To ship or not to ship? Transporting scooter -- PDX to SF

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

monicadelcarmen

To ship or not to ship? Transporting scooter -- PDX to SF

Post by monicadelcarmen »

Hey guys,

I have a 125cc Buddy that I need to get down to SF from Portland, OR. I'm trying to price out different options (crating & shipping) vs. renting a U-haul pick-up and strapping it in and driving it down.

Any advice for the most economical way to transport a scooter? Any good companies to recommend?

Thanks!

Monica
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

What kind of car(s) do you have?
monicadelcarmen

Post by monicadelcarmen »

none! i'd have to rent a truck or car of some sort...
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Call around and check prices. Honestly is varies so much depending on location I can't rightly say which is best. Preferably I would rent a uhaul and strap her down. Crate shipping has been known to cause damage.

Hopefully some kind members in the NW can help.
MYSCTR

CANYON DANCER

Post by MYSCTR »

If you choose to haul it or have someone haul it for you - be sure to get one of these and then ratchet tension equally on both sides.

Canyon Dancer 28505 Black Short Bar-Harness II

I've owned two of these (older style). I wouldn't load a bike on a trailer or in a truck without one. Be sure to get the short (28") or at least nothing longer than the standard 32" size. The 36" is too long to work really well with most tie downs inside pick up truck beds.

You can pick them up on Amazon for about $26.00.
Attachments
canyon_dancer_2_tie_down.jpg
canyon_dancer_2_tie_down.jpg (57.4 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
Snap

Post by Snap »

If you're talking a 630 mile trip or even worse if round trip (scooter or not on return), renting and paying travel expenses including potential overnight rooms is going to be far more money that finding a shipper.

There are bike specific shippers who can transport it safely without crating.
Research them a bit and make sure they are insured, etc.
Don't go for one of those lowball bidder type deals (think those tv guys ans gals).

I had a bike brought up to New England from Florida by a retired military driver who transported bikes for his retirement job. I never had a doubt about whether or not it was safe. I got calls from the road giving headsups on progress. Well spent money.

If you search other motorcycle boards you'll find personal experiences like: http://www.triumphrat.net/members-resto ... untry.html
http://forums.cycleworld.com/showthread ... t=shipping
Last edited by Snap on Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kevinpsu160

Post by Kevinpsu160 »

I will transport my scooters PCX150 and Buddy 150 in my Honda Odyssey minivan. I remove the seats and use the metal seat holders to attach the straps. The last scooter I purchased the guy couldn't believe that it fit so nicely.

Why am I saying all of this? I would personally rent a UHaul van. The van will protect the scooter. You listed two options but I can also think of a third one. Saddle up and enjoy the ride from Oregon to San Fran :)
Snap

Post by Snap »

I've used a Canyon Dancer on our trailer. Works great to avoid messing up the plastic.

Just remember to never sock the forks all the way down (don't bottom out) leaving a little bounce room or you will blow the fork seals and you'll end up with leaks and need replacements.

Then again you're going to need tie down straps and something to attach to.
Your costs are going up if it's a one time deal.
Snap

Post by Snap »

Monica must be on the road.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Kevinpsu160 wrote:You listed two options but I can also think of a third one. Saddle up and enjoy the ride from Oregon to San Fran :)
Not that it can't be done, but it takes a special person to "enjoy" a 630 mile ride on a Buddy 125 - especially about now which is when I suppose the OP would like it transported. (or actually something more than 700 miles if you go down the Coast, which is the more likely route for a small scooter)
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Drain fluids.
Rent a hatchback car.
Wrap 'scoot in padding.
Be creative!
Snap

Post by Snap »

GregsBuddy wrote:Drain fluids.
Rent a hatchback car.
Wrap 'scoot in padding.
Be creative!
The majority of Monicas can not and should not attempt to safely lift a Buddy into a trunk, so that's not much help.

If she's going to rent a vehicle might as well make it a van or pickup and do it right.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

In a truck, the price of fuel alone is worth about 1/2 the value of the 'scoot.
I make this trip often.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I've used a rented pick-up, a rented u-haul van, a vanagon minus the seats, and a rented u-haul with all my furniture to transport mine on various occasions. Just normal ratchet straps was fine for securing it in all of the above.
Scooter Commuter
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

You can go through your dealer. They probably still have buddy crates that can be reused and they can find a shipper for you. I shipped my bike from Mpls to New Orleans and it was about $300. didn't get charged for crating since i was using a used crate.

The cost for shipping depends on if the sender and receiver have either a loading dock or a fork lift, if they don't then the price will go up because the shipper will have to transfer to a vehicle with a lift gate.

-duo
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
Snap

Post by Snap »

Blah Blah Blah.
No one noticed she's long gone and hasn't peeped since the original posting?
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

It's called therapy, Snap!
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Noticed. But it's not just about the OP. (Ever tried to search for something... It's always the least helpful posts you find.) Tip: if you're bored with a thread, don't bump it! '-)
Scooter Commuter