Need suggestions on taking the MSF class

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

EP_scoot

Need suggestions on taking the MSF class

Post by EP_scoot »

Hi guys and gals,
I would like to hear what you have to say regarding the MSF courses.

This was then . . . While I was living in Spain, I rode bikes for 10 years and put thousands of miles on every bike I had as it was my preferred means of transportation. Me and my friends would go to motorcycle rallies all over Spain year around. Longest ride we did was about 14 hours in one day when I had the Vespa P200 (the seat padding really got flat after that one!).
Living in the north of Spain we were surrounded by mountains and we would spend many weekends going up/down enjoying the curves of the road.

This is now . . . It has been 18 years since I have been on a motorcycle. My skills are probably not as sharp as how I think they are. I have been thinking about taking the 15 hour MSF Basic Riding Course. I am wondering if I would get too bored as I am probably familiar with all the techniques they teach since it is geared towards first time riders. At the same time, it HAS been 18 years (gosh I am getting old) and a refresher might be good.

They also offer a 5hr Experience Rider Course.

I have time to ponder this as they probably don't start the classes until May or so. I want to take at least one of them just to get the rust off.
I would really like to hear from those that have taken either course and get your input as to what might be the smarter thing to do.

Recommendations?

Thanks,
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
healingpath

Post by healingpath »

Hello D,

I took the Basic Rider Course last April here in NM. I was a first time rider at that time - so now I have about 8 months experience. Here's what I can tell you:

1) there were at least two men in that course who had been riding for about 20 years, and at least one other guy who had some experience also (the class size was 10 or 11 if I remember right). All of those guys had things to learn, and were challenged by those things, in spite of their experience. Why? Largely because the course is entirely geared to safety, and safety strategies and techniques, which, while a person may have a lot of riding experience, he or she doesn't necessarily have the up-to-date specific training in safety areas.

2) As a newbee, I loved the course, and the instructors were great. I of course had everything to learn, and feel that I got started on the right foot, with an understanding of what motorcycle safety is about, not only the physical maneuvers, but the thinking involved in defensive riding. I routinely recommend this course to anyone thinking about it, or new to riding 2 wheels, or, as in your case, long off the saddle. By the way, I took in on my scooter, which was then a new People 150.

Would you be bored with the Basic course? I doubt it. It's very demanding, a full two days, with about the first 4 hours in the classroom, and the rest of the time out on the range with your bike. I don't know about other people's experience, but I know there were a lot of laughs and smiles in the course I was in, along with the (often) demanding exercises.

Just my two cents. Welcome back to the world of 2 wheels.

Matthew
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Do you have an MC license currently? I don't think you can take the EC course without recent experience and a bike of your own.

Your time will not be wasted with the 'basic' course! I'm sure you've forgotten plenty, and it's best to work the bugs out in a controlled environment using someone else's machinery! 8) There are plenty of folks that take the basic course every few years just as a refresher...
jaded

Post by jaded »

I took the MSF basic course twice, about 10 years apart. I learned just as much the second time, perhaps more as I had basic shifting and handling down and could concentrate on improving, not to mention unlearning the few bad habits I had picked up over the years.
Take the MSF.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Healingpath, that is a great comment regarding the safety oriented aspect of the course. I was thinking about it from the "technique" point of view. I could use a refresher on technique, but in thinking about this, safety and the new environment (that being the US streets vs. Spain, trust me, very different) is what really should be my priority right now.

VitaminC, I only have my permit, which BTW, I have a hard time understanding the thinking behind being able to get on any motorcycle for up to a year, regardless of power, just by passing a super easy written test ! :shock: :shock:
Regarding using their bikes, could I just use my Blur? I would think it would be more beneficial to do the exercises on my scoot, than on something I will not ride after the course.

Jaded, your comment about bad habits is very valid. Not sure if I have any, heck, maybe I forgot them all, but the course should point them out.

Great feedback guys (or gals, not sure by your names :) .

Now I need to find the time to take a weekend off from my wife, 4 and 6 year olds . . . that should be easy :rofl: .

Gracias !

D.
healingpath

Post by healingpath »

It may be different from state to state regarding using your own bike or theirs, but I would hope that anyone would have that option. My instructors gave it to me, and I decided to use my scoot since I wasn't planning to ride shifters, and being able to concentrate on the riding without the need to incorporate the clutch and shifting, was better for me. By the way, I was the only scooterist in the bunch, but that didn't matter at all.

