3000 mile service

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

TCaruso

3000 mile service

Post by TCaruso »

I hit 3000 on my Blackjack this summer. I usually send it in for service every spring for an oil change but thought I'd service it myself over the winter. It'll give me something to do plus I plan to plastidip a few things.

Naturally I plan to change the oil and filter. Any other suggestions? Should I consider rollers/sliders, a belt, or anything else? Does K&N make an air filter for the 150?

I was also wondering who might have the best selection of parts. This summer I switched my DRL bulbs for LED and the lens covers cracked coming off. I added a brake light modulator and the corner cracked when I removed that. These components haven't been separated in 6 years so they may not want to come off as I would like.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Gear oil for sure.

For removing the plastics - it can really take a lot of patience and working out which is the best way to pull or push or twist on some of this parts. The next good challenge is remembering which screws go where. Good luck!
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

K&N doesn't make a filter specifically for the Buddy but they make pod filters in various sizes that attach directly to the throttle body. Haven't tried one myself so I don't know what fits or if it would require a larger main jet. I drilled 3 one inch holes in my Metro airbox & yanked the metal screen out behind the filter & it gets up to speed a little quicker. A little more intake noise but not loud. I might try this on my Buddy sometime.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

babblefish

Post by babblefish »

At 3000 miles, your rollers and belt should still be good. Changing the gearbox oil is a good idea. Check the fuel filter for too much dirt.

If you do anything to the air filter system that increases air flow a significant amount, monitor your sparkplug color for any lean condition. If it indicates lean, you'll have to rejet the carb to compensate.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

*Don't do anything to your air box. The factory spent many man hours designing it... a $6 Ebay air filter is only going to hurt it.

As for 3k, change the engine and gear oil and change the oil filter. Remove your air filter and make sure nothing is living in there, but the air filter itself should be perfectly fine.
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

like others have said...oil/filter, gear oil is what I usually do a few weeks before winter storage (a month sooner this year due to time constraints in the upcoming weeks); I also top off with fresh high octane gas (91-93) for storage (octane levels go down in stale/old gas) and use a good stabilizer to keep the ethanol from separating out and attracting moisture which causes a nasty gum that gunks up the fuel system; in the past I have used Lucas ethanol stabilizer & StaBil Marine ...past 2 years I have used Starbrite StarTron and this year I am going to use K100 MG+; I also keep battery charged with a battery tender so it doesn't die;

good luck, have patience, and have fun with removal/reinstallation of the plastic panels!
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

What everyone else said.

There will usually be symptoms when your roller weights need changing. I usually hear it at specific speeds when there's a flat spot. But when that will be varies from rider to rider.
Scooter Commuter
TCaruso

Post by TCaruso »

I appreciate all the feedback. My oil filter arrived today and I'll pick up oil and gear fluid.

I always use 93 octane and top it off every winter but I never bother with a fuel stabilizer.