Fulmer AFM modular - decent helmet?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

EP_scoot

Fulmer AFM modular - decent helmet?

Post by EP_scoot »

Hi everyone,
I want to get a full face modular helmet, but my budget is shrinking by the minute as I also need a jacket, gloves and boots. I have another question about pants that I will post as a different topic.

My scooter shop has the FULMER AFM Modular for about $100.00. My old BIEFFE is over 20 years old and probably should be replaced. Is the Fulmer a decent helmet?

Again, price is an issue, so to begin with I am willing to give up some features, but I do want a full face modular, I am kind off attached to my jaw, but enjoy opening the jaw portion at gas stations, etc without taking the helmet off..

Do you have other suggestions in the same price range?

Thanks,

PS/ is there a spell check somewhere?
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
JNV

Fulmer helmets

Post by JNV »

I have owned Fulmer helemts before and I did not like them. They tend to fall apart on me rather quickly. In the decent price range I like Bell and HJC. I also have a Z1R retro open face helmet that is very comfortable, more so than a Vespa helmet I used to own.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Have you tried the helmet on? Fit trumps everything else, because an uncomfortable helmet will likely get left on the shelf after you buy a better fitting one, thereby possibly negating a great deal. Put it on and wander the store for 10+ minutes to see if you develop any 'hot spots'. Otherwise, google can probably dig up some reviews of any specific model you may be interested in...

PS- Firefox has a built in spell check, but this forum software does not.
coopdway

Post by coopdway »

I've really enjoyed two Shoei's, but recently bought a new Scorpion for next year. The sale price was incredible and they've got great fog-free face shields. I'd at least give them a look. Everyone I know that has them feels they received great value.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I just ordered a Fulmer modular that I won in a raffle at the Hill on Wheels Rally. It took me a while to find a local vendor to try on for size but I finally did. I'll give a little mini review after I have a chance to break it in. Right now I wear a KBC flip fron freeze that is good but a bit noisy...as most modulars are.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

I also have a Z1R Jimmy Retro and like the fit of the Z1R; I know it is an open face, but the helmet feels good and priced nicely; so it may be that Z1R's full faces fit well too (only a guess). As for a nice place to buy helmets you could try Dennis Kirk (denniskirk.com) they also have a bargin section with prices slashed down low. Good luck shopping.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I definitely suggest trying on anything before buying—especially when looking for a modular. I tried on at least a dozen makes and models before finding one to fit my large, misshapen head. But I couldn't even close the Fulmer on my face while others were just horrible uncomfortable (chin pressed up against the bar) or didn't fit in other ways (wrong shape, chin jutted out the bottom). The one I found that did fit was the Vega Summit II, which has been well-reviewed and retails for about $189—still much cheaper than most modulars. I'll be buying mine soon.

Also, I know Fulmer had a recall last year. Check their site for info. At that time, a number of MB or MV members complained about poor customer service from the company. I can't really vouch for that, though—people have wildly different standards for service and often report very different experiences with the same companies.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

ericalm wrote: ...my large, misshapen head.

Well THAT explains alot!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BuddyRaton wrote:
ericalm wrote: ...my large, misshapen head.

Well THAT explains alot!
Well...
http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic19212.html
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
10gallonhat

Post by 10gallonhat »

I have the Fulmer Modular helmet. Fulmer doesn't sell their helmets online because they want to make sure you try them on first. If it fits, it is a great low on the price range helmet.

There are other threads where intense debates have ensued over helmets. It is DOT certified, so it is safe to assume it will offer the same amount of safety protection as other similar modular helmets. I have ridden my Buddy mostly in the 25 to 40 degree fahrenheit range and have been greatly satisfied with this helmet.

The one thing I noticed about the Fulmer is it doesn't have all the bells and whistles some other Modulars have. It does have two vents - but not an unlimited amount of vent combinations. It doesn't come with different visors or a built in sun shade.

Also, depending on weather it will fog a little if it is cold outside and you don't leave the visor open a crack. Some helmets come with a fogshield installed, the Fulmer doesn't. Being new to the world of motorcycle helmets, I found this out the hardway :shock: (when I temporarily could see nothing!) If this is an issue for you there are fogshields you can install on it.

I say - if it fits your head comfortably then it is a great choice!
healingpath

Post by healingpath »

I've been using the Fulmer AFD4 full face helmet since April. No real complaints. I guess it's a pretty basic kind of helmet compared to the $200-$400 helmets. I have nothing to compare it to, but for the price point, seems to me it's a good helmet. There is a website, which I don't remember, but if you google "motorcycle helmet reviews" you can probably find it, where they reviewed test data - it got pretty complex for my understanding - on several different helmets. Turns out the the AFD4 rated as high as or higher than several much more pricey helmets in some important safety areas.

My 2 cents.