If you can somehow contact the instructors for the course, they could tell you if you'll be able to use your own ride.

Matthew
Bethers

Post by Bethers »

I believe the class itself is pretty much the same from state to state. I took it in Alabama just a couple months ago and had a couple people in your situation in the class. While they were lightyears ahead of noobs like me as far as driving, they were amazed at how much the class taught them - and how they had been doing somethings the wrong way.

I would recommend the class to everyone.

By the way- here in Alabama we were not allowed to use our own bikes. Actually, even though I only intend to use a scoot - the reason is that you are getting certified and possibly an insurance break for knowing how to ride a motorcycle correctly - which means learning to shift, etc is important. Scared the heck out of me - cause I'd never done it - but I passed and I'm glad I had to ride their bike to do so.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

I just completed the basic course here in California yesterday, partly to skip the DMV riding test but mainly to learn how to ride safely. I had zero experience and am a week short of being 70.

On Range 1, I rode their motorcycle and though I learned to shift, use the footbrake and clutch, etc. the fiddling with those items did not allow me to concentrate as much on the other points. For Range 2, I rode my Buddy 125 and felt like I was cheating because everything was so easy with the smaller lighter machine.

Had zero problems with the exam part except for the last turn where the setting sun was hitting me directly in the eyes and I couldn't see where I was going and I think I may have lost a point for slowing in the turn. I had practiced on previous days in a big empty parking lot taking much tighter turns, sharper and faster swerves and braking much harder from higher speeds than required in the course.
louie

Post by louie »

i took the basic course over ayear ago. it was awsome. at the time the instructor encouraged us to come back in a year and take the advanced course. He said it practiced all the same skills but at around 30 mph instead of 15 and he said there was an added super cool obstical course. i tried to signed up for it in october but too late it was full. i'll try again in spring. maybe the advanced is best for you. you use your own bike in the advanced course, their's in the basic.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Tazio wrote:
I had practiced on previous days in a big empty parking lot taking much tighter turns, sharper and faster swerves and braking much harder from higher speeds than required in the course.

Is there a place that shows you what the excersises are so you can practice ahead of time? Or maybe you were just doing your own thing before the course?

These replies really make it clear that it will be a great idea for me to take the course.

Thanks again.

D.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

EP_scoot wrote: Is there a place that shows you what the exercises are so you can practice ahead of time? Or maybe you were just doing your own thing before the course?
Go to your favorite library or bookstore and get a copy of "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. It has some info about parking lot practice, and is an excellent general reference for riding.
dalvarado

Re: Need suggestions on taking the MSF class

Post by dalvarado »

EP_scoot wrote:Hi guys and gals, I would like to hear what you have to say regarding the MSF courses. <snip>
Here's what I have to say. Took it a few weeks ago. In Sunny Corona, California... and got COMPLETELY soaked :wha: . It must have rained more that day than it did all last year. Rode their hardware. My second day on a bike in 20 years. The first and last day I ride in the rain! Take the MSF. It's so worth it.
Attachments
Graduation in the rain... we all passed :-). Instructor Christy on left. I'm taking the photo.
Graduation in the rain... we all passed :-). Instructor Christy on left. I'm taking the photo.
IMG00033_800x600.jpg (98.12 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
I rode the white one. Glad I didn't bring the scoot. We don't do rain in CA!
I rode the white one. Glad I didn't bring the scoot. We don't do rain in CA!
IMG00030_800x600.jpg (102.55 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

VitaminC, I am actually reading that book as we speak on recommendation from Corsair on another thread. Very good book. I am about 1/3 done. I will have to thumb through it tonight to find those exercises.

Dalvarado, I know what you mean by riding in the rain. Growing up in Pamplona (weather like the Pacific Northwest) you either learnt and enjoyed riding in the rain, or you only got to ride about 1/2 of the year at most. Don't let the rain stop you in the future. You would be amazed how comfortable (and dry) you are with a good rain suit and FF helmet. And back in the day, the cagers seemed to take pity on the bikers on rainy days thinking you were completely soaked and gave you lots of room. :)

D.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

You didn't say how you actually learned to ride back in the day. If you were self taught, you need the basic class and definitely don't want the advanced class. If you rode for 10 years and were self-taught you have bad habits.

