Thoughts on scooters and gender issues

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

george54 wrote:
ModernMike wrote:
laurfunkle wrote: My bad, I certainly am not meaning to start anything! I've just been on the wrong side of cat calling on my scoot and although I try not to let it get to me, some of the people that do it could very well (and sometimes obviously) have malicious intent. Maybe I did indeed take it the wrong way. More coffee please! :wink:
I wouldn't worry about apologizing. The OP wrote, "...these college guys will be rude to me while I'm riding. They'll yell obscene things at me or say things that make me feel like they are mocking or making fun of me." Her post was not rude, nor did she discribe rude or obscene acts or comments. It's her judgement and hers alone to determine what is rude or obscene. Dave was not there. I was not there. It's pretty tough to belittle someone's feelings regarding specific events when you are not there to witness the act or comments.
Mike, Dave and I were basing our replies solely on jackie103's LATEST post - Wednesday Sept. 9th- and not her first post. Yes, the first one referenced an instance that contained rudeness. Jackie later on related a story that I did not see as containing obvious rudeness. Maybe his intent was rudeness, but it saw it as at best, a friendly "hello" (maybe awkward due to the short time one has when someone is passing by on a scooter ) and, at worst, an attempt at flirtation.
I know of people who have been attacked on their scooters. To say, "at worst, an attempt at flirtation" dismisses the fact that we are more vulnerable on scooters than in a locked car. While likely a very rare instance, a whistle and compliment can be a distraction to gain time, to pull a victim in long enough for an attack. Based on this thread many of us women, at least, clearly feel more vulnerable on our scooters. Calling it "harmless" also downplays the mental/emotional aspects of street harassment.

Regarding, Jackie's post on Sept 9 -- In black and white, yes, it may seem harmless and friendly, but as any woman will tell you, it's all about the tone -- and we're usually pretty good at interpreting tone. I've gotten a million compliments on my scooter that have left me bright and beaming.

That said... whistling and yelling out at a woman on the street.... ummmm.... that's always gonna be very hard to pull off as "harmless flirtation."

First, I totally get it that it's easy for men to see themselves in the guy's position. You see an amazing, fascinating looking woman on a scooter, you have a split second to act, and naturally you want to engage. And you want to assume that because you would be acting in a friendly way, this other guy might have been too... and you wish women would see your intent, not assume the worst. I'm sure every man has been rudely ignored or had his head unfairly bitten off -- just for trying to be nice to a lady. And I know I've bitten heads off that probably didn't deserve it. Usually right after being nice to multiple people who didn't deserve it that then became pushy/rude/dangerous... Especially in a quick moment or when you're already feeling vulnerable, it can be hard for women to discern the good guys from the bad. So, if you know your intent was good, try not to take it personally. Just maybe consider a different approach for next time.

Try to understand that from our perspective, for the vast majority of the men who catcall on the street, it's NOT about being nice or giving a compliment: it's about objectifying, demeaning, intimidating, or being intentionally disrespectful/rude for the sake of a laugh or a power trip. And that's bullying. It's not harmless. Occasionally it crosses the line into real violence. As such, most women have been conditioned to respond negatively to anyone yelling out at them on the street; it usually triggers a pretty instant feeling of vulnerability and a very real fight-or-flight response.

Bottom line: Even if he was "just flirting" or just complimenting her scooter, it can be very difficult for a woman to be sure of that, and a woman always has every right and reason to act in the interest of her safety, to ignore him, and then be glad/relieved when the confrontation ends safely and easily.

As such, my dear good guys and gentlemen, please understand that predators and offensive jerks have pretty much ruined this method of flirting for all of you: whistling and yelling out at a woman on the street is almost NEVER taken as a compliment -- almost never good idea if you're genuinely interested in her -- and almost never a good idea if your intent is anything but to harass and intimidate her. It's just rare that this will feel "harmless" to the lady involved.
Scooter Commuter
george54

Post by george54 »

Without further evidence of nefarious intent, for you to bring in mentions of bullying and predators and state that you know of people attacked while on a scooter does not apply. As told by the OP without inferring anything more, it seemed like it could very well have been innocuous, that he persisted because she ignored him, and he thought she hadn't heard him and had to try again.

I understand your need to be safe and err on the side of caution, but sometimes a "hello" is just a hello.

