shiny vs matte plastic?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Crystal

shiny vs matte plastic?

Post by Crystal »

For those who own a Buddy or have seen them, can I get your feedback on something?

I haven't seen one in person yet, and I was talking with a friend who saw a pink Buddy at her local dealer. She pointed out something to me that i hadn't noticed in photos until she pointed it out - that there is the shiny plastic on some of the panels, and then there is matte plastic on the floorboard and inside basket, etc. Once she told me this, then I went back and looked at Jess's pics and others and then it was noticeable.

On Jess's scooter, the two different kinds of panels looked just fine together - like I said, not noticeable until I was told about them. But in my friend's opinion, the two pinks didn't work well together, and it was enough to turn her off to the pink version of the Buddy. In photos they look fine to me, but I'm curious if this shiny/matte contrast is something that others have noticed and are bugged by?
jess

Post by jess »

Yeah, it's definitely two-tone orange. I haven't seen the other colors in person, so I don't know how they compare.

Aesthetically, it doesn't bother me at all. I'm planning some artification to ours, though, and the matte plastic will present some adhesive obstacles with the reflective tape I'm planning on using. I might have to use actual paint on those parts and adhesive tape on the shiny parts.
ChicagoMatt

Post by ChicagoMatt »

Last weekend, I made my reservation on an orange 50cc Buddy at Scooterworks in Chicago. I was told that on the 50ccs they are modifying the interior panel color to match the brown color of the seat. It's very difficult to color match glossy and matte colors. I found this to be true even in the world of print design. However, I really don't think the interior panel color is a problem. And, if it bothers you, just opt for the black because...well, black is black.
paige

Post by paige »

The shiny orange is ever so slightly metallic, while the matte is just orange. The pink shiny part is just deep pink, not metallic. This makes it less of a match to the matte parts, in my opinion. The contrast of the oranges is ok, while the pinks just look like they don't quite match. Black is black with grey and silver accents.
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

I didn't notice the pink on pink very much on the two that I saw, since I wouldn't be riding it. The orange looks like a deliberate choice. As does the black. The cream colored My BuBu I saw at Indy also looked nice. Many plastic bodied scoots use matte finished plastics on the "interior" because they don't show scratches and scuffs as much.
- Bryce
ellen

Black is the New Black

Post by ellen »

Here are a few pictures showing the shiny vs the matte finish.

Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Colors aren't as off as shown in the pictures. It was probably the flash.

This is a 125. The 125 was removed for sidewalk parking :P
xkennx

Post by xkennx »

Here are some more higher res pics to show the two tone. Personally I think it really looks good on the Orange and Black versions. (Dont forget we are going to be getting a creme color soon)

we are going to rewire the stock turn signals in today or Monday and I'll post pics of that if anyone wants.
06 Gen Scooters Buddy 125 (sold)
05 Gen Scooters Stella w/sidecar (sold)
05 Vespa ET8
80 Vespa P200 w/ Polini 208
80 Vespa P200 w/ Malossi 210
74 Vespa Sprint 125
74 Vespa Primaveria 125 (broke)
56 Labretta LD 125 (sold)
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

xkennx wrote: we are going to rewire the stock turn signals in today or Monday and I'll post pics of that if anyone wants.
I'd definitely like to see pictures of that. Thanks!

~ Shellee
Tikka Masala

Post by Tikka Masala »

Thanks for those pics xkennx. I can't wait to see the Creme w/ Tan seat!

Heck yeah ... we would love to see and here a how to of your rewire job of the stock turn signals. Please start a new thread with them and Jess can make it a sticky or maybe the first Tech Lib item :lol:
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

thanks to everyone for the replies and the photos! - Crystal
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I <3 the orange Buddy (and the black Buddy). I still think the pink one is going to make a lot of folks happy.
paige

Post by paige »

Crystal, does this mean there is a Buddy seatcover in my future?
peabody99

creme?

Post by peabody99 »

hello -When is the creme color expected? that sounds really nice. Will it me more off white or tannish? I actually think ALL the Buddy's look better in "person" than in pictures-esp the pink. We are seriously thinking about a second Buddy (just got the black one yesterday!) and creme sounds great, but if we are going to do this, I cannot wait until next year!
SCOOTINPINK

pink scooter plastic

Post by SCOOTINPINK »

I have the pink Buddy and yes, you can see the difference but not enough to make me not the pink one. I'm guessing the dull pink on the floor won't scratch as easy.
My husband paints custom motorcycles/choppers and we plan to paint my Buddy soon.
Shellee

Re: pink scooter plastic

Post by Shellee »

SCOOTINPINK wrote:My husband paints custom motorcycles/choppers and we plan to paint my Buddy soon.
Wow!! You are lucky!! What kind of paint job do you have in mind? Or wait..... surprise us with pictures, ok?? :D

~ Shellee