Matthew
lou76

Post by lou76 »

coopdway wrote:I've really enjoyed two Shoei's, but recently bought a new Scorpion for next year. The sale price was incredible...
second that emotion... i have abused the hell out of an exo700 for the last 16 mos. or so, and it has served me well...
pocphil
Dealer

Post by pocphil »

I've been wearing a Fulmer AF-M modus helmet since they were launched in '01. The '01 and '02 models had a small problem with the lens retaining pins. This led to a lot of failures and an undeserved bad record. There was a 100% free replacement program and I've never had a problem with my modus since. Fulmers are cut a little roomier in the front/back department. Many times folks who can't get a good fit in any other helmet will strike gold with a Fulmer. The modus system has functioned flawlessly and I own several other $$$$ helmets that don't get worn as frequently because I like the Fulmer so much. For a low $ helmet you really can't beat the quality and their dealers (us) stock all the replacement parts and about a dozen different visors in case you damage your helmet. I can't say the same thing for my $400 AGV or $400 Suomy.

Simply put, buy what fits and what you can afford. Do NOT ride around in a 15 year old helmet simply because you're saving up for an Arai.
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pocphil wrote:Fulmers are cut a little roomier in the front/back department. Many times folks who can't get a good fit in any other helmet will strike gold with a Fulmer.
Really, I had no idea I was a mutant until I went shopping for helmets. (Well, I can't find hats to fit either. Guess I need to find a Big Head hat store.)
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

POCPhil wrote:
Simply put, buy what fits and what you can afford. Do NOT ride around in a 15 year old helmet simply because you're saving up for an Arai.
That is kind off what I was thinking. My 20+ year old helmet should stay on the closetf, and the medium size Fulmer fits me great and it is in my budget, so I will feel safer riding with that that with my old one while I save for a $$$$ helmet with more bells and whistles.

I am planning a trip around the shops next week, since I am off from work, to try on more helmets and maybe I find something in the same price point. I just can't imagine buying one on the WWW unless I have tried it before. The Fulmer is also sold at the scoot shop where I got the Blur and I would like to keep supporting them as well as long as it does not break my wallet.

BTW . . . we are up to 23 degrees here in MN . . . pretty damn balmy, time to break out the shorts ! :D
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
Lambrettaman

Post by Lambrettaman »

Fit is most important. I rode with the Fulmer modular for awhile, but it was the LOUDEST helmet I have ever used. I liked its roominess, but it sounded like I was standing in the middle of the room standing next to my scooter with the sound reverberating all over the place. This not with a nice quiet 4T like the Buddy, it's with Stellas and Sito+s and a GP200 with a Big Bore, which are both noisy.

I made the mistake of splurging for a Shoei a few months ago. It is soooo comfy and quiet, I'll never be able to go back to a Fulmer or KBC.

Try some helmets on and stop relying on your way too old helmet.
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

ericalm wrote
Really, I had no idea I was a mutant until I went shopping for helmets. (Well, I can't find hats to fit either. Guess I need to find a Big Head hat store.)
I can not find hats that fit .... I tried to put on a XL full face helmet (I think it was a Bell) and it sat on the top of my head like a beanie ... there was no way I was going to get that even close ... so I am kind of afraid to order one online .... it will most likly have to be a half helmet ... I tried on a couple of those at my scoot dealer that seemed to fit ok .... I just didnt like the looks of that helmet
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Buddy_wannabe wrote:ericalm wrote
I can not find hats that fit .... I tried to put on a XL full face helmet (I think it was a Bell) and it sat on the top of my head like a beanie ... there was no way I was going to get that even close ... so I am kind of afraid to order one online .... it will most likly have to be a half helmet ... I tried on a couple of those at my scoot dealer that seemed to fit ok .... I just didnt like the looks of that helmet
I was kind of surprised at the lack of selection at most shops and dealerships in LA. Cycle Gear (national chain) probably had the most. Other than that, it took a lot of riding around and checking manufacturers web sites to see who carried their lids. Even then, the shops often didn't carry the whole line. For modulars, it was worse. Most shops only carry one or two models.

So, yeah, finding the right helmet can definitely take a lot of time and running around. If I hadn't gone to the motorcycle show in Long Beach a couple weeks ago, I'd still be searching.
Sunil

Post by Sunil »

second that emotion... i have abused the hell out of an exo700 for the last 16 mos. or so, and it has served me well...
I recently got a scorpion EXO400 and its is great. the anti-fog visor really works, even in the cold and rain we have had here recently. Its not a modular though so I guess this is a bit off topic, but still a great helmet for the price.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

Talk about fit, I wear medium for everything except my head which is extra small. I guess that explains alot.

Any way the Bell 3/4 and the Z1R Jimmy were the only helmets I found that would fit comforatably in the XS size. After I went splat on my face with the Bell and before I received the Jimmy I had ordered, I exchanged it for the Z1R Modular which I love.
pesqueeb

Post by pesqueeb »

A fulmer helmet saved my life. Although I will say, get a full face or modular thats all I will do different next time.
Attachments
helmet 2.jpg
helmet 2.jpg (30.67 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
helmet 1.jpg
helmet 1.jpg (26.58 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
Take off the tin foil hat and let the voices drive for a minute. It'll be fine.