Storing buddy on self storage while on vacation?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tayjor

Storing buddy on self storage while on vacation?

Post by tayjor »

Hi Guys!! I am planning a small vacation and is looking for a location to store my buddy. I tried possibility of storing in a friend's garage, but he is also going out of station. I got an idea to store it in a self storage facility like Jiffy Storage where there is facility to store vehicles. But I am a little worried about it and is looking for experience by anyone who does store vehicles in self storage facilities. Thanks!!
skipper20

Re: Storing buddy on self storage while on vacation?

Post by skipper20 »

tayjor wrote:Hi Guys!! I am planning a small vacation and is looking for a location to store my buddy. I tried possibility of storing in a friend's garage, but he is also going out of station. I got an idea to store it in a self storage facility like Jiffy Storage where there is facility to store vehicles. But I am a little worried about it and is looking for experience by anyone who does store vehicles in self storage facilities. Thanks!!
How long are you going to be on vacation and where do you keep the scooter when you're not on vacation?

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'14 170i Hooligan
tayjor

Post by tayjor »

Thank you for the reply! My vacation will be for about 2 to 3 weeks. My first preference to store it was in a friend's garage nearby home, but as he is also not at home, I am considering self storage facilities that provide storage for vehicles. Any alternative suggestions are also welcome.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

A self-storage unit is my ''garage'' all the time right now. Put on a dust cover, hook up your battery tender if the unit has a light socket or outlet, lock it up and go on vacation!
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

tayjor wrote:Thank you for the reply! My vacation will be for about 2 to 3 weeks. My first preference to store it was in a friend's garage nearby home, but as he is also not at home, I am considering self storage facilities that provide storage for vehicles. Any alternative suggestions are also welcome.
OK, 2 - 3 weeks is no big deal. If the battery is fully charged when you wheel it in to the storage unit, you'll be fine. And, yes, a self-storage facility with a locked gate at night sounds ideal. If the scoot is going to be out in the open, a dust cover is a must. Enjoy your vacation!

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'14 170i Hooligan
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

No, Bill! You store it in a locked unit. 5 x 8 would be the minimum size.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Some/many storage facilities will not let you store a gas powered vehicle due to the fumes/fire/etc. Can you roll it into your house/apt/room?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

You likely won't need to worry about a 'tender' if the battery is in good health.
Where does your scooter regularly 'sleep at night'?
Throw a cover over it to keep the weather off and enjoy your trip.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I have stored scooters in a self storage place in the past. For that brief of time, you should be fine.
Scooter Commuter
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

A self-storage unit is my "garage". Many others have their cars, boats, and motorcycles stored in units all around me.
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

might want to put fuel stabilizer in the tank and slosh around a bit (I have a moto that sat for 2-3 weeks last summer with untreated gas and ended up with some crappy fuel issues that required a trip to the shop); start scoot and run for a few minutes to get stabilized gas into the fuel system; fully charge battery before ride to storage unit; pack her away and enjoy your vacation!
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?