Gas gauge not working OOB? New 2015 50cc

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dscbuddy

Gas gauge not working OOB? New 2015 50cc

Post by dscbuddy »

Hey folks,
Great resource and looking forward to being part of the community. I've just purchased my first Buddy - a Red 2015 50cc, but having issues with the gas gauge. After a decent dealer experience, I walked out of with a pretty great ride and started off on my inaugural 30mi home. About 15mins into my ride, I noticed that my gas gauge was reading empty -- this is despite visibly seeing 3/4 of a tank in there before leaving. Now, I can at least see 1/4 of a tank in there.

I've reached out to the dealer and awaiting response; in the meantime, done my research and know of the typical culprits, but can anyone share any experience/advice on off-the-lot issues like this? Got home pretty late, but planning on fueling up tmrw and hoping for the easy fix. Really hoping to avoid a 60mi roundtrip ride...

Thanks!

TL;DR Gas gauge not working on brand-new 2015 50cc. Reached out to dealer but closed for couple days. :(
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

A new Father! Don't fret about the gas. Use Motul 710 and you are all good mate. Keep it filled with gas. Is that so hard?
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

The cable that connects it could just be loose. Or it might be that the float is just a tad stuck.

I'd try topping it up, maybe add some Seafoam to the gas, to see if that magically knocks it free.

Someone else might have to point you in the direction of the cable. But it might be as simple as a quick twist of the connection.

(I hear ya on the 60 mile ride to the dealer. I was like that for a long time. Fortunately, these things are pretty reliable and pretty easy to DIY for most things.)
Scooter Commuter
tiii

Post by tiii »

Fill it up, your guage might read empty with some fuel left in the tank.
dscbuddy

Post by dscbuddy »

Thanks for all the tips and feedback! Gauge is working again after filling with some gas. Tiii had it right, but based on the math, my gauge started to read near empty with half a tank left. So, likely there was a lot less fuel in it than i thought at the dealer. I put about 0.6gallons in and my meter only rose to halfway. I felt that it was getting pretty full, but I figure I'll just add more next time until I am more confident.

Thanks again for the input!
tiii

Post by tiii »

I know they warned my year (09) against overfilling, is this still the case with the current models?
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

Overfilling can lead to vapor lock, but filling up to that silver metal ring a couple of inches below the mouth of the tank should be fine. Just don't "top it off" over that!
dscbuddy

Post by dscbuddy »

Awesome, thanks again for all the info -- this place is great! Got the newbie jitters out of the way and was confidently able to fill close to full with some room left under the inner ring of the tank.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Scooter gas gauges are notoriously inaccurate. Use them as a warning, not a precise measurement. You will quickly learn how many miles you get from a fill-up under your riding conditions. Once you sort that out, your odometer will tell you more about how much fuel you have left, than your gas gauge.
tiii

Post by tiii »

laurfunkle wrote:Overfilling can lead to vapor lock, but filling up to that silver metal ring a couple of inches below the mouth of the tank should be fine. Just don't "top it off" over that!
Great clarification, I filled up yesterday and realize I've been stopping FAR below that ring (by likely a whole quart).

I rode around and knocked out errands and my guage barely moved while previously it would be at 3/4.