Bonegirl's 40,000 mile Buddy 125 is for sale!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scootERIK

Bonegirl's 40,000 mile Buddy 125 is for sale!

Post by scootERIK »

My local scooter shop has Bonegirl's pink 2006 Buddy 125 for sale.

Looks like it hasn't been ridden since Genuine got it-

http://www.scootjockeys.com/2006-Genuin ... &fm=2&vin=
Syd

Post by Syd »

A sign that Phil's gone. Too bad.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

:/
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

OK...time to post on Genuine's FB page...I wonder if others will do the same...like everyone.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

That's very encouraging to us new Buddy owners!
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

40,000 Holy watermelon seeds Batman! Props to the Genuine and Bonegirl.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Sweet I wonder what they are asking for it? R
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Here is the thread where Genuine wanted that scooter viewtopic.php?t=14251&postdays=0&postor ... ck&start=0
www.teamscootertrash.com

avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

They're obviously not trying to sell it...

An '06 with 40K for $1500? :lol:
luckyscroller788

? for Erik

Post by luckyscroller788 »

Did Sherm acquire that one at the same time as that new still in crate '05 Stella? Just curious.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Weird...

I remember being a little disappointed when they bought it... I was hoping to see how many she could get to.

But to buy it ... and then sell it? I hope this was some sort of oversight or mistake or... :roll:
Scooter Commuter
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Nice to see it again.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
BoneGirl

Update

Post by BoneGirl »

Hi, to all my Friends on here. My husband just sent me the link listing my first Buddy for sale and then the link to Modern Buddy's thread. It's all so strange!

Maybe I can answer a few questions.

To GregsBuddy: Yes! You should be encouraged! My 2nd Buddy is a 2009 Black Jack that I re-invented as The Pinkster. It had over 43K miles in a few years and the engine finally died on me. I would love to have known how far I could have gone on the 2006 Buddy. After riding both, we decided the 2006 engine was a much stronger one than the 2009, even though it was a 125 and not a 150, like the Black Jack. But engines can vary.

With that said, we put my husband's 2006 Buddy 125 motor kitted to 161cc in the Pinkster. So I still have that bike, but it has been ridden hard: scooter racing and long, long rides at the 60+ MPH for several hours at a time. That is expecting a lot for these engines. My 2009 is insured and licensed and now I use it as a backup bike. I think everyday normal use of the Buddys will get a ton more miles than I have gotten. I didn't ride as hard on my first one. Didn't race or do big road trips but I did ride it a lot.

I can't say enough about the Buddy in general but I don't know of anyone who rides their bike quite as hard as I am known to do. I am sure there's one or two but not many.
BoneGirl

To continue..

Post by BoneGirl »

And now to Sunshinen: It was really an honor that Genuine acknowledged me for my story with that first Buddy 125. I had the hardest time imaginable giving it up because it was my first scooter ever and I was so attached to it. But it did make a lot of sense to give it to Genuine as a showpiece in return for the 2009 Pinkster. Like you, I always wondered about how far I could have ridden that bike before crashing the engine. It was so strong when I gave it up and I really do believe it was a much better engine than the one in my Black Jack.
BoneGirl

BuddyRaton

Post by BoneGirl »

And now to BuddyRaton: It was an honor to meet you this weekend at Amerivespa! Thank you so much for going out of your way to find me in the masses.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Can you comment on your maintenance schedule, now that you've let us know a bit about its running life?
Regular oil changes with synthetic oil?
Valve adjustments?
Belt replacements?
Tyre life?
Grade of fuel used?
Did you let it run low on oil?
Any regular failures (Coils, brake shoes/pads, etc.)?
Thanks!!
BoneGirl

Lastly...

Post by BoneGirl »

With everything that has gone down with Genuine the last couple years, it's hard to say what's going on but if someone can sell my original Bonegirl Buddy, then more power to them. It did catch me off guard when my husband sent me the link to Scoot Jockeys.

Even with the mileage so high, I have been fortunate to have an amazingly mechanical husband, who keeps my scooters at peak performance. He, more than anyone else, knows how much I ride, how far I travel and that many times it's solo. So he makes sure my bike is always maintained and running soundly.

