Stella or Buddy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skipper20

Stella or Buddy?

Post by skipper20 »

For those of you who own both or who may own one and experienced the other, which one do you prefer the most and why? Or, putting it another way, if you could only own one, which one would you choose and why?

Bill in Seattle
'12 Italia 170i "The Olive Pit"
'08 Aprilia Sport City 250i.e. "Big Blue I"
'09 Sym Citycom 300i "Big Blue II"
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

How mechanically inclined are you?
Clydeo

Buddy or Stella

Post by Clydeo »

I own a Buddy. I have never ridden a Stella, but I have ridden plenty of Vespas, on which it is based. They are both fun. In deciding which one you want to get, there are a number of factors to consider:
1. Is the bike for fun or for commuting (I think most would agree that the Buddy is relatively trouble free and lower maintenance, and would be in most cases a better commuter bike. If it is a ride-it-on-weekends bike, either would do. The Stella is better if you are hauling another person)
2. How tall are you? Taller=Stella, shorter = Buddy, in general.
3. How much do you enjoy "fixing" things. If you like wrenching your bike, get the Stella. If you prefer to have the shop do everything, better get the Buddy (Stellas need a bit of extra loving to keep going sometimes).
4. if you like quick handling, get the Buddy. If you like a "solid feeling vehicle", get the Stella.
5. If you like shifting manually, get a left over Stella. Quickly!

Really, both bikes are great. If you are an experienced rider, The Stella is a unique machine that will be an enjoyable new challenge. The Buddy is a great bike for new riders, and is actually sportier and easier to ride.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

avescoots1134 wrote:How mechanically inclined are you?
I'm limited to oil, filter and spark plug changes. Anything beyond that goes to the pros.
Clydeo

Buddy or Stella

Post by Clydeo »

Then DEFINATELY get a Buddy. I really like Stellas, but they really do need a lot of wrenching. If you're not into that, the Stella experience could be very frustrating!
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

The 2T Stella is good if you rebuild the engine and address the problematic areas. I had one for 4yrs. The 4T Stella has documented longevity issues with the crank but the rest holds together pretty well. The auto is part of the reason why I'm completely bald.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Re: Buddy or Stella

Post by BuddyRaton »

Clydeo wrote:Then DEFINATELY get a Buddy. I really like Stellas, but they really do need a lot of wrenching. If you're not into that, the Stella experience could be very frustrating!

They need some maintenance...but so does a Buddy. Yeah there are some cables to adjust etc but a 2t motor is much simpler than a 4T.

With a 2T Stella..no valves to adjust, no belt, no rollers, no timing chain, no oil filter...etc. I would say maintenance is a wash. If you can change oil and filter you can learn what needs to be done to keep a stock Stella running just fine

I would not say that one is easier than another..they are different.

So the questions really are...which do you want, what will you use it for?

I'm basically a vintage guy...with a Buddy and a Blur. My 64 GS is as reliable as any other scooter. It kinda depends on what mood I'm in, what I'm going out to do, who I'm going with etc.

A Buddy and a Stella are two completely different scooters. The handling, suspension, torque, acceleration, seating is so different that they really can't be compared to each other.

Some people love the storage, handling and ease of a Buddy and can't imagine riding a Stella. Others just love the look and feel of the Classic style scooter and would never get on a twist and go. Nobody is right...nobody is wrong and unfortunately...nobody can make that decision for you!

Keep asking questions, go sit on some scooters, kick some tires and keep us updated!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
toot

Post by toot »

It all depends on the ride you want. I have had both. Sold my Stella because it was just really useless to me. Barely goes up a steep grade rides really old school. Fun if you are just wanting that vintage feel. The buddy is more reliable and can get you anywhere you want to go. I ride the Blackjack version and it is a blast. The Stella could never do what the buddy does. But if you decide on the Stella do not get the 4 stroke
Dooglas

Re: Buddy or Stella

Post by Dooglas »

BuddyRaton wrote:A Buddy and a Stella are two completely different scooters. The handling, suspension, torque, acceleration, seating is so different that they really can't be compared to each other.
I agree with this point. If a rider is wavering back and forth between a Buddy and a Stella, they need to sort out the experience they wish to have. The two are very different rides.

I don't agree that the two scooters require a similar amount of maintenance. I've owned both and found the Stella to be much more "needy". We have an 8 year old 125 Buddy in the garage. It has never needed anything except regular consumables - oil, filters, belt, tires, battery, etc.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Sit on, and if possible ride them both.

Pick the one that 'Feels' right to you.

Don't let people scare you off from the Stella, The 4T's are great bikes and so were the older 2T bikes.

For me the Stella is the most comfortable bike I own, 2nd to it is my GT200 Vespa.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

JohnKiniston wrote:Sit on, and if possible ride them both.

