How to Adjust the Throttle Freeplay (for more sensitivity)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

weixcrazei

How to Adjust the Throttle Freeplay (for more sensitivity)

Post by weixcrazei »

Hi guys - quick question. How do I adjust the throttle so that it's more sensitive and has less free play?

I've searched in the forums and in the service manual and it says to adjust the nut on the throttle cable but unsure where that is. It says the freeplay should be 1.5-3.5mm but mine definitely feels like more...coming from a motorcycle, I'd like the throttle to be more sensitive. Where I can adjust this?

Thanks in advance!
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Really easy to do, you might not even need a wrench if you have strong fingers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEB7QJNE_EM
Syd

Post by Syd »

Does the Buddy have nuts? :oops:

Some just have knurled adjusters.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Syd wrote:Does the Buddy have nuts? :oops:
The way my last Buddy 150 ran , I would have to say YES to that! :P
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

You can't make it "more sensitive". I don't feel like explaining physics and geometry this morning.

You can:
1: Ensure that you can open the throttle all the way.
2: Eliminate the free play slack in the line.

In the end, the same amount of twist (in terms of degrees) will elicit the same throttle response.

There's a nut on the tube where the cable connects to the carb. Adjust that to make the tube longer to remove slack. If you overdo it, the throttle won't be able to fully close. You might be able to adjust this without removing the pet carrier.
weixcrazei

Post by weixcrazei »

Thanks guys, really appreciate it!
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

What Jetta said: the only way to make it more 'sensitive' would be to increase the amount of throttle cable pulled for a given amount of grip rotation. It might be possible to futz with the throttle tube and 'shim' the cylindrical/wheel gizmo in the grip assembly, but you'd have to do some surgery.

However, using the adjuster as mentioned above to remove excess slack is a good plan.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I think the keyword here should be "responsive" rather than "sensitive". Other than that, setting the right amount of throttle cable tension is the way to go.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...