Brit 200 miles impressions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Clydeo

Brit 200 miles impressions

Post by Clydeo »

Our new Brit now has 200 miles on it, as I continue to slowly break it in. I have been getting very close to 100 miles per gallon while riding at an average of 35-40 mph. The only issue I have noticed is that on two occasions the starter motor hasn't engaged properly the first try (it worked fine on the 2nd try), something I will have The tech check at our first service. The bike continues to exceed my expectations (based on my 1979 Vespa). It maintains 40 mph easily, with a bit left in reserve; it handles VERY well; it stops and accelerates surprisingly well; climbs hills (slowly) with a passenger; holds a weeks wort of groceries. It is uncomfortable for me with the lower seat, but it fits my daughter just fine, and we got it for her to use. BTW, her riding lessons are going very well. Contrary to common wisdom, I am very glad that we got the 50 instead of the 125 for her to start out on. I am hoping to get a 125 for my wife soon, tho; she really likes the Buddy!
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

The buddy starter clutch not engaging first try sometimes is normal.
Clydeo

Post by Clydeo »

Thanks! I was wondering if that might be the case.
MYSCTR

Re: Brit 200 miles impressions

Post by MYSCTR »

Clydeo wrote:Our new Brit now has 200 miles on it. The bike continues to exceed my expectations, it handles VERY well; it stops and accelerates surprisingly well; climbs hills...
…and looks Oh So Fine! Go Brit!

Do we have another TARDIS Whovian riding among us?
Clydeo

Whovian

Post by Clydeo »

I have been a proud Whovian since 1972! My daughter is planning on covering the bike with Adipose stickers. When she is done with it, well I love the full blown Tardis approach that I have seen in the gallery forum, which is a true work of art! One doesn't copy art, but it would fun to try to come up with something with a similar theme.
Clydeo

Brit update

Post by Clydeo »

It is funny how bikes just seem to work exceptionally well some days. I took my daughter's Brit for a quick 35 mile ride after work yesterday, and the bike just ran incredibly well. I am still breaking the engine in, so I was taking things pretty easily, rarely using full throttle, changing speeds regularly, etc., but the bike just wanted to run. I kept on seeing 45-50 bmph on the speedo, and I kept on having to slow her down, something I don't remember ever having to do with my old 50cc Vespa years ago. Still getting 100 mpg, as far as I can tell. Almost ready for the 500 mile service, at which point my daughter gets her. I am going to miss her (my TU 250 will be happy tho; she's getting jealous)
tiii

Post by tiii »

I really get a kick out of my 50cc scooter... however in SF, it barely makes 20 mph up the steeper hills.

I completely got that part about your other scoot being jealous, haha.
Clydeo

Brit 50

Post by Clydeo »

I took it out for a 60 mile ride, trying to get to that 500 mile service before my daughter gets her license this week. I live in a hilly, rural area where there are lots of tight curves, very little traffic, and a lot of beautiful scenery. The Brit rarely gets less than 30 mph, and runs at 50 bmph at 2/3 throttle. No problems whatsoever so far. My daughter loves the bike, but is ready to ride it away from Dads protective eyes. She is doing well with her riding lessons, and we will be heading out into traffic next week. I wish she could take the MSF course first, but she can't get her bike learners permit until she has a drivers license. She doesn't want to drive a car at all, so her plan is to get her license using a rental car, ride the Brit until she can take the MSF course, using the Brit to get around in the meantime, and then getting her bike license and a Buddy 170 in a year or so, at which point I get the Brit back (rather my wife does). Our quiet area will allow for this in relative safety. At least that's the plan!
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Perry and Juniata county have some fantastic places to wear the tires off a scooter, and the Genuine shop in Carlisle has it's 2nd annual 2digit ride (any size welcome, it's just set up for under 100cc fun) next Sunday. It's posted in the rides/rallies section here on MB, if you want to go.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
Clydeo

Scenary

Post by Clydeo »

Lol! Ihave spent the last 12 years riding around Perry and Juniata counties, and they are truly amazing places to ride. And 147 across the river isn't too shabby, either! I live in Perry County, but I am trying to keep the good riding there secret: I enjoy riding for a hour or two without any traffic other than deer, wandering bears, bald eagles, etc.
I was hoping to make it to the two digit tour, but familial commitments are not going to make it possible.
I bought the Brit at Carlisle Scooters. Great folks, great shop.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Sorry you can't make it. There is plenty more stuff going on this summer though. I'm sure we will catch up with you somewhere.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"