Potential buddy owner...or grom...or buddy...or grom....argh

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

supremekizzle

Potential buddy owner...or grom...or buddy...or grom....argh

Post by supremekizzle »

Hey guys went and test rode a buddy 125 today and a Honda Grom and am having the hardest time deciding between the two. I can only assume that on a buddy forum the overwhelming consensus is going to be go buddy, but I'm hoping to find some former (or current) motorcycle owners that would know the struggle a little more. I've had a long shakey relationship with motorcycles through the years. When I was 16 I bought a 600cc GSXR crotchrocket. Smart.... I know.... Thing scared the crap out of me so I sold it before I could get into an accident. Several years later I took a motorcycle safety riding course and bought a ninja 250, however, I found dealing with a motorcycle exhausting and tiresome. It seemed like a chore whenever I wanted to go anyware as it was tall and heavy. I'm not small (5' 10" 200lbs) and could flatfoot the bike, but it just felt like a pain to ride and I was still scared of the bike. Even though it was only a 250 and I was big enough for it, it still felt unwieldy. Going to the store would involve starting the bike, choking it to warm it, balancing it by straddling it and getting on and off swinging my leg wasn't the most convenient. Not that I'm not nimble, just an awkward thing to do. Hard to really explain, but do any motorcycle owners know what I'm talking about? Riding it is a chore?

Today I lost my scooter virginity. I had never ridden one before so I went to the dealer and tried out a 125 Buddy. Thing is fun. Most of all it's convenient. Literally get on and go. Seating position is comfy and having a outlet to charge my phone? Get outta town!!! That is just too cool! I liked it quite a bit, but then the salseman showed me the Grom. Why did I have to see this thing?!?! Going in, I was getting a scooter. Full stop. But test riding the Grom was such an experience! All of my preconceived notions regarding bikes were thrown out the window. Thing had pep. Got up to speed quicker than the buddy and for once I didn't feel like I was hanging on while the bike went where it did. I was actually controlling the machine. It was at my mercy. I felt safe and most of all I felt cool. Thing has a charm to it that's indescribable until you ride one. Putting your leg over such a short bike isn't weird and I didn't feel like I had to balance it at stop signs.

So now I arrive at this crossroads. I have never had such a hard time picking something in my life. On one hand, the Buddy is so convenient. Twist and go. Stopping and starting couldn't be easier. Would be awesome in the traffic. Storage and convenience is awesome. As is feeling like your sitting in a chair instead of riding something. Couldn't be more comfortable. But dat Grom tho. Such fun! Even if less comfortable straddling something vs sitting relaxed. The cool factor is pretty even with a little more to the Grom. I literally have no idea what to do! The price is even within $400. So I would like some pros and cons from some former or current motorcycle owners and why they may prefer their scooters or bikes more.

Btw- hello and thanks for sitting through my initial post which also happens to be a novella ;)

TL;DR- Grom and Buddy 125 both freaking sweet, and I have no idea which to buy.

Last edited by supremekizzle on Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

I was seriously looking at Groms too. Couldn't decide. Found a new 2014 Buddy 170i for the same price & got it. Just a little heavier than the Grom. For me it was the wider seat & no gears that sold me. Plus after 7 motorcycles & no scooters I wanted something different. Having a blast on it.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Sounds like you would be better off with the Buddy for general use yet still have that urge to have the From although you would not want that as a daily rider for reasons you said (like straddling). The Grom is so small, the Buddy may be better suited for general riding for you.

Of course this assumes you are going to be a daily rider and commute on your selection. If this is just for fun then go with the Grom. Maybe riding the Grom would build your confidence to move into something larger down the road.

Have fun with it - whichever one you decide.

Came across this interesting review: https://youtu.be/THJH1QPSNrw

Or Gromkhana: The Grom Escape https://youtu.be/6SVKlG9Iiak

Edit:

Just saw the pictures and you are setting on a 2009 Buddy Blackjack 150 with some great aftermarket adds included. I was going to suggest you try the 170i as it is fuel injected, yet if they have a Blackjack still 'new' from 2009, I would be hard pressed to pass that up!
Last edited by MYSCTR on Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
supremekizzle

Post by supremekizzle »

Thanks for the quick replies! I added some photos of me on each. The highest speed road I'd go on is 40 mph, so figure 50 tops. That's only for 2 miles on my way to work. Everything else is in town stop and go at 30 mph, that's why the buddy is appealing and makes this decision so hard. It'd be nice to turn and go and stop all without using my feet.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Though I like the looks of the Grom, personally I prefer a scooter for everyday use because of the built-in storage and small amount of weather protection.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
supremekizzle

Post by supremekizzle »

Yeah they had already put the Buddy 125 away, the buddy 125 that I got approved for financing and had the paperwork ready to go, but had to pull back because of the Grom. The blackjack was still out and pretty much the same size. They suggested the blackjack, but it's more than the Grom and much older. Don't really need the extra 25cc.
Clydeo

Which one?