I think you're very insecure. Or just love drama.
Invisibleanomaly

Post by Invisibleanomaly »

This thread includes the words "gender issues" in the title, so the fact that someone has gone out of their way to politely explain how a woman can feel threatened or vulnerable by catcalling and you are plowing over it and saying that she's wrong is completely missing the point.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I like turtles.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

george54 wrote:I think you're very insecure. Or just love drama.
Ha. :lol: :lol: Well, that's a classic silencing technique on gender issues. (How many ladies have heard that before while trying to explain the female perspective?) :lol: :lol:

But... let's be clear:
  • Attacking my character isn't going to stop me from trying to help others better understand where some of us are coming from when we ignore strange men on the street (and why you shouldn't take it personally when/if you find yourself being ignored.)
  • I'm not going to distract from the issue by defending or explaining my character; and
  • I'm not going to abandon that tough conversation by being suckered into a cheap tit-for-tat character-assination battle.
So, you don't have to agree with anyone's views or behavioral choices, but can we agree to stick to the revelation of and discussion of how these behaviors affect us as riders -- rather than attacking each other's personal character?
Scooter Commuter
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

So to focus on George's actual points... I think we agree on many things.
george54 wrote:Without further evidence of nefarious intent, for you to bring in mentions of bullying and predators and state that you know of people attacked while on a scooter does not apply.
Absolutely, I agree it means nothing to his intentions. However, I mention these things as background context to try to illuminate why the vast majority of women feel vulnerable and react negatively to being whistled to and yelled at on the street -- even if the man in question is just trying to say a nice, friendly hello. To say that context doesn't apply pretends we should all leave our experiences and lack of naivete at home before we ride. Who would advise that? Who would be capable of that?
george54 wrote:As told by the OP without inferring anything more, it seemed like it could very well have been innocuous, that he persisted because she ignored him, and he thought she hadn't heard him and had to try again.
Also very true. But I think it's safe to infer that, for whatever reason, this was unwelcome attention to the OP. Sure, he may simply have thought she didn't hear him. Or he may have been thinking that he'd come on stronger to force her to pay attention to him. <b>I don't know his intent in the least, and I'm not claiming to.</b> All I'm saying is the intentions of a stranger can be very hard for anyone to determine in a brief moment, and we all have a right to act in the interest of our comfort and safety to ignore anyone whose attention we interpret to be unwelcome or scary.

Jackie's post seemed to be sharing and celebrating the fact that simply ignoring this man made his unwanted behavior stop. That's pretty standard advice that most of us have heard from our mothers -- from the age when little boys who liked us pulled our hair or put frog's down our shirts. Imho, her's was a positive, rational, non-drama post, advocating that if you don't like the attention, just ignore it, and it's likely to stop. But she seems to have been attacked with sarcasm for that perspective. So, I'm trying to defend any woman who likely would act the same.
george54 wrote: I understand your need to be safe and err on the side of caution, but sometimes a "hello" is just a hello.
:lol: And on this most important point, I absolutely 100% agree!!! :lol:

See... I conceded this point when I said these two statements:
I've gotten a million compliments on my scooter that have left me bright and beaming.

I'm sure every man has been rudely ignored or had his head unfairly bitten off -- just for trying to be nice to a lady.

I'm not trying to defend being unnecessarily rude to men or always jumping to the negative assumption. And to beat a dead horse, I'm not trying to assume or attack the intentions of any individual I don't know. My only intent is to help others understand why women frequently ignore men who whistle and yell at them on the street ... and perhaps encourage a well-intentioned man just not to engage in such behavior and expect a warm, friendly response. Just my 2 cents on that expectation...
Scooter Commuter
george54

Post by george54 »

I guess you don't understand that you are repeatedly commenting on and replying to something that wasn't even said here either by me or anyone else.

Mentioning things as "background context" as you put it is not relative to what I or anyone else posted. I guess that you feel the need for a bigger discussion, but just stop making it sound like I defended rudeness or worse and start your own new thread.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

How about them Packers?
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

I only whistle at taxis, and even they ignore me. The only time I ever catcalled was when a long-ago girlfriend's little Angora-wrapped bundle of undiluted satanic evil wandered off: "Here Binky, Uncle Charlie has a nice polo mallet for you."
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

k1dude wrote:How about them Packers?
Yeah, this thread is way past its exp date so I'm going to close it. The truth of life, the universe, and everything is that wherever you go, there you are, even if you go on a scooter.