How much is a used Buddy 125cc worth?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kenniepark

How much is a used Buddy 125cc worth?

Post by kenniepark »

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a used one but it's difficult to gauge what a good price is. I would want one within the 2010-2013 range with less than 4,000 miles on it. I've read a few forums but anyone here have experience on how many miles these last for (assuming regular maintenance)?

Thank you in advance.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Model year is not really important. Depending on condition I would guess $1500 give or take.
kenniepark

Post by kenniepark »

Thanks KrispyKreme. One other question, there's a 2009 Buddy on eBay with very low miles - http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Genuine-Sc ... 1705236868

Should I be concerned? Are there problems with one that has such low miles?
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Wow that's a great looking Buddy. I guess it was bought for someone that didn't want to ride it. 1500 would be a great buy. 1800 not bad.

I'd like someone else to chime in. :)
bikerbrewer

break in

Post by bikerbrewer »

I would think low miles would be awesome since you get to do the break in. I bought a 170 with 2600 miles and I'm pretty confident the previous owner didn't realize the importance of break in. Of course, that could just be me looking for a reason I'm not going faster.
kenniepark

Post by kenniepark »

Bikerbrewer - I would think 2700 miles is not that low at all but 47 miles for a 2009 Buddy makes me think something must be wrong with it. :shock:
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

kenniepark wrote:Bikerbrewer - I would think 2700 miles is not that low at all but 47 miles for a 2009 Buddy makes me think something must be wrong with it. :shock:
The low miles doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the scooter, just the person who bought it. The bad part is you are going to need to replace the tires, and have some maintance done.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

kenniepark wrote:Bikerbrewer - I would think 2700 miles is not that low at all but 47 miles for a 2009 Buddy makes me think something must be wrong with it. :shock:
I consider 2700 miles low. A Buddy can do 40k easily if maintained. I've heard of one with about 70k.
arnette

Post by arnette »

I'd buy for $1800. Think of the fun you'll have!!
tiii

Post by tiii »

depending on the model, you could be looking at more than that price.
there's a guy selling a 2014 Riot for $2700 locally (super low miles- he just didn't take to scootering)
i wish genuine would produce more of these as that's actually close to the "new price"
kenniepark

Post by kenniepark »

tii - I'd get the Riot except I can't afford the price tag (even used!) =(
skipper20

Re: How much is a used Buddy 125cc worth?

Post by skipper20 »

kenniepark wrote:Hi all,

I'm in the market for a used one but it's difficult to gauge what a good price is. I would want one within the 2010-2013 range with less than 4,000 miles on it. I've read a few forums but anyone here have experience on how many miles these last for (assuming regular maintenance)?

Thank you in advance.
At just 41 miles and basically no use in 6 years, you have to be concerned about such things as gas tank corrosion, seals gone bad, weather cracks in the tire sidewalls and a number of other things that I just can't remember. You're better off looking for one that's got some miles on it and has been properly maintained and serviced over the years. As far as price is concerned, KBB's suggested retail price for an '09 is $1,720 but in the real world a nice one is going for more like $1500-$1600 or less depending on how motivated the seller is. In conclusion, don't worry so much about the scoot's mileage but be concerned about how well it's been taken care of.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia "The Olive Pit"
'08 250i.e. Aprilia 250 Sport City "Big Blue" I
'09 300i Sym Citycom "Big Blue II
kenniepark

Post by kenniepark »

Skipper - Yeah. That's what I was thinking. I am deciding against it. If it's too good to be true... it's usually too good to be true.