Post by Clydeo »

You really can't go wrong with either bike. They are both great.
so it really comes down to just a couple of questions:
1 is it for practical transportation or fun? If it is for practical transportation, go with the Buddy! It is MUCH easier to go to the store, buy some stuff, and then place the bags on the hook than it is to try and tie stuff down on the bike. And in any environment where there is traffic, the CVT is a whole lot better than the 4 speed transmission on the Grom. If it is for fun, I would choose the Grom. The Buddy is a LOT of fun, too, but there is just something about working you way through a manual gear box on a curvy road that the CVT can't match. Plus the Grom is a little bit quicker than the Buddy, but just a little. If I was going to carry a passenger, tho, I would choose the Buddy. But once again, the differences would be minor: both bikes are quite small.
2. Which bike better fits you better? Sit on both bikes for an hour or so. Which one feels more comfortable? The Grom is tight in all of its dimensions. It does not look like it would be comfortable for very long. On the Buddy, I can move around a bit, change positions, and stay more comfortable. I can ride the Buddy until the tank needs a refill (about 120 miles). I doubt I could stay on the Grom that long!
A couple of other bikes to check out: the Sym Wolf 150, which is a lightweight motorcycle similar to the Grom in a lot of ways, but with full wheels that make it MUCH more stable that a scooter; and a Suzuki TU250, which is a light weight highway capable motircycle that is much easier (and more comfortable!) to ride than your Ninja was. I know: I own both a TU and a ninja 250, and the TU is a much better choice for a new rider.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Buddy. Much more comfortable and like everyone else said... Storage.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

The Grom is the better bike, of course. If you found the Ninja 250 to be too much of an annoyance during daily errands, the Grom isn't going to be much better.

From your description it sounds like you need the Buddy.
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

Why not both! They each fill a niche and it's great to have a backup if one bike is in for service, or if you just want variety.

I have been eying the Grom. Looks like a hoot to ride. They have now been out long enough that they are showing up in the used market. Also, there are a ton of aftermarket and customization parts, so you can really make it your own.

You probably can't go wrong with either.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I've ridden both. I agree with what you said, motorcycles are a chore to ride around town which is where most folks end up doing most of their riding. It sounds like that was the case for you, too. I dunno, I read your posts carefully and thought hard about the different decision factors. This one is a close call. In the end, it came down to this. I showed the thread to my wife. She looked at the photographs and said, "It's obvious that guy looks happier on the scooter." :wink:
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

jrsjr wrote: "It's obvious that guy looks happier on the scooter." :wink:
Bingo!
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I too am fascinated by the Grom. But, for pure utility, comfort, and ease of use, the scooter wins hands down.

If you commute, run short errands, get stuck in rush hour, or need to carry things, the scooter wins every time.

For pure fun, it's a tie.

For image or cool factor, the Grom wins.

For resale, I'm not sure.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Old guy wisdom I'd share with my own kid...
Buy the utilitarian scoot'. Later, if it turns out that you still have a yearning for the Grom, buy it.
You'll find true bargains on used Buddy's. The Grom is still hot and not losing initial value so there are not many (if any) bargains on them.
Since you're buying low, you'll not lose much when you choose to sell it. As is the case with almost all depreciating assets (almost all vehicles), the long you use it the less you lose.
supremekizzle

Post by supremekizzle »

Well, I'll be seeing a lot more of you folks as I have decided on a buddy!!! If I'm still itching next spring, I'll grab a Grom, but for now it's the buddy! Good thing I didn't sign those papers for the $3500 OTD buddy at my dealer, because I found an '09 Buddy 125 on CL for $1500 with 800 miles. That saves me $2000 for a Grom next spring :D :D :D thanks for all the input guys. This seems like a real chill, laid back forum that I hope to spend quite of bit of time on. :wink: :wink:
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

You have chosen wisely, grasshopper! I to love the Grom but cant justify owning one. Someone gave me a Honda CT70 (the Groms grandpa) and I never went to pick it up, and I bought two more Buddys since the Grom has been released. Then again that school bus yellow Grom is hot! But the Buddy came in a funky yellow also so the Buddy is still way better! Seriously, congrats!
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

sc00ter wrote:You have chosen wisely, grasshopper! I to love the Grom but cant justify owning one. Someone gave me a Honda CT70 (the Groms grandpa) and I never went to pick it up, and I bought two more Buddys since the Grom has been released. Then again that school bus yellow Grom is hot! But the Buddy came in a funky yellow also so the Buddy is still way better! Seriously, congrats!
Yeah, ya done right!

