New Buddy 50

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Clydeo

New Buddy 50

Post by Clydeo »

I just bought a new Brit for my daughter to use while in college. I rode it home from the dealer today. I have been riding motorcycles since the 70's, but I was a bit nervous before the ride: riding a tiny little bike with tiny little wheels 30 miles and over a mountain during rush hour seemed kind of "iffy". Things didn't start out very smoothly, as I locked up the rear brakes three times while trying to leave the parking lot (other bikers will understand why). But once I got moving, everything went smoothly. The bike kept up with traffic in town, no problem. Going over the mountain I pulled over several times to help break the motor in, but it climbed the rather steep incline very steadily (I almost passed a truck in the process, but wisdom prevailed for once). I arrived home safely with a smile on my face. The 50 will be perfect for my daughter in the environment she will be living in. Her riding lessons start Friday. I have to confess that, all in all, I was actually rather impressed with this teeny tiny thing!
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

Cool, Welcome to the forum.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

skipper20

Re: New Buddy 50

Post by skipper20 »

Clydeo wrote:I just bought a new Brit for my daughter to use while in college. I rode it home from the dealer today. I have been riding motorcycles since the 70's, but I was a bit nervous before the ride: riding a tiny little bike with tiny little wheels 30 miles and over a mountain during rush hour seemed kind of "iffy". Things didn't start out very smoothly, as I locked up the rear brakes three times while trying to leave the parking lot (other bikers will understand why). But once I got moving, everything went smoothly. The bike kept up with traffic in town, no problem. Going over the mountain I pulled over several times to help break the motor in, but it climbed the rather steep incline very steadily (I almost passed a truck in the process, but wisdom prevailed for once). I arrived home safely with a smile on my face. The 50 will be perfect for my daughter in the environment she will be living in. Her riding lessons start Friday. I have to confess that, all in all, I was actually rather impressed with this teeny tiny thing!
Welcome to MB but as one who is an experienced biker, I'm trying to understand why you locked up the brakes three times while you were still in the parking lot.

Bill in Seattle
'09 150 Blackjack
'12 170i Italia
Clydeo

Post by Clydeo »

Lol! It took a while for my left hand to get the message that "this thing ain't got no clutch!" I kept on trying to disengage the "clutch"'(left hand) to put the "bike in gear". Later on, I kept trying to brake with my right foot. It only took a couple of miles to retrain myself.
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

I did that too at first. Kept fanning the brake lever to shift & lifting my left foot. 42 years on motorcycles, 2 months on scooters. :D
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Thats funny! I have worried I am just the opposite since it has been 34 years since I rode a motorcycle on a regular basis. With the past 7 years on a Buddy scooter, there are times I wonder how I would handle going back to a bike.

Speaking of bikes, I still catch myself using the old mountain bike hand grip on the scoot which the MSF instructor did not like. Of course when I do it and catch myself I can still see him giving me that look.

And then there is that quirky garage door opener the size of a key fob that I click trying try to "lock" my scooter when walking away like that will really do any good.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Clutch! (Reminds me of the "Toe Pick!" scene in Cutting Edge... Skip to like minute 1:25 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keBSNn_ofSM)
MYSCTR wrote: Speaking of bikes, I still catch myself using the old mountain bike hand grip on the scoot which the MSF instructor did not like.
I have the same problem. I've also contemplated switching the front and rear brake on either my bicycles or my scooter, so I don't get confused...
MYSCTR wrote: And then there is that quirky garage door opener the size of a key fob that I click trying try to "lock" my scooter when walking away like that will really do any good.
I've tried to unlock my house with my car's key fob before... :roll:

Some days are longer than others. :P
Scooter Commuter