Why do I have to use excessive force for electric start?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Msm1771

Why do I have to use excessive force for electric start?

Post by Msm1771 »

The last couple months I have noticed that my electric starter on my 09 St Tropez won't work unless I squeeze the handbrakes super hard. It is getting more and more difficult. Any ideas what the cause could be?

Thanks!
youkiddin

Post by youkiddin »

check the safety switches on the levers
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Make sure the brake light comes on when you pull the levers, and that you dont have a delay from the safety pins in the lever assemblies sticking. A small shot of PB Blaster fixes them if sticking. You may also want to check your battery voltage just to see if a new one is in order. A stalled start can sometimes be a weak/dying battery symptom.
Msm1771

Post by Msm1771 »

Thanks guys
Msm1771

Post by Msm1771 »

sc00ter wrote:Make sure the brake light comes on when you pull the levers, and that you dont have a delay from the safety pins in the lever assemblies sticking. A small shot of PB Blaster fixes them if sticking. You may also want to check your battery voltage just to see if a new one is in order. A stalled start can sometimes be a weak/dying battery symptom.

Brake lights work perfectly fine. I give the handle a light squeeze and they come right on yet I must pull quite firmly on the lever to initiate the electric starter.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Is the issue the same with both brake levers?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…