Sadly, I bought a new scooter the Fall of 2013, a Honda PCX 150. With as many miles as I ride and with the type of riding I do, I was concerned about how much time and money was being spent on new suspension, new exhausts, new engines, etc. We searched high and low and did uncountable hours researching a scooter that would fit my riding style. I have never been much of a Vespa person so that eliminated quite a few bikes in the cc range I wanted. Other manufacturers didn't impress me. Finally, I considered a Honda. I was told repeatedly by Honda motorcyclists that I would wear the body out before the engine wore out. I looked hard at the Forza but it is enormous! It would be so nice to have a 250cc or a bit larger but the bikes started getting too big to suit me. I like small and nimble. So here I am with a Honda and not a Genuine after almost 10 years. Things change but I'll always be the strongest advocate of the Buddy. With 83K+ miles in less than 10 years, how can you say anything negative about it? :D
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

GregsBuddy wrote:Can you comment on your maintenance schedule, now that you've let us know a bit about its running life?
Regular oil changes with synthetic oil?
Valve adjustments?
Belt replacements?
Tyre life?
Grade of fuel used?
Did you let it run low on oil?
Any regular failures (Coils, brake shoes/pads, etc.)?
Thanks!!
Greg, I have been searching all through the Forum trying to find all that info. Over the years I had so many people ask me the same questions. I will go get my Maintenance Journal from the garage and see what I can help you with.

I will tell you we only use full synthetic oil on scooters and vehicles.

The Buddy said regular gas but we have always used premium. When we took bikes aprt, it was amazing to see how much cleaner everything is inside the scooter with premium compared to regular gas.

I made the service folks at Genuine absolutely insane because I wore parts out so quickly just from being a high mileage rider. Belts and rollers were replaced a zillion times. The weight of my rollers depended on my mood. Did I want to be quicker or have a higher speed? Personally, I love speed so I went with whatever gave me a higher end on the speedometer. :lol:

Never ran low on oil and always had regular oil changes. Period.

Yes, I have gone through every make and model of tires under the sun. My favorite tires used to be Shinkos. Firm, great in lousy weather, great grip. Then all of a sudden they were crap tires and we found out they were sold and made elsewhere. So the last several years I only use Michelin tires. I am a big girl and have managed 6K out of these Michelins. I also want to say you should buy your tires in sets. Yes, I know the front still looks good by the time you wear out the rear but change them both. Have gotten the most miles and the best grip from them. Tire life will depend on your riding style. Do you ride mostly straight? Do you like screaming around curves? I always got the best deal from Bike Bandit for Michelin S1 scooter tires. http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/m ... ooter-tire

As far as the other stuff, like brakes, you just have to feel those things out sometime. Ben regularly looks at all that stuff if he's already in the bike.

Gosh, I sure hope this helps, Greg.

:)
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Here's the question we ALL want to know, Bonegirl:Seafoam....yay or nay? :)
BoneGirl

Seafoam

Post by BoneGirl »

KrispyKreme wrote:Here's the question we ALL want to know, Bonegirl:Seafoam....yay or nay? :)
In the Winter when we weren't riding much we would add a capful to a full tank of gas.
BoneGirl

Seafoam

Post by BoneGirl »

KrispyKreme wrote:Here's the question we ALL want to know, Bonegirl:Seafoam....yay or nay? :)
In the Winter when we weren't riding much we would add a capful to a full tank of gas.
KrispyKreme

Re: Seafoam

Post by KrispyKreme »

BoneGirl wrote:

Obviously the key to motor longevity. :wink:
Syd

Post by Syd »

It's good to hear from you, BoneGirl. Nice to know you're still riding too!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Thank you, Bonegirl.
I didn't mean to create work for you! Your response is more than expected already.
Rarely ride full chat because the scoot' is great fun at my normal riding speed and acceleration.
I like riding corners briskly but no knee down stuff.
I'm excited to test the pair of Continentals that just arrived. I was considering moving the front Maxxis to the rear and putting a new Conty on the front until the Maxxis wore out on the front. Not such a good idea, then?
schroeder

Post by schroeder »

How about a short review on the Honda pcx? Top speed, mpg, and just general ride appeal for you?
Me? I ride for the bugs!
BoneGirl

Honda PCX

Post by BoneGirl »

schroeder wrote:How about a short review on the Honda pcx? Top speed, mpg, and just general ride appeal for you?
Feels wrong writing about it on here but I will do it since you asked. And I am no good at writing "short reviews". I was asked by Philip McCaleb to write short reviews for different things. I told him that's pretty much impossible!!

