How did they steal my scooter?!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

gopatrickw

How did they steal my scooter?!

Post by gopatrickw »

We woke up this morning to find that our scooter had been stolen! At first, I thought that I hadn't properly locked it up. We usually use a long orange chain with a master lock and a kryptonite cable and secure it to the signpost. All that was left of our scooter was this mangled piece- clearly from our chain. How did they do it!?!? We are furious and have already filed a police report and an insurance claim, but I just don't understand what happened.
Attachments
unnamed-2.jpg
unnamed-2.jpg (39.77 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Looks as if it was cut (snipped maybe) and bent. Remember, a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.
Sorry to hear your scoot was stolen, hopefully the outcome will be positive.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

They will sometimes freeze the chain with freon, and then crack it with a big hammer.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

Chains do not stop thieves, they simply deter them by requiring more effort to steal, if they are determined, they will steal it.

And was it hardened chain or mild steel? Hardened will require an angle grinder or drill with a cut off disc (or a very long time with a good hack saw) to cut through, a mild steel chain can be zipped through with a hack saw or snipped with bolt cutters. In your picture it looks like mild steel. Thieves know the difference between the two.
gopatrickw

Post by gopatrickw »

Thanks for all the responses! Yeah, we are just trying to figure out what happened so that IF we can find our scooter... or if we have to get another one in the future, we can figure out a way to better deter thieves.
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

gopatrickw wrote:Thanks for all the responses! Yeah, we are just trying to figure out what happened so that IF we can find our scooter... or if we have to get another one in the future, we can figure out a way to better deter thieves.
The simple answer is, that chain was not good enough. Looks like it was clipped and then pried open. So basically, don't skimp on the chain, and never chain it to anything weaker than the chain itself.

A chain used for hauling, which is what that looks like to me, is not going to be strong enough. As someone else said, you need tempered steel, at least; a chain designed specifically for securing scooters. If you require that they need power-tools, they are generally going to move onto the next easier thing to steel.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

ed85379 wrote:
gopatrickw wrote:Thanks for all the responses! Yeah, we are just trying to figure out what happened so that IF we can find our scooter... or if we have to get another one in the future, we can figure out a way to better deter thieves.
The simple answer is, that chain was not good enough. Looks like it was clipped and then pried open. So basically, don't skimp on the chain, and never chain it to anything weaker than the chain itself.

A chain used for hauling, which is what that looks like to me, is not going to be strong enough. As someone else said, you need tempered steel, at least; a chain designed specifically for securing scooters. If you require that they need power-tools, they are generally going to move onto the next easier thing to steel.

Reason enough to get a proper garage. :roll:
gopatrickw

Post by gopatrickw »

I wish we could get a garage! We live in the city and have had problems with mail theft and now scooter theft. Thanks for the tip! For the next round, much stronger chains.
tiii

Post by tiii »

Much stronger chain or any cable. While most anyone can gain access to a bolt cutter, cable cutters are a different situation.

Which city?
Last edited by tiii on Wed May 13, 2015 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

gopatrickw wrote:I wish we could get a garage! We live in the city and have had problems with mail theft and now scooter theft. Thanks for the tip! For the next round, much stronger chains.
I'm with you. When we can actually afford a house, I will be getting a garage. That doesn't always stop them either, but....

Sorry to hear this. There's no 100% way to secure them, all you can do is do your best and carry good insurance.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

skully93 wrote:
gopatrickw wrote:I wish we could get a garage! We live in the city and have had problems with mail theft and now scooter theft. Thanks for the tip! For the next round, much stronger chains.
I'm with you. When we can actually afford a house, I will be getting a garage. That doesn't always stop them either, but....

Sorry to hear this. There's no 100% way to secure them, all you can do is do your best and carry good insurance.
Yes, a garage is nice to have. However, years ago my mother's neighbor had a locked car stolen from a locked attached garage while they were home!
Nothing is a given.
I keep my scoot as well as my son's motorcycle garaged, the car resides out side with the keys in it. I live in a 'rural-ish' area. I also leave the house 'without a lock'. In the 27 years I've lived here there's not (yet) been an issue, except one neighbor down the road, but it was a 'targeted' thing....
As for your 'mail theft' issue, maybe it's time to think about a 'better' neighborhood. (You don't state what city you live in.)
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

KABarash wrote:
skully93 wrote:

Yes, a garage is nice to have. However, years ago my mother's neighbor had a locked car stolen from a locked attached garage while they were home!
Nothing is a given.
I keep my scoot as well as my son's motorcycle garaged, the car resides out side with the keys in it. I live in a 'rural-ish' area. I also leave the house 'without a lock'. In the 27 years I've lived here there's not (yet) been an issue, except one neighbor down the road, but it was a 'targeted' thing....
As for your 'mail theft' issue, maybe it's time to think about a 'better' neighborhood. (You don't state what city you live in.)
Funny, I live in an area where you could leave your scooter in front of the house unlocked without thinking twice about it being stolen (I know because my wife has left her Buddy on the porch unlocked for years), but I still put my Stella in the garage and lock it to my Triumph Bonneville with a heavy duty Xena alarm lock. I guess since I was raised in New York City some old habits die hard.
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I like the Kryptonite New York chain noose and lock. EDITED to note... actually I have the OnGuard brand's version of this... I suspect either would take some serious doing to break it. (Though it can be done.)
Last edited by sunshinen on Fri May 15, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scooter Commuter
tiii

Post by tiii »

How are folks getting thick chains etc through the buddys' wheels?
I'm relying on a cable and even it isn't easy to slide through the slots.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I lock it to the center stand... Make sure to go through the welded part.

There's a diagram in this post... you have to scroll a bit: topic434.html
Scooter Commuter
tiii

Post by tiii »

Thanks Sunshinen