Lost acceleration, sputtered, and died. Thoughts on a cause?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rower

Lost acceleration, sputtered, and died. Thoughts on a cause?

Post by rower »

Hi All,

Newbie here. Let me start by saying Shiva, my scooter, has been my faithful companion for the past three months. (Buddy 50, Bought her brand new, now have 800 miles on it). I love her dearly and we're hardly separated. I have no idea what happened and I don't know how to fix it (well, I'm taking it to the shop but ultimately I want to learn how to fix this myself) but I'd looking for advice on what others may think could have happened?

Yesterday, I drove into work ~7 miles and everything was totally normal. I left to go home and was sitting in traffic, but once the road opened up I noticed I was having trouble accelerating - like MAJOR deficit compared to normal. Full throttle and I'm watching my odometer drop down, 35....30....25....... then I throw on my hazards and move to the side of the road because I have no idea what's happening. I took my hand off the throttle and started to brake (just a quick squeeze at first), when I released the break it made a "WHRRRRRRMMM" noise and surged forward. I hit the brakes again and then the kill switch.

Once on the sidewalk out of traffic, I could put the key in and got battery power, but no electric start, no kick start, nothing.

I'm in Boston so my thoughts were maybe something to do with the gas line? But it was about 55* yesterday, and I drove into work just fine despite the cold happening over night. (Stored in a shed at home, garage at work.)

I put oil in her on Saturday, I had about 1/3 a tank of gas. All systems seemed go, and now? Nothing. I'm heartbroken until tomorrow when I can get into the shop.

Has this happened to anyone else? I've heard the Buddy 50s can be finicky little buggers - hence her Shiva the Destroyer name - but I didn't expect this.
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

Hate to hear of poor little scoots not behaving themselves. :P

What kind/brand of oil did you use?
mhardgrove

Post by mhardgrove »

Could be any number of things, but where it is 3mo have the dealership look at it. I had a coil go south once on a Spree and it slowed like yours did. Just decelerated and started misfiring.
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

rower wrote:. I hit the brakes again and then the kill switch.

Once on the sidewalk out of traffic, I could put the key in and got battery power, but no electric start, no kick start, nothing. .
Did your kill switch get stuck in the off position? -- I've seen several Buddy scooters have a "sticky" control kill switch in which it has to be pressed on very hard to turn it back on... also seen them get gummed up pretty bad.

Did you lose spark because the CDI died?

Did you lose spark because the Stator died?

Is there a short somewhere else?

These are all questions that you can probably answer but if you haven't thought of some of these you might find your problem.
The red ones are faster.
boyjeenyus

Does the starter spin?

Post by boyjeenyus »

Would the starter motor actually spin, or just click? I think that CDI/Stator could be the cause, or it could easily be a clog somewhere in the fuel line or carb. Let us know what it was!
STephen
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

It sounds like multiple problems. I was going to suggest a bad stator, but not after only 800 miles. It also wouldn't explain the no kick start or electric start unless the battery was too low from the bad stator. Re-charge your battery and check to make sure it hasn't gone bad. Then start to walk your way through both fuel and spark. Odd.
Dooglas

Re: Lost acceleration, sputtered, and died. Thoughts on a ca

Post by Dooglas »

rower wrote:I'm in Boston so my thoughts were maybe something to do with the gas line?
:D

From your description, it could be any number of things. The bike is evidently still under warranty, so why not let the dealer sort it out for you?