(1) My initial concern was the climb over the hump to get on the scooter. I have to admit, having had only Buddys in the past, it was a joy to step through to get on the bike. I have had 2 hip replacements, a left Achilles reattachment and an upcoming knee surgery. So when the left leg is not happy, getting on the PCX is difficult sometimes. I was scheduled to test ride a CanAm Spyder but the way you are instructed to mount the bike made it impossible for me to ride the dang thing. So if you have any difficulty climbing onto a motorcycle, the PCX is a little difficult compared to a step through bike.

(2) Honda uses a "Rev Limiter" in cars and motorcycles. It is designed to protect the engine. My 150cc will max out at 67 mph. It has decreased to 63 mph depending head winds, riding in a tuck position, etc. I ran my Buddys higher than that frequently. The speedometer on a Buddy will register higher speeds than actual speed and according to my GPS, I could max out the Black Jack at 72mph, which is great! So this has bugged me the most. Honda has spoken to me about removing the rev limiter but the engineers design these for a reason. And if I go through scooters because I blow the engines, I need to maintain what I have installed. I sometimes use one of the smaller interstates in Cincinnati and the speed limit is 60 mph. If I can run 60-65 mph, that's really all I need. I admit to being a speed junkie. I guess that's why I stick to smaller bikes that won't run faster than my guardian angel can fly! :rofl: I JUST got off the phone with Honda to verify. Running the engine at full speed will NOT damage your engine. The guy I spoke with has a Honda Grom and he said he runs it maxed out all the time. He made a point of saying something about people not putting 40K on a bike and I laughed out loud and reminded him of who he was talking to. Tee! Hee! He said some guys swear by a certain oil and it might help increase the speed some. I'll talk about liquids later.

(3) The rev limiter plus other features allows for amazing fuel economy. My Black Jack would get about 90 miles per tank (which is about 1.5 gallons). The PCX has a 1.25 gallon tank and I have gotten 120 miles per tank without running it to Empty. Because of the fuel injection, you shouldn't run it that low on gas or the pumps have to work to hard. So this is amazing to be able to go over 110 miles on a tank. BTW.You know how you get better gas mileage on the highway than the City? Totally opposite for the PCX. If I run long and fast with few stops like I did going to Amerivespa this past weekend, I get less miles. Haven't clocked it but noticed I needed fuel sooner.

(4) I've never used anything but Premium fuel in my scooters after we started working on them at home. Ben immediately noticed the difference. He pulled the cylinder head off the engine (to get to the piston) of the Pinkster and it and the piston was SO much cleaner using Premium than it had been before that.

(5) We use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W30 in the PCX. The Owners Manual says 10W30 but the Service Manual list a few others depending on the temperature. Makes sense.

(6) About the ride. I was always comfy on my Buddys and could ride forever! Bottom didn't hurt or get tired but my knees and shoulders would need a break because of previous injuries.

Same with the PCX. The original 150 seat was a terrible design and they have re-designed it for the 2015 model. First thing I did was order a new seat. Now I am comfy and happy for miles and miles and endless miles. My own physical limitations are the only thing that makes me need to stop every 2 hours or so to stand and stretch. So far, I am really happy. Already have a lot of miles on it since August 2013. Had several surgeries since then but still managed to put 14K on it in a year and a half so that's pretty decent.

Sorry I ramble but I try to give a lot of detail (even when unwarranted!)
schroeder

Post by schroeder »

Thank you Bonegirl. I appreciate your thoughts. One more question. I am concidering Buying either a Blackjack with under 2000 miles or a new 2015 Honda PCX 150. If you were me and could only have one, which scooter would you choose? I can only get my Buddy 125 up to about 54 gps mph. And am looking for a little more speed. I weight about 205.
Me? I ride for the bugs!
BoneGirl

Thanks

Post by BoneGirl »

Syd wrote:It's good to hear from you, BoneGirl. Nice to know you're still riding too!
Thanks, Syd! And Thanks to Greg.

Miss you guys and should probably check in more often. It's hard to see my original bike for sale. It's been sitting in Genuine for many years. I hope they replaced a lot of parts that were just tired and worn out. I don't know the story behind the sale of the bike but I bet that engine is still ready to rock and roll!!!

Hope all my info helps people. Sorry I ramble but it felt good to talk to you folks again! Angie :bat:
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Yep, be encouraged all Buddy owners. I sold my '08 Pamplona 150 with just under 40K for 650. It was still incredibly strong, fast and reliable.
I miss that little guy sometimes but really enjoying my other big single!

EDIT. oops.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.