Buddy Light Mod Thought. Or not.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Buddy Light Mod Thought. Or not.

Post by jrsjr »

Hey, this picture gave me an idea. Has anybody ever added a nose light to their Buddy, centered, toward the bottom of the shield? Take a look at the pic that inspired this thought. Is anybody else feeling it or have I just wandered off into the trees by myself? Not that that's ever happened before or anything. Heh.
Attachments
pebblebeachcar.jpg
pebblebeachcar.jpg (76.5 KiB) Viewed 2950 times
Last edited by jrsjr on Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Do you mean like a Buddy GTV? :D
The majority is always sane - Nessus
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Yamaha C3.

Piaggio Liberty Poste 125.

Kymco Agility Carry.

Honda Dunk.

Honda Zook.

Suzuki Choi Nori.

Just some grist for the mill...
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I don't know about the Buddy headlight ...

I WANT THAT CAR!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

I added a set of LEDs from MondoMotos. The pair of lights together will draw down the battery so I plan to disable one of the pair or remove one and remount. The two together throw a heck of a lot of light. Some pics:
Attachments
Lights off
Lights off
Lights off.jpg (156.5 KiB) Viewed 2912 times
Lights on
Lights on
Lights on.jpg (98.56 KiB) Viewed 2912 times
Syd

Post by Syd »

Syd wrote:Do you mean like a Buddy GTV? :D
Buddy Tucker?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Syd wrote:
Buddy Tucker?
Only if we can figure out how to make it turn with the steering. Actually, that would be insanely cool, wouldn't it? I wonder if it could be done...
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

The panels on the front of the Buddy are so closely spaced that there is really no place to mount lights that would turn with the steering other than mounting a set of auxiliary lights on the shocks (about where the factory reflectors are mounted). Many cruiser style motorcycles use this setup and it works well to provide good foreground lighting as well as some distance lighting depending on the beam shape of the lights chosen.

There are all sorts of clamps and lights that should work well for this purpose, all you would need to do is measure the outside diameter of the front shocks and order the right size clamps.

Wiring anything to a moving part like a shock requires good protection for the wires and enough slack to travel with the full compression and extension of the shocks.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

jrsjr wrote:
Syd wrote:
Buddy Tucker?
Only if we can figure out how to make it turn with the steering. Actually, that would be insanely cool, wouldn't it? I wonder if it could be done...
Heh. And it would need to know a normal steer from a counter steer. I guess is's just simpler to light up the side that the bike leans toward. Maybe that's a simple weighted pivot.....
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Syd

Post by Syd »

PeteH wrote:
jrsjr wrote:
Syd wrote: Buddy Tucker?
Heh. And it would need to know a normal steer from a counter steer. I guess is's just simpler to light up the side that the bike leans toward. Maybe that's a simple weighted pivot.....
Incorporate a gyroscope to determine lean and Voilà :!:
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

Don't forget about a self-leveling feature as well, all dynamic headlight systems need one. Don't want to be blinding oncoming traffic :shock:

Ultimately, the best solution would probably be to figure out a way to get more juice out of the alternator so we can run higher wattage bulbs in the main headlight.

Sorting this out is way above my pay grade, but I'm sure someone on the list must be a genius electrical engineer who likes to tinker :?:
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I like for my lights to be mounted as high as possible. They are more visible and the lens stays cleaner.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

More than anything, I think what I was shooting for was something with this effect. I'm, uh, actually serious...
Attachments
Minions One Eye.JPG
Minions One Eye.JPG (11.36 KiB) Viewed 2837 times
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

I would simply get a couple of bicycle lights and mount those.Run em off their own battery power,forget using the scoots battery.

As Im sure your aware,there are so many good quality very bright bicycle lights out there.

howHH's lights look really nice! Good job! :D

Tim.

PS-Dont forget a whip light pole also. :shock:
Aerosmith, None Other.
AspenCafeRider

Post by AspenCafeRider »

I run this monstrosity. LED, switch above glovebox, wired in to a relay and powered off a splitter on the horn. Doesn't seem to tax the charging system or battery and it's crazy bright.

thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

Looks like the 18W 4.2" LED lights I put on the front of my Maddog 150.

I am working on a couple possibilities using either a PWM controller or a 100W 10 Ohm resistor to allow me to have low beam and high beam settings for the LEDs powered via the stock headlight switch.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
Syd

Post by Syd »

Are those lights directional like headlights are, or do they throw light everywhere?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

AspenCafeRider wrote:I run this monstrosity. LED, switch above glovebox, wired in to a relay and powered off a splitter on the horn. Doesn't seem to tax the charging system or battery and it's crazy bright.

That's awesome. I'm digging the asymmetric look. Very cool. Thanks for posting.
AspenCafeRider

Post by AspenCafeRider »

It pretty much throws a whole lot of light everywhere. Not terribly focused but there's plenty of it...

I dig the asymmetric look, came about because one of the plugs for the rack was popped out when I got the bike. Didn't want a rack and I didn't want to get new bodywork. The mount is bolted to the threaded rack mount and there's a 1" standoff to clear the bodywork.
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

The two most common types of LED work lights are the "flood" beam, which has a 60 degree spread and the "spot" beam, which has a 30 degree spread.

The spot light version will create far less beam over-spill and glare for oncoming traffic, but is still not legal for highway use. I am currently using a pair of the spot 18W 4.2" beam lights as daytime running lights on my Maddog 150 until I can find a pair of Ruckus headlights that I can swap in.

The stock headlights that came with the Maddog were dimmer than the flashlight on my cellphone from 10' away.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
misplacedyank

Turn Signal Conversion

Post by misplacedyank »

Since the Buddy doesn't use it's lower turn signals I decided to install some left over LED's from my Stella LED conversion. So I converted the unused turn signals into "fog lights". I'll install a switch so I can turn them off and on.
Attachments
They are much brighter than they appear in this photo
They are much brighter than they appear in this photo
Buddy-Turn-Signals.jpg (59.29 KiB) Viewed 2715 times
ImageImage
george54

Re: Turn Signal Conversion

Post by george54 »

misplacedyank wrote:Since the Buddy doesn't use it's lower turn signals I decided to install some left over LED's from my Stella LED conversion. So I converted the unused turn signals into "fog lights". I'll install a switch so I can turn them off and on.
No need to install a switch. Those LEDs draw such little power, just wire them so they come on when you turn on the ignition.

See the post right above yours and click on his "scooter accessories" link! :idea:
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

misplacedyank wrote:Since the Buddy doesn't use it's lower turn signals I decided to install some left over LED's from my Stella LED conversion. So I converted the unused turn signals into "fog lights". I'll install a switch so I can turn them off and on.
Wow! That's a cool setup. The response to this whole thread has been a great stuff. Thanks so much, everybody!
misplacedyank

Post by misplacedyank »

george54 wrote:No need to install a switch. Those LEDs draw such little power, just wire them so they come on when you turn on the ignition
I would install the switch so that some fine upstanding officer of the law can't saw I am blinding someone and can't turn off the lights.
ImageImage
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

What LED's/resistors did you use?
george54

Post by george54 »

misplacedyank wrote:
george54 wrote:No need to install a switch. Those LEDs draw such little power, just wire them so they come on when you turn on the ignition
I would install the switch so that some fine upstanding officer of the law can't saw I am blinding someone and can't turn off the lights.
Unlikely. They're not that bright.
misplacedyank

Lights used

Post by misplacedyank »

k1dude wrote:What LED's/resistors did you use?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301028612372?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
but any lamps like this will work.

As for not needed, many things I do to my scooters aren't needed but I just like to "make it mine".
Last edited by misplacedyank on Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
misplacedyank

lamps used

Post by misplacedyank »

k1dude wrote:What LED's/resistors did you use?
Sorry I got distracted on my previous post but there are no need for resistors when using LED's a lights. The resistors are only needed if using them as turn signals with a flasher that is made for regular (incandescent) lighting.[/quote]
ImageImage
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I used ThatVWBusGuy's wiring kit (no cutting or splicing) and these 1156-base LEDs from SuperBrightLEDs.com (they're in St. Louis and have a same-day pickup window): https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... ifications
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

PeteH wrote:I used ThatVWBusGuy's wiring kit (no cutting or splicing) and these 1156-base LEDs from SuperBrightLEDs.com (they're in St. Louis and have a same-day pickup window): https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... ifications
Ouch! $15 each vs the ebay ones for $2 each!
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I was looking for one with a nice, high lumen rating. The other thing to check is what maximum DC voltage can they handle? Early adopters of the VooDoo kits reported problems with certain LED modules that, as it turned out, didn't accept more than about 14 volts. There were some troubles with the EagleEye family, if I remember correctly. While this might be fine on some vehicles, some scooter charging systems sometimes threw out a bit more, depending on the wiring and condition of the regulator.

The ones from SuperBright are indeed more expensive, but their specs are well-published on the site, and they can accept up to 30VDC. Hopefully I won't have to replace them! If the eBay modules work well, please post a note to that effect so that the community can find 'em.
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

I have heard lots of reports of cheap 1156 LED bulbs purchased from eBay and Amazon etc. burning out quickly and several horror stories of overheating LED bulbs warping lenses and in one case, a complete melt-down of the plastic deadlight socket.

I trust the stuff that comes from www.superbrightleds.com and that is what I personally use. I have absolutely no affiliation with superbrightleds.com aside from being a happy customer.

I still prefer the white 3W LED w/ Reflector Lens from SBLEDs as the best bulb for the deadlight to running light conversion: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... -rvb/2364/

In the long run, the extra cost up front seems like a small price to pay for better visibility, less glare for oncoming traffic and reduced need to try to get into the fragile lenses of the deadlights any more than absolutely necessary.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories: