Problem disassembling front variator bolt off buddy50

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rahibamin123

Problem disassembling front variator bolt off buddy50

Post by rahibamin123 »

Hello everyone,
I'm a noob and found a video designed to help delearships derestrict buddy 50 s. I went ahead and took off the plate tried to loosen the belt as wall shown. I am working with a manual 14 mm socket wrench and can't get the main nut on the variator to com off. The belt and the variator turn with each turn of wrench. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated
Thx
[/list]
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

In a case like this, toy need to secure the variator pulley or the crankshaft. Securing the variator can be risky without the proper tools and you could break cooling fins off.

The simplest solution which didn't require a special tool that I've ever come across was to remove the sparkplug and push a length of 3/8" rope through the plug hole into the cylinder and then turn the crank until the piston presses against the rope. The rope will act as a semi compressible piston stop and prevent the crank (and by extension, the variator) from turning. When you're dun, turn the crank back and pull the rope out.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I always used a strap wrench on my variator and had had it off many times. Works for re-torquing, too.
If that doesn't work for you, the 125's and 150's have 2 holes in the outer variator plate for attaching a tool to hold it in place. If the 50's have the same setup, you could do that. Search on here and you'll find how make the tool.

EDIT
Here ya go: topic21796.html#293020
Last edited by Tocsik on Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
rahibamin123

strap wrench

Post by rahibamin123 »

so strap wrench around the variator and to hold it in place and socket wrench to take the bolt off ?
Tocsik

Re: strap wrench

Post by Tocsik »

rahibamin123 wrote:so strap wrench around the variator and to hold it in place and socket wrench to take the bolt off ?
yup. strap around the body of the variator, not the fins. Same wrench for removing clutch.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
rahibamin123

strap wrench

Post by rahibamin123 »

this sounds very simple and i see one for 10 bux at the store thx. also since i wasnt able to get the nut off i carefully put everything back together i have noticed the little scooter moving slower do you think this may be because i loosened the belt a bit to try and hold the variator in place?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Use the 20% off coupon in the sunday paper and buy one of these:http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... act+wrench

Clamp it to your battery, don't plug it into the charger outlet. Take a sharpie and put a line across your crankshaft and variator nut. Tighten it back slightly past. I've had this impact wrench for the last two years. It works great.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

A tool to hold the variator and clutch is pretty useful for getting both off. Even if you use an impact to remove the nuts, you should still use a torque wrench to replace them, in which case you need a holder.

Something like this:
http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_page ... 0-GY6/8921
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

The only time a impact wrench gets close to our scooters is when we are changing out set-up rollers during tuning. Thats only to remove the nut, because its harder to remove it when its hot. Still use a strap wrench to hold the variator when re-installing the nut. Impact wrenches are very handy, especially if you like tuning. And the Sharpie trick to re-tighten the nut works very well also if you dont have a torque wrench yet.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

ericalm wrote:A tool to hold the variator and clutch is pretty useful for getting both off. Even if you use an impact to remove the nuts, you should still use a torque wrench to replace them, in which case you need a holder.

Something like this:
http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_page ... 0-GY6/8921
This tool won't work on the 50's variator. Unlike the 125, 150 and 170i the outer variator face doesn't have the indentations to hold the variator tool. I totally agree with the holder and torque wrench when you can. I owned a Vespa ET2. I bought the HF 12v wrench to get it's variator off and on. Otherwise, here is my tool of choice: Took 10 minutes to make, and cost was free.

babblefish

Post by babblefish »

az_slynch wrote:In a case like this, toy need to secure the variator pulley or the crankshaft. Securing the variator can be risky without the proper tools and you could break cooling fins off.

The simplest solution which didn't require a special tool that I've ever come across was to remove the sparkplug and push a length of 3/8" rope through the plug hole into the cylinder and then turn the crank until the piston presses against the rope. The rope will act as a semi compressible piston stop and prevent the crank (and by extension, the variator) from turning. When you're dun, turn the crank back and pull the rope out.
This is actually the cheapest and easiest way to lock up the crank. No way of damaging the variator. Useful for locking up the clutch bell, too. I used this technique before I got my electric impact wrench.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

did you get this sorted out, rahib?
rahibamin123

Post by rahibamin123 »

Unfortunately I'm having issues with my fancy apartment/loft complex they prefer to not see me working on the moped trying to arrange to use a friends garage. However since I didn't get the nut off I put everything back together I've noticed that it going about 7-10 mi/hr slower. Have I loosened my timing belt? It's running fine a lower than usual idle though.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

I always use an impact both ways. The first removal usually requires the air impact. After that I only use the ridged 18v hex drive cordless impact. However this is not for the inexperienced. It's easy to damage the crank. I've seen 2 people do it.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.