Pick the one that 'Feels' right to you.

Don't let people scare you off from the Stella, The 4T's are great bikes and so were the older 2T bikes.

For me the Stella is the most comfortable bike I own, 2nd to it is my GT200 Vespa.
Actually I wasn't thinking of buying either as (1) I already own a Buddy and (2) I'm not that crazy about manually shifting a scooter ala Stella. I knew that it was an apples and oranges comparison but I was just curious about you joint owners and your preferences. I now see that each bike suits a particular riding style and mechanical ability. Since my wrenching skills are limited, I'm even more OK with my 170i Italia. Thanks for all your inputs and happy scooting.

Bill in Seattle
'12 Italia 170i "The Olive Pit"
'08 Aprilia Sport City 250i.e. "Big Blue I"
'09 Sym Citycom 300i "Big Blue II"
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I think that the mechanical aspect of owning a Stella 4T isn't as bad as it's being led to believe. I've had my Stella for 2 years now and really the only wrenching I've done is adding a windshield, back rack and changed an inner clutch cable. With all the knowledge on the web, owning a Stella is easier than it seems.....
Tam Tam

Had both

Post by Tam Tam »

I had a blackjack and a Stella 2t. And I agree with the folk who say they are two very different machines.
If I could only have one? The blackjack by a 51% majority. Easier to handle, lighter, could carry more, very dependable. Overall, the buddy blackjack is the best scooter I've ever owned.
"When you're racing, that's when you're really alive. Everything else...everything...just becomes waiting to race." - Steve McQueen
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

I really Like shifting. It is silly but true. R
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

I've not owned a Buddy but I did sell my Stella and buy a Hooligan. Even though I had the new 125 auto - the performance, ride and handling were too old school for me. I loved the look - but for me that was not enough of what I expect out of a bike. There are many folks who swear by them (perhaps at them too) so my opinion is just my opinion.

Try to ride both bikes and see which appeals to you.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Elder Scoot wrote:I've not owned a Buddy but I did sell my Stella and buy a Hooligan. Even though I had the new 125 auto - the performance, ride and handling were too old school for me. I loved the look - but for me that was not enough of what I expect out of a bike. There are many folks who swear by them (perhaps at them too) so my opinion is just my opinion.

After sitting on a Stella in the dealer's showroom and dry shifting it, I decided to switch gears (pardon the pun) and I put a deposit on a matte green Hooligan also in the same showroom. It comes with windshield, rear rack and matching matte green top case. Pick up day is Tuesday. I feel good about it as the Stella just didn't feel right. I guess I'm more of a new school guy than an old school guy. Anyway, after I ride the Hooligan, I'll post a report with pictures if I can figure out how to get them in. Thanks to all of you who provided inputs. This is truly a great forum.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'14 170i Hooligan (as of Tuesday, 6/9)
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Elder Scoot wrote:I've not owned a Buddy but I did sell my Stella and buy a Hooligan. Even though I had the new 125 auto - the performance, ride and handling were too old school for me. I loved the look - but for me that was not enough of what I expect out of a bike. There are many folks who swear by them (perhaps at them too) so my opinion is just my opinion.

After sitting on a Stella in the dealer's showroom and dry shifting it, I decided to switch gears (pardon the pun) and I put a deposit on a matte green Hooligan also in the same showroom. It comes with windshield, rear rack and matching matte green top case. Pick up day is Tuesday. I feel good about it as the Stella just didn't feel right. I guess I'm more of a new school guy than an old school guy. Anyway, after I ride the Hooligan, I'll post a report with pictures if I can figure out how to get them in. Thanks to all of you who provided inputs. This is truly a great forum.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
arnette

Post by arnette »

skipper20 wrote:
After sitting on a Stella in the dealer's showroom and dry shifting it, I decided to switch gears (pardon the pun) and I put a deposit on a matte green Hooligan
Congrats!

Sounds like a great decision. I had a similar dilemma where I was certain that I wanted a Stella for the looks and old-skool scooter nostalgia but in the end, opted for a new 125 Buddy.
I'm certainly glad I went the way I did... I love the lightness and ease of use. Not sure I would have had the same enjoyment from the Stella other than gazing at it from across a parking lot.

Ride on!
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

skipper20 wrote: After sitting on a Stella in the dealer's showroom and dry shifting it, I decided to switch gears (pardon the pun)
With 'Dry Shifting' were you pushing or rocking the bike forward and backwards when you try it?

The wheel has to be moving to shift, Otherwise you are stretching cables and forcing things.
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

arnette

Post by arnette »

Stella apologists! Run!!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

arnette wrote:Stella apologists! Run!!
Those who don't give a shift don't know what they're missing (besides a foot brake and a clutch lever). :wink:
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Mmmn Hooligan, hope I get one some day soon. R