:lol:

When it comes down to it there will always be that itch for a second one, so the Grom may be it. Or by next year you may have your eye on something else.

to "scooter fever"!

When the Grom came out I thought, "Oh, yeah, the bike for me!" Went to see it and it was smaller than my Honda Met. NO place to even strap on a tail pack. And that shifting? Been there done that. Naw to the Grom, even though they are so cool looking.

Enjoy your Buddy and meanwhile check out the Roughhouse as a second scooter. Darn cool ride and if I could find one to buy around here I would snatch one up!
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
2stroker

Post by 2stroker »

Hey, kizzle, rochester, ny?
supremekizzle

Post by supremekizzle »

2stroker wrote:Hey, kizzle, rochester, ny?

Minnesota :)
2stroker

Post by 2stroker »

Ha, I was gonna suggest we meet up for a ride sometime, but...maybe not... :)
ktgscooter

Post by ktgscooter »

I own both a 170i and a HD 1200. I ride alot of city and find the Buddy so convenient and just plain fun every time. FYI I rode the Buddy from San Francisco to LA along the pacific coast highway just because I could.
MGM

Post by MGM »

BTW. The buddy you're on is a Black Jack. It's a 150 with upgraded suspension and front brakes. I have a black Jack and would recommend without hesitation. That' s the good news. The bad is that it is probably a 2009 model and not part of the current lineup. Make sure it's priced accordingly.
supremekizzle

Post by supremekizzle »

I bought my scooter today!!!! Not from the dealer though. I decided to go used and save some cash. I had this Genuine Buddy 125 lined up and ready to go. Less than a thousand miles and barely used. The lady on Craigslist said she'd hold it for me until Wednesday until the personal loan came through. Texted her Wednesday, she sold it Monday. WTF!!! :x :cry: searched some more on Craigslist and found my new scooter. A Kymco :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: sorry guys.... I know it's a buddy forum, but it was cheap!!!!!! $700 for a 2010 with 5,000 miles. Holy Hannah, to think I was about to sign the papers at the dealer for a brand new one $3,500 out the door. I figured $700 wasn't so bad to pay to see if I liked scooting around. Worse comes to worse I sell it for half next year. Best thing about getting such a cheap scoot? I'm buying a Grom in the spring! I can now have my cake and eat it to. :D :wink: :D :wink: thanks for all your help guys and gals.
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

Congrats on finding yourself a scoot that you're happy with! What model did you end up getting?
Syd

Post by Syd »

Congrats, supremekizzle! Now you need to change the Undetermined in your profile!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
supremekizzle

Post by supremekizzle »

Is anyone here familiar with kymcos? Kinda wishing I went buddy... Parts are not going to be fun to find :(
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I went the Kymco route. Bought a 2012 Yager GT200 and love it. Just about to roll 10K and it still runs perfect. I'm assuming at your price point that you got an Agility 125?

Kymco has a decent dealer network. According to their site, there's a place in Mazeppa called Motoproz.

You can also search parts at http://www.kymcopartsonline.com/ .

Need info, try http://www.kymcoforum.com/ . It's not quite as active a community as MB, but there's plenty of good info there.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
supremekizzle

Post by supremekizzle »

az_slynch wrote:I went the Kymco route. Bought a 2012 Yager GT200 and love it. Just about to roll 10K and it still runs perfect. I'm assuming at your price point that you got an Agility 125?

Kymco has a decent dealer network. According to their site, there's a place in Mazeppa called Motoproz.

Need info, try http://www.kymcoforum.com/ . It's not quite as active a community as MB, but there's plenty of good info there.
Thanks for the info. It's actually a 2009 Super 8 150
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

supremekizzle wrote:Is anyone here familiar with kymcos? Kinda wishing I went buddy... Parts are not going to be fun to find :(
Not to worry, Kymco is one of the big 2 Taiwaneese scooter/motorcycle companies. Sym is the other one. They make quality products for themselves and others like BMW.
supremekizzle

Post by supremekizzle »

My Kymco Super 8 150 that I picked up for $800 :) :) :) :)
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Very nice! Like the Yoshi pipe! Kymco's are great scoots, so you did well. Ride it like you stole it!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

supremekizzle wrote:
az_slynch wrote:I went the Kymco route. Bought a 2012 Yager GT200 and love it. Just about to roll 10K and it still runs perfect. I'm assuming at your price point that you got an Agility 125?

Thanks for the info. It's actually a 2009 Super 8 150
Nice score! I think you'll be pretty pleased with it. :clap:
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Yes The Super 8 I liked them, hope it works well for you. R
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

HECK of a deal! Nice find. I want one of those myself, but they sell for a lot more around these parts.