You might be a little bored for the first hour or two on the range but the MSF basic class is hard work and fun. There are always returning riders in these classes so you'll most likely not be alone. When I took the class at least half of us were "born-again" riders.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

The practice exercises I used were primarily from the online MSF pdf "You & Your Scooter, Riding Tips" The exercises are in the end section. There is a link to it on this site.

topic1354.html

Also found David Hough's, "Proficient Motorcycling" and the MSF book, "Motorcycling Excellence" extremely useful. Both available at a good price from Amazon.com

The practice really helped because I could concentrate on the things that were giving me problems on Range 1. Also I rode about 400 miles just to break in the Buddy and get over my extreme nervousness, (I guess you could call it mental recovery) after I recoved from my physical injuries from the beginner's spill I took when I swerved and braked at the same time to avoid getting hit by a car that ran a stop sign.

When I started riding again I went with the CE Impact Protection Cortech jean style pants and jacket plus gloves www.tourmaster.com and the full face Z1R modular helmet to replace my Bell 3/4 with face shield. I already had the boots and did not have any injuries below the knees.

Also I added the brake and headlight modulars and wear a bright orange and yellow dorky looking vest. I noticed most of the riders in the MSF book are wearing that kind of vest. I don't care what I look like as long as I'm seen. Still need to replace the tooter with a Stebel. Hopefully Genuine will come out with an upgrade package for the older Buddies.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

dalvarado wrote: Here's what I have to say. Took it a few weeks ago. In Sunny Corona, California... and got COMPLETELY soaked :wha: . It must have rained more that day than it did all last year. Rode their hardware. My second day on a bike in 20 years. The first and last day I ride in the rain! Take the MSF. It's so worth it.
Hey, that's how my MSF training (in Nashville, TN) looked, too! I was glad to be one of the few with water-proof duds. I also rode my first motorcycle home in the rain- still not sure how I made it without incident!

And riding in the rain is way better than riding in hail. Ask me how I know :roll:
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

GT100
I was self taught so I know I have some bad habits. I do find myself looking at the edge of the road once in while.

Tazio, thanks for the info. I have gone to the MSF website and found that Scooter Riding doc you mentioned. I have also downloaded the Motorcycle Riding Tips doc for additional reading although I assume a lot is the same on both.

I am going through Proficient Motorcycling and I know my library has the sequel, More Proficient Motorcycling or something like that. Then I will polish Motorcycling Excellence.

It is a good thing that we are weather bound in MN (from riding the scoots) so I can go through all that reading before the MSF. I should have a pretty good base, and seeing all those safety books on my bedstand should help in easing my wife's attitude towards the scoot. I can only hope. :roll:

GT100. Born-again rider . . . nice ring to it, I might have to make a sticker out of that or something :D

Thanks you all for your help . . . did I say this is a great forum?

D.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

I know what you mean about Minnesota weather. I grew up and lived my previous lives in Wisconsin and northern Illinois. I always loved that week long or so period every year where the high for the day was still below zero. Winter was great, it was the other 9 months of lousy weather that I hated.

I interviewed for a job with 3M in Minneapolis once and one of the company benefits was the roving patrol that would help you get your car started if you required it. They also had 110 volt outlets at every spot for oil and radiator heaters.

I've lived the last almost 4 decades in sunny California where we can ride a bicycle or scooter almost everyday. Right now though it's raining and I will not ride anything in the rain if I can help it.
Last edited by Tazio on Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

[quote="dalvarado"[/quote]
Here's what I have to say. Took it a few weeks ago. In Sunny Corona, California... and got COMPLETELY soaked :wha: . It must have rained more that day than it did all last year. Rode their hardware. My second day on a bike in 20 years. The first and last day I ride in the rain! Take the MSF. It's so worth it.
its a crazy mixed up world, to be sure. i live in seattle, took the course mid-may this year and it was frakkin' sweltering. what was kinda funny was that the local tv folks came out to film us to talk about safety courses. the head honcho guy who oversees the classes called the instructor and took him to task for letting us push up the sleeves on our long-sleeved tee-shirts. the rules say you have to wear long-sleeved shirts. :lol:
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG