Lifespan of a Prima rear rack.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DeeDee

Lifespan of a Prima rear rack.

Post by DeeDee »

Went to take my scooter off the center stand yesterday morning like I usually do. Grab the rear rack and handle bar and heave forward. My top case was flapping in the wind. My 9 month old prima rack was no longer connected. It was broke clean at both bends of the cross support. Not at the welds at the bends. I have no idea when this happened. I didn't hit a pot hole, didn't hear a snap, nothing. Now that I think of it, this is about the 5th rear rack I've seen fall apart in the last 6 months. I know the older design with the little tab coming off of the round cross member was prone to break. Is anyone else out there seeing this? What a horrible design.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Interesting. By a funny coincidence, I got an e-mail today from the Royal Enfield store touting their new-and-improved motorcycle rack featuring "clean" welds. To emphasize the point, they even included a close-up photo of a weld. By no means am I an authority on welding quality, but I assume this is quality to which the Genuine racks should aspire, right?
Attachments
Enfield Rack Weld.jpg
Enfield Rack Weld.jpg (32.03 KiB) Viewed 1892 times
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Never had one break on the girls scooters that primarily hold their helmets when NOT riding, yet they do carry groceries from the store.

Now mine was another story. We 'tested' pours by adding several 3-ring binders stuffed full of paper and other items that pushed the weight limits and after a really horrible 30 mile trip in a heavy driving downpour hitting a few potholes (could not see them in the flooding water) and finally making it home the rack was broke loose at the lower cross bar that was bolted to the frame. We took it to our shop and welded a 3/8" x 1" solid steel cross member that fixed the problem and never had a problem since no matter what we carried on it or in the top case.

We won't ask if the total weight was over the 8 pounds it is rated for - nope, never, wouldn't do that.

The Prima welds are fine and look great - we (being a general term) just abuse them.
Attachments
Prima rear rack mod.jpg
Prima rear rack mod.jpg (151.96 KiB) Viewed 1874 times
TCaruso

Post by TCaruso »

Going into my 4th summer without a problem. I've got rod holders mounted to the end of the rack.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

MYSCTR wrote:... We took it to our shop and welded a 3/8" x 1" solid steel cross member that fixed the problem and never had a problem since no matter what we carried on it or in the top case.
That's a nice-looking mod you did! Very professional looking. Thanks for sharing that pic.
Syd

Post by Syd »

jrsjr wrote:Interesting. By a funny coincidence, I got an e-mail today from the Royal Enfield store touting their new-and-improved motorcycle rack featuring "clean" welds. To emphasize the point, they even included a close-up photo of a weld. By no means am I an authority on welding quality, but I assume this is quality to which the Genuine racks should aspire, right?
They're proud of that! Hahahaha.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Syd wrote:
jrsjr wrote:Interesting. By a funny coincidence, I got an e-mail today from the Royal Enfield store touting their new-and-improved motorcycle rack featuring "clean" welds. To emphasize the point, they even included a close-up photo of a weld. By no means am I an authority on welding quality, but I assume this is quality to which the Genuine racks should aspire, right?
I was thinking the same thing. Most of the bead looks like it's sitting on top of the tube rather than penetrating the metal. :?
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

babblefish wrote:
Syd wrote:
I was thinking the same thing. Most of the bead looks like it's sitting on top of the tube rather than penetrating the metal. :?
Generally that is a sign of MIG (bead) welding as it is a cheaper easier alternative when welding larger projects (or trying to keep costs down). TIG welding actually melts the steel or metals together and although much slower comes out much cleaner without the larger looking bead buildup.

The picture looks like they are showing off their bead (MIG) welding as it is a good (consistent) bead yet it is generally considered proper to TIG weld stainless as it would be a much stronger weld. In fact the metal should bend or distort well before any of the welded joints should break if these racks were all TIG welded.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

On my rack the welds were 100% in tact. It broke cleanly at both bends. I've also seen them break at the center hole of the cross support.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I broke one and replaced it. I think it was 2 years old.

DeeDee helped me repair the new one.

then it broke.

Then we found the welds in the FRAME were broken, so he helped me drill through the frame.

Now the 3rd bolt above the tail light broke....

I gave up and put some bungee cord on there to help it. I'm not buying another rack. It's a nice spot to put the top case and store my helmet, but that's it.

That being said, I also have over 15k miles on my scoot, had a very minor rear-end incident.

Denver is not known for fantastic roadways.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I'm on my third. Second one broke in NOLA. The GIVI top case went tumbling at about 30mph. That case is tough! A few scratches and one logo sticker came off...that was it.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

skully93 wrote:I broke one and replaced it. I think it was 2 years old.

DeeDee helped me repair the new one.

then it broke.

Then we found the welds in the FRAME were broken, so he helped me drill through the frame.

Now the 3rd bolt above the tail light broke....

I gave up and put some bungee cord on there to help it. I'm not buying another rack. It's a nice spot to put the top case and store my helmet, but that's it.

That being said, I also have over 15k miles on my scoot, had a very minor rear-end incident.

Denver is not known for fantastic roadways.
The 3rd bolt is attached to a removable bracket so you can take it off and drill it out to attach new hardware.

I haven't seen a Prima rack break yet but I've noticed they are prone to corrosion.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

DeeDee wrote:On my rack the welds were 100% in tact. It broke cleanly at both bends. I've also seen them break at the center hole of the cross support.
Ya know... that rack does not double as a jump seat. hehe
craftynerd

Post by craftynerd »

I'm almost at two years with my rear rack - pretty sure I've overloaded it on a number of occasions (stupid heavy work laptops!), but so far, no problems... *knocks on wood*
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Had mine for 9 years... no problems.
Scooter Commuter
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

sunshinen wrote:Had mine for 9 years... no problems.
:shock: Has it really been 9 years since the 2006 Buddy came out? Holy crap, that decade went by fast!
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

jrsjr wrote:
:shock: Has it really been 9 years since the 2006 Buddy came out? Holy crap, that decade went by fast!
I know. Time flies.

I was ready to pounce when the 125 came out. I bought mine right out of a showroom window. The original sunset with the sunset (not tan) interior panels.
Scooter Commuter
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

sunshinen wrote:
jrsjr wrote:
I know. Time flies.

I was ready to pounce when the 125 came out. I bought mine right out of a showroom window. The original sunset with the sunset (not tan) interior panels.
Alwawys good to see the Vintage Buddy owners still hanging around.

I can remember when my cream (retired color) would be the only one at a rally.

We hit Amerivespa and brought the Buddy. There were a bunch of them there. One person dis ask if I had modified it. Yeah the BBK carb etc. "No the headlight...how did you make it smaller?"

If you look back to the "old" posts rack problems were fairly common and a redesigned rack was produced. There were a lot of comments about the headlight...which I have always found to be fine...and thus the larger starting in 07.

We were saying the same thing on the way back "The Buddy is 9 years old...how did that happen?

The Sunset edition was a sweet looking scooter! But cream...always rises to the top!

06 Buddy 125 going over the bricks at IMS! Followed by the Flying Rat. Amerivespa 2015 Best Rat Bike!
Attachments
Rat at Bricks crop comp.jpg
Rat at Bricks crop comp.jpg (78.52 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
Buddy at bricks crop.jpg
Buddy at bricks crop.jpg (136.44 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

TCaruso wrote:Going into my 4th summer without a problem. I've got rod holders mounted to the end of the rack.
I'd really like to see a pic of that. I'm getting ready to relocate to Kitty Hawk, N.C., and fishing is a passion.