MV vs MB - not a criticism

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Raputtak

MV vs MB - not a criticism

Post by Raputtak »

I am a member of both forums (fora?) and when I am on MB I am forever looking for the little icon that tells me I have contributed to a thread. And for the thumbs up and thumbs downs buttons. Jesse added those to MV. He has modded the code to MV out of all recognition, bless his heart.

Other than than I enjoy both sites.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

I'm a member of both as well. And yes, I anxiously await to see if I get a positive. It's also a bit different over there because it is an international forum, and senses of humor vary greatly.

Edit-Let's not put Jess up on a pedestal, now. He doesn't run things over there out of the "kindness in his heart", LOL. It's his house. He makes the rules. Don't like it? Don't walk in the door. :wink:
Syd

Post by Syd »

Maybe not a pedestal, but you have to respect what Jess has done with MV. Not just that it is so popular; it's possibly the easiest forum to use in the tubes*.

*Concertina.net comes close with the post field visible below the last post, but lacks many of the other usability features that MV has.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

MV is also now one of the better vintage vespa forums. NSM is a bit different than the general side :mrgreen:
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Syd wrote:Maybe not a pedestal, but you have to respect what Jess has done with MV. Not just that it is so popular; it's possibly the easiest forum to use in the tubes*.

*Concertina.net comes close with the post field visible below the last post, but lacks many of the other usability features that MV has.

Solid respect for Jess. I had no idea what was in for me as soon as I started riding a scooter. I have met the most cool, honest people in the world while riding. Cool vibe.
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

I'm also a member of MV. It's a really great forum. I am however not all that crazy about the "karma" and roundel ratings as they reward group thinking and punish other thoughts. You know where I stand on censorship from another thread - so please take this observation with a grain of salt. On the other hand MV has been known to banish a few of those cowards who act out their immature impulses with the impunity afforded by the internet. So - maybe something is needed to control those who otherwise have no control over themselves. I was once a member of another scooter forum and was surrounded by a confederacy of dunces. Having already graduated from junior high school well over 50 years ago I left that forum.

Modern Buddy is in a lot of ways more true to the notion of an enthusiast forum. We are much more focused on Genuine products and scooter riding and less likely to wax eloquently about our favorite pair of socks.

There are a large number of interesting people who post on MV and MB such as Ravenlore, Dooglas and yes - even Krispy. I've met others in real life at Amerivespa this last year and found them to be true to character.

Have a safe Memorial Day.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I soak up both boards too. We have a lot of vespas, and a ton of vintage in Denver, so it's nice to hear from all corners of the world.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Elder Scoot wrote:Modern Buddy is in a lot of ways more true to the notion of an enthusiast forum. We are much more focused on Genuine products and scooter riding and less likely to wax eloquently about our favorite pair of socks.
A good observation. I also frequent and enjoy MV, but I can not help observe that some discussions over there have a fairly "sharp" edge. And the less the discussion is about scooters, the "sharper" it is likely to be.
tiii

Post by tiii »

They're both enthusiasts' forums. I like MB better 'cause my Italian scooters aren't Vespas.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

BuddyRaton wrote:MV is also now one of the better vintage vespa forums. NSM is a bit different than the general side :mrgreen:

Those guys are salty over there. :lol:

Gen pop usually stays away!
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Well some times Modern Vespa is about scooters. R
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

still shifting wrote:Well some times Modern Vespa is about scooters. R
As opposed to police brutality? :wink:
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Oh you mean like the Democratic Convention Chicago 1968? I was young and fast on my feet then. And there are issues in our weary world that do not go away. R
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

still shifting wrote:Oh you mean like the Democratic Convention Chicago 1968? I was young and fast on my feet then. And there are issues in our weary world that do not go away. R
That fact should not keep us from striving to do better.

Hunter Thompson wrote down some great words about that convention. 8)
Syd

Post by Syd »

I don't know about NSM, but General Discussions is pretty genteel and usually helpful. When it is about Vespas.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Syd wrote:General Discussions is pretty genteel and usually helpful. When it is about Vespas.
Precisely. :wink:
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Now that Jess is active again, it's mildly surprising how the argumentative types are attempting to spar with him. Some folks never learn.

The new guest banner is pretty amusing. Keep your helmet on, Sam! I have an account there, but I hardly ever log in because there are plenty of folks there with information and I'm just not as motivated to contribute as I am on MB.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

This is a more serious forum. Not much NSR shit. I like it.