Best whitewall tire for the Buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bigmike7801

Best whitewall tire for the Buddy

Post by bigmike7801 »

I was wondering if there was a preferred brand of whitewall tires to use with a buddy?

The buddy I'm going to get I don't think will come with them and I found these at ScooterWorks.com: http://www.scooterworks.com/prima-tire- ... NDlXGTF9pw

I wasn't sure if they are different than what comes with the Buddy or if there are better ones out there.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Mike,
Tires has been an exhaustive subject around here.
Finding the perfect white wall is like looking for hen's teeth.
My '08 Buddy came with Maxxis tires, liked them and they lasted a fair bit, the rear 8000 miles, the front 16000. Sadly they are no longer available.
The Prima tires you site are grippy and feel good in most conditions to me, I'm by far no expert, but however they wear quickly. I think my last two rears only gave me about 4000 miles a piece.
But they look good! (Ahhh... The burdens we bair for fashion.)

Edit to add: The Primas are one of the only two out there I've found the size needed for the Buddy.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

http://www.motorcycletiresmaniac.com/Co ... Tires.html

I've heard good things from these Continentals. That and the Prima are the only choices I know of. As KABarash said, the Maxxis tires that were stock aren't made anymore. FWIW I only got 3000miles out of the rear Maxxis. I would go with the Conti if you have your heart set on a whitewall. The site I linked you to is one I have used and recommend.
bigmike7801

Post by bigmike7801 »

KrispyKreme wrote:http://www.motorcycletiresmaniac.com/Co ... Tires.html

I've heard good things from these Continentals. That and the Prima are the only choices I know of. As KABarash said, the Maxxis tires that were stock aren't made anymore. FWIW I only got 3000miles out of the rear Maxxis. I would go with the Conti if you have your heart set on a whitewall. The site I linked you to is one I have used and recommend.
I do like the look of that tire, but I think I'd prefer to stay tubeless. Less chance of having a blowout and my fat-butt has been known to cause blowouts!
MYSCTR

Re: Best whitewall tire for the Buddy

Post by MYSCTR »

bigmike7801 wrote:The buddy I'm going to get I don't think will come with them and I found these at ScooterWorks.com: http://www.scooterworks.com/prima-tire- ... NDlXGTF9pw
Forget the Prima tires - a SHORT lasting tire that will bankrupt you at $50 a tire especially if you pay to have them installed.

We have ran several pair of the factory original MAXXIS tires with great results. The only way to get these anymore is getting 'take offs' while still brand new.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

MYSCTR wrote:The only way to get these anymore is getting 'take offs' while still brand new.
And a several year old tire is not "brand new" regardless of how little use it has received.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Dooglas wrote:
MYSCTR wrote:The only way to get these anymore is getting 'take offs' while still brand new.
And a several year old tire is not "brand new" regardless of how little use it has received.

I would never ask my dealer to do that. He would probably tell me to piss off. Say goodbye to whitewalls and get a proper tire.

http://www.motorcycletiresmaniac.com/he ... ooter.html
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

bigmike7801 wrote:I do like the look of that tire, but I think I'd prefer to stay tubeless. Less chance of having a blowout and my fat-butt has been known to cause blowouts!
I believe the K62 can be mounted with or without tube, depending on the rims you use. You see that it actually says "tubeless" on the tire.
Attachments
dscf0702_163.jpg
dscf0702_163.jpg (91.64 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
bigmike7801

Post by bigmike7801 »

Dooglas wrote:
bigmike7801 wrote:I do like the look of that tire, but I think I'd prefer to stay tubeless. Less chance of having a blowout and my fat-butt has been known to cause blowouts!
I believe the K62 can be mounted with or without tube, depending on the rims you use. You see that it actually says "tubeless" on the tire.
It looks like they may make 2 different versions of that tire.

10 M/C 59J TT
10 M/C 59J TL

TT = TubeType
TL = TubeLess

What white wall tire comes stock on the Buddy? Is it the Maxxis still? Guess I'll have to take a look the next time I'm at the dealership.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

bigmike7801 wrote:It looks like they may make 2 different versions of that tire.
If they do, I don't know where you would get the one for tubed only application - and you don't want it anyway. The 10" K62 whitewall available from ScooterWest is the version that can be mounted tubeless, or with a tube on split rims.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Dooglas wrote:
bigmike7801 wrote:It looks like they may make 2 different versions of that tire.
If they do, I don't know where you would get the one for tubed only application - and you don't want it anyway. The 10" K62 whitewall available from ScooterWest is the version that can be mounted tubeless, or with a tube on split rims.

