dB killer on NCY muffler?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

theralchico

dB killer on NCY muffler?

Post by theralchico »

I have a Buddy 150 and needed to replace the original muffler. The only ones available are performance ones (per Scooterworks) so I went with NCY. It is a lot louder than the stock and while it sounds cool, I'm not sure I'm into it.
I read there is a "removeable dB killer" but I can't figure out what that means. Was it a part I was supposed to get with the muffler or is it an adjustment I make on it? Help!
theralchico

Post by theralchico »

Ignore this post. I think I figured it out. There was a loose bag with a cap and allen wrench/screw I missed under the packing material
bigmike7801

Post by bigmike7801 »

Let us know if this does anything for the sound.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

It quiets it down quite a bit.
theralchico

Post by theralchico »

I quiets it about 30% or so, but keeps the throaty rumble. Sounds pretty good.
Snap

Re: dB killer on NCY muffler?

Post by Snap »

theralchico wrote:I have a Buddy 150 and needed to replace the original muffler. The only ones available are performance ones (per Scooterworks) so I went with NCY. It is a lot louder than the stock and while it sounds cool, I'm not sure I'm into it.
Know that feeling.
Loud gets old real fast not to mention that often bad things follow drawing attention to oneself in public doing questionable things in the perception of being cool.

More often than not no performance increase is realized because the intake end of the engine is not possibly pumping enough air in to match an opened up exhaust unless other things like race cams, bigger valves, increased compression and different gearing and altered ignition to get higher revs are implemented. That type of engine has characteristics than many will not like on the street because power increases that come at higher revs sacrifice power and torque at lower normal driving engine speeds.
And then there is that time later in life that we get to regret that our ears ring constantly.
Last edited by Snap on Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

theralchico wrote:I have a Buddy 150 and needed to replace the original muffler... Help!
Bummer!

We have three factory original exhaust pipes hanging in our garage. Two were brand new take-offs with less than 50 miles on them. We could have fixed you up for a fair price.

Man we need a Buddy swap meet in the Dallas area!
theralchico

Post by theralchico »

MTSCTR, thanks for the heads up. Good to know stock parts are available out there. Still don't understand how Scooterworks doesn't have them since I'm prettysure its the same xhaust on 170's
Snap

Post by Snap »

I'd bet they show up often.
Just call around for "take offs".

One on Ebay right now that seems to just need a little paint.
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

The stock exhausts are available, you just have to go through a dealer to get stock replacement parts. Or you could try scooterloungeonline for online ordering. Looks like the NCY is less expensive than the stock muffler.

-duo
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

SYMbionic Duo wrote:The stock exhausts are available, you just have to go through a dealer to get stock replacement parts. Or you could try scooterloungeonline for online ordering. Looks like the NCY is less expensive than the stock muffler.

-duo
…unless you order one from me :)