride the powerlines all you want without a neighbor hearing a thing.

I agree that Honda brought out big to compete. Just like Yammy with the big Super Ten. They've sold thousands and thousands of the 660s, yet the US gets only the 1200. If Honda could do it at 350 lbs, that'd be pretty damn good. That Husky 701 sumo is 340 wet!

I woulda thought that with Dakar forcing the use of smaller bikes, the bigger ones might fade away. (A girl can dream, no?) But the vast majority of folks buying large adventure bikes are riding slab. The US and Canada are big. Western Europe is paved.

I'm just happy that Honda is being creative again. The last two years have been very interesting for them. As a Transalp owner, Honda was the shit in the 80's, making bikes people didn't know they needed.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

"Even an 800 is more than I want. If I had to choose what was being offered in 2015, I'd probably choose the new Honda CB300F, the new KTM 390 Duke, or the KTM 390RC. "
The CB300 is pretty hard to resist at $3999. The new naked Ninja 300z will cost about $800 more.