Go to http://www.motorcycletiresmaniac.com/
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Again, the OP says he is not looking for tires for a split rim / tubed application.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

QFT
bigmike7801

Post by bigmike7801 »

Dooglas wrote:
I didn't see the whitewall version on the Scooter West website.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

bigmike7801 wrote:I didn't see the whitewall version on the Scooter West website.
http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_page ... -Walls/466
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

We replaced the original Maxxis tire on the back of my wife's Buddy 150 last summer. Scooter had 4500 miles on it and the tire was toast. Always properly inflated and she weighs all of 115 lbs and is a pretty sensible rider. It's a St. Tropez and just doesn't look right without whitewall tires. Went ahead and bought a Prima, and 2000 miles in it still looks good and performs admirably. If it lasts at least 4000 miles, I'll be happy... and I will buy another.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

I put the Prima whitewalls on my Buddy and already have 4000 Buddy miles on them. I think they handle much better than the original Shinko tube types.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

I put the Prima whitewalls on my Italia and already have 4000 Buddy miles on them. I think they handle much better than the original Shinko tube types.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

My friend runs the Continental K62's in whitewall on his Buddy 125. They are tubeless. I almost bought them for the wife's Buddy until I got a great deal on the black wall Vee Rubbers. Good thing as she later told me she hates whitewalls!? But she did say our friends white wall Conti's looked good on his hot-rod themed Buddy. Friend said they gripped good and have not worn out really quick. I have a spare Maxxis white wall as a take off, but it's mostly for a emergency, as I don't like used scooter tires and it's been sitting outside for awhile. The Maxxis were great white wall tires.
bigmike7801

Post by bigmike7801 »

sc00ter wrote:My friend runs the Continental K62's in whitewall on his Buddy 125. They are tubeless. I almost bought them for the wife's Buddy until I got a great deal on the black wall Vee Rubbers. Good thing as she later told me she hates whitewalls!? But she did say our friends white wall Conti's looked good on his hot-rod themed Buddy. Friend said they gripped good and have not worn out really quick. I have a spare Maxxis white wall as a take off, but it's mostly for a emergency, as I don't like used scooter tires and it's been sitting outside for awhile. The Maxxis were great white wall tires.
Have any pictures of your friend's hot-rod themed Buddy?
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Not even sure if he joined this site. Not saying he is anti-social, but I think he just rides/enjoys his scooter. I will ask him today if he joined our site and if he knows how to post pictures. I think it turned out good, considering all the drama he went thru with the wheels. I'm always giving him grief if the whitewalls are dirty.
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

Schwalbe Weatherman WW
Can Get them from SIP

Good grip wet/dry and only WW available with a speed rating better than J (62mph)

-duo
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

SYMbionic Duo wrote:Schwalbe Weatherman WW. Can Get them from SIP
Good grip wet/dry and only WW available with a speed rating better than J (62mph)
How much time do you spend on your Buddy at speeds above 62 mph?
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

I spend most of my time at speeds around 60-65 with occasional spurts of 70. mostly it depends on wind.

But if you are pushing the limits of the speed rating, your tires will wear faster, so having higher rated tires will increase the life of your tires if you spend a good amount of time on the Hwy.

Also the Weatherman tires have a sport tread with reinforced shoulders, very good for carving the corners.

-duo
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

SYMbionic Duo wrote:Schwalbe Weatherman WW
Can Get them from SIP

-duo
They actually look pretty good. I however am not too knowledgeable about tire sizes, how does the 3.50 x 10 compare to the 100/90-10 that came on our Buddys?
Also, shipping to my location adds 50% to the cost, these 'guys' would have to be really good to justify that.
My shop is only 3 miles away, he's always done me right, my rear tire replacement is nearly annually.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

Essentially the same size. Some buddys came with 3.5-10 and some with 100/90-10