MY GENUNIE BUDDY 125 DIES WHEN I HIT A BUMP

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lavish_Squalor

MY GENUNIE BUDDY 125 DIES WHEN I HIT A BUMP

Post by Lavish_Squalor »

I had my oil changed about a week ago and that night my Genuine Buddy 125 died after I hit a bump. I pulled over and it started right back up. I thought it was an anomaly--that possibly my heavy key chain had actually turned the scooter off when it hit the bump--but it did it again tonight. No way it was my keys.

I don't want to sound paranoid but my scooter has seemed a little off since the oil change. It seems as though it's louder and throatier.

It's only got 2,0000 miles on it's not even a year old. I'm calling the shop tomorrow but in the meanwhile . . . any ideas?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Check the sparkplug and the high tension lead going to it for tightness. If the sparkplug isn't tight, it could cause the louder sound, and if the lead isn't on correctly, it could cause the engine to die on bumps.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Lavish_Squalor

Post by Lavish_Squalor »

Thanks so much for the suggestion! I really appreciate it. I wouldn't know where to even begin looking for the spark plug and high tension lead but at least I can suggest it to the shop when I call.

Thanks again.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

The spark plug, along with the rest of the engine, is behind the footwell and below the seat. THere's a plastic cover on the front of the engine plastic that has 4 screws - one visible plus 3 under the floor mat. If you remove this cover, you can see where the heavy black wire runs to the "front"(top) of the engine. This is your spark plug wire and connector cap. It's made to pull straight off the engine to expose the spark plug screwed in underneath. Just pull that connector off the engine, then press it firmly back down onto the spark plug. Hopefully this tightens up the connection. If not, you might try tightening where the spark plug cap meets the wire - it threads on to the wire.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Also check battery connections. i've had this happen to me. Over time the battery connection slowly works loose and suddenly you go over a sewer cover and the bike dies. Reboot is immediately successful. checked the battery and sure enough it needs a few turns of a Phillips screwdriver.