Bluetooth Headset Suggestions?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

laurfunkle

Bluetooth Headset Suggestions?

Post by laurfunkle »

Hey all!

My boyfriend recently purchased his first scooter (Hooligan 170i) and I'm looking into getting us bluetooth headsets so we can go on longer rides and stay in communication a little easier than using hand gestures :P . Anyone have any suggestions on/experience with decent, easy to use BT headsets?

I have 2 LS2 helmets, an OF569 and a FF386 (modular) and he has the FF386.

Thanks in advance!
Crazy88s

Post by Crazy88s »

The Sena 10c it's a little on the pricey side but it has a built in action camera if you don't care about the action can get the Sena 20s it has blue tooth 4.0 witch means it will pair to any other headset on the market (only Sena has this option
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I have the Sena 5-FM. Since I'm almost always solo, the FM radio option is nice and well-thought-out. I have the intercom capabilities, and a recent software upgrade added some cross-brand functionality.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Crazy88s

Post by Crazy88s »

PeteH wrote:I have the Sena 5-FM. Since I'm almost always solo, the FM radio option is nice and well-thought-out. I have the intercom capabilities, and a recent software upgrade added some cross-brand functionality.
Trust me, save up and upgrade you won't regret it with the 20s/10c you get the ability to have the FM radio, control what headsets your connected to and so much more (a lot better range for one) and Sena Prism support
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Be sure to get a Sena just in case you meet up with other riders that also have Senas. It's the most common brand. I have a SMH10R and have enjoyed it. I plan on upgrading sometime in the future.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Scala seems a bit more common with some of the monster-scoot riders around here. Pricey. But if you can afford the maxi...
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
ModernMike

Post by ModernMike »

I've been using a Sena SMH 10 set for a couple years now. I also have a Sena SM 10 Bluetooth dongle that I can connect to the radio on my BMW, or connect a phone or iPod and stick it in my pocket. The set up works very well and is quite versatile.
2014 Buddy 170i (2) One for GF
2012 BMW R1200RT
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

I have an SMH-10 as two 2 of my riding buddies. Another friend just switched form a Scala to a Sena (he went with the SMH-20) so as to make group communication better.

The units work great for us. Range is very good.

The SMH-10, SMH-5, and SMH-5FM can be purchased in dual-packs for less than each individually. The SMH-5 dual pack is the least expensive way to go.

The advantage of the "10" over the "5" is you can connect more units together to intercom and longer range. Perhaps longer battery life. The 5 FM adds FM radio! My SMH-10 does not have FM radio, and although it would be nice to have, I just stream music from my phone or GPS if needed.

If you need intercom just for the two of you, you probably cannot go wrong with any of the above.
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

Thanks y'all! Was definitely looking into the Sena SMH10s as a starting point for the headsets. They seems to have the features that we'd need and at under $300 for a dual set I'm pretty sold. Then we can both upgrade individually down the line if we want.

Although the FM capability on the SMH5 seems nice I'm not sure if I'd really use it. I would probably stick to my own music from my phone.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

+1 on the Sena SMH-5FM. I haven't used it for intercom yet but for phone and FM radio, it's great.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

FWIW, I prefer the Sena SMH-10R which is thinner because it has a separate battery pack that mounts at the back of the helmet. Lets 2 full face helmets fit in my topcase on the bigger scoots which the SMH-10 doesn't.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Been using the SMH 10 for a few years. The dual sets a are a great value, if you have a choice, get the ones with the built in boom mike, it's a little less wires to run around and works great on full face, 3/4 face helmets. One of these days I might upgrade to a 20 just so more than 4 people can chat at once, and having the SENA app for your phone to set pairings